terrified about getting on the scales :-(

Options
I have been on my official diet for 2 weeks now. last week i went gym 4 times and ate healthy and only lost 1 pound, but i think it should have been my TOM, this week ive been gym 3 times and been good but im absolutely terrified about getting on the scales. if ive not lost ill be gutted :(

Replies

• clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just remember that the scales aren't everything! Measure yourself too and if you really are dreading getting on the scale.....don't! Life is too short, if you are exercising more and eating less of better foods then you are going to lose weight and shape up!!! Good luck Debbie
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    All you can do is make good choices every day or as often as you can and exercise. If you do this, make good choices the rest falls into place. For some faster then others but it will happen. Eventually the scale will be your friend.
  • runjenrun
    runjenrun Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    dont let it ruin your goals! even if you havent lost any weight you may have replaced fat with muscle. muscle weighs more than fat so maybe it will help keep your spirits up if you start taking measurements! the scale is a scary place, i have trouble with it myself. but its just a number, go by how you feel! youve obviously been doing good!
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea...........DON"T WEIGHT YOURSELF! This was a very hard lesson for me to swallow (pun intended). I was working out so hard every day for 2 weeks, when it came time to weight in I'd only lost .8lb! I was crushed, so say the least. My workout buddy suggested we measure again, since we had measured before starting to workout together. I had lost 6 inches! 6 INCHES!! I was so ecstatic! Moral of the story is this, you can lose fat and look and feel better without losing pounds. Keep with your healthy lifestyle and the pounds will come off, but please don't make that the only thing that matters to you =)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Then don't. Your calorie goals are much more important that the weekly weigh in. Sit down and prepare for the new week without a weigh in. It's more important that you stick with your changes than that you know what you are losing from week to week. If the scale is going to discourage you, dump it.

ps. 1lb doesnt sound like much but it really is the perfect amount to be losing, not something to berate yourself over. It' adds up over time- this is a marathon, not a sprint. You aren't overweight enough to be losing more than 1lb a week safely.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Then stay off the scale. It's just a number! Taking regular body measurements is a much more accurate way to guage your fat loss. The scale doesn't differentiate between fat and muscle or water weight. I only weigh myself every couple of weeks because I'm really not too concerned with what it says. I can see the difference every time I go to the gym and see a little more muscle peeking through. My actual weight loss has been very slow since I started on MFP, but my body is undergoing a very significant transformation. If I just went by the scale, as so many do, I'ld be tempted to give up. Don't worry about a number on the scale!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    What they ^ said! The scale has dictated my life for the last 4 weeks. And I just went through a good 2 weeks with no weight loss at all, and finally got 0.2 pounds gone this morning. If (like me) it frustrates you and makes you a litle crazy, just stay off the thing for a while. Concentrate on moving and being healthy - and it doesn't have any choice but to come off eventually. :)