Problems w/ working out

Options
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had anything motivational or useful that I could read that can help me. When I work out at home using my stationary bike, after 10-15 minutes it feels long and excruciating. I sweat a ton by this time, and feel completely drenched. Beyond that, my mind tells me that I've overworked myself and that I should stop. My motivation is very low, and it's very hard to get myself to work out, or to keep working out. Is this normal, and should I push past 15 minutes even if it's this painful for me?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to find something you enjoy so much that it does not seem like a chore, whether that be walking, swimming, running, cycling, boxing, martial arts, pole dancing, zumba, gymnastics, circus arts, rollerskating or any number of other choices.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    As the above poster said, it does help to be doing something you enjoy. However, there are still going to be days when you are blah about making it happen.

This is where motivation fails you and habits must keep you going. Keep training - just do it. Pretty soon, you will have built the habit into your days and then when you don't work out - you will feel like something is missing from your day.
  • lastnamehoward
    Options
    thank you, I agree with you both. I should try more different types of work outs. all I have at home is a stationary bike and a machine that is very very difficult for me to use. I'm going to try to find a friend and see if I can start going to a gym or somewhere with different kinds of machines and work outs and hopefully it will become distracting.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you watch TV at home turn the intensity down on the bike and only let yourself watch TV while you are on the bike. An hour of low intensity will burn calories as well as 10 minutes of high intensity work
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had anything motivational or useful that I could read that can help me. When I work out at home using my stationary bike, after 10-15 minutes it feels long and excruciating. I sweat a ton by this time, and feel completely drenched. Beyond that, my mind tells me that I've overworked myself and that I should stop. My motivation is very low, and it's very hard to get myself to work out, or to keep working out. Is this normal, and should I push past 15 minutes even if it's this painful for me?

Lacking motivation is your real problem.

It's going to hurt. It's supposed to hurt. So yeah, keep going after 15 minutes because the stationary bike is one of the easiest cardio workouts you can get. Honestly, it doesn't get much easier than that. Slow down the pace you are pedaling at if you are in that much pain after 15 minutes.

If I can do it with supra-ventricular tachycardia, POTS, and exercise-induced syncope, you sure as hell can do it.

Change your mindset so you can change your body.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding some variety to your work out. It shouldn't be easy, but you shouldn't be MISERABLE either. Cardio (bike, treadmill etc) bores me to tears, so I changed up my routine to doing far more weight training than cardio. I'm still losing weight, definitely gaining muscle tone, and I ENJOY working out (not to be confused with it being EASY, it's not easy, but I like it).
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you are determined to use the stationary bike, maybe try watching something at the same time to make it pass faster? Or, if weather and safety permits it, go for an actual bike ride?

I found exercising with free videos on youtube (I like the Fitness Blender channel) is far more enjoyable for strength training days than just doing it on my own. It gives you something to focus on.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If I was on a stationary bike at home I'd probably only make it 15 minutes as well. Soooooo boring.
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it's wise, if you're struggling to do what you're capable off til your fitness level increases. Like the healthy amount advertised is at least 30 minutes of activity a day. Or as people have mentioned, you tend to not notice you're actually exercising when it's something you enjoy rather than a chore you feel you need to do. Like I could play badminton or swim for hours 'cause I enjoy them, like I only found myself able to use stuff like exercise bikes (I had my own but never use it, it has no tension), treadmills and all at a gym where it just has such a lovely fitness vibe. For motivation you could try following some of the fitness blogs on tumblr, they tend to post motivational quotes, pictures, some do recipes and lifestyle motos kind of (Like 4 things for a good life, Eat Well, Work Out, Drink Water, Sleep Well). Just search "fitspo" or "fitness motivation" in the search bar for it. There's like wewillbefitandhealthy, eatwelltrainhard, fitaholics? I think.

You could also consider DVD's or a game to work out, like My Fitness Coach (on all platforms I think, even PS2, with My Fitness Coach Club on the PS3, as well as Wii and Xbox versions), Wii Fit, my personal trainer or Zumba. I find it easier to keep going when I have something like that to focus on than just trying to push myself to complete 30 minutes on a bike.
  • cburke719
    Options
    Try doing something different like walking. You should probably try to push past the 15 minute mark and head into a phase where your muscles are warmed up and now ready to really go.

This happens to me when I walk and my knees hurt and I push past that and it becomes more comfortable and I just move into a rhythm until I've completed my routine. One suggestion, either listen to music, watch a movie or listen to a downloaded book. I prefer the books and look forward to my daily exercise routine. I've been doing this for over 2 years and have walked over 2500 miles and moving.

Good luck and keep moving....

Cheryl
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    My elliptical is where I allow myself to binge-watch my "shows". Other than that I'm pretty much restricted to watching sports or my kid's shows.

So...currently it's "Big Love". Prior to that it was "Orange is the new black".

It makes the time go and takes your mind off of it if that' the exercise you can do. It's nice if you can mix it up with things that are more enjoyable but that's not always possible (after my PF last year I could barely walk. It was elliptical or nothing and it was helping me heal).
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If the stationary bike is your only option, maybe try to add distraction.
    Watch tv, read a book, listen to a book, music.
    Typically as I get n better shape I get more motivated to keep going! Adding more exercise as I go!
    If nothing else keep going at least the 15 mins. Or try adding a couple different sessions thru out your day.
    Fitnessblender.com has a bunch of free workouts. If I'm strapped for time I do at least a 10 or 15min video.
    Kettlebells are my favorite!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Another obviously fake first post from an MFP employee paid to up the post count. Do they have no shame?
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Audiobooks! I almost exclusively exercise on the stationary bike and have found listening to audiobooks ONLY when I bike is a big motivator if I want to find out what happens next. :wink: Don't worry about your stamina, that will come in time. I started out only being able to manage a paltry 4 minutes before I was winded and had to stop. Now I can go up to 90 minutes if I push myself. It will come. Seriously, find some audiobooks you love and ONLY listen to them while you bike. :flowerforyou:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Another obviously fake first post from an MFP employee paid to up the post count. Do they have no shame?

What are you talking about????
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I understand. It really is hard to start working out, and I am still working on ramping up my commitment in that area. I find it hard to fit it in. I agree with putting some variety in the mix. It will be hard at first, but don't give up. Finding something you enjoy will help tremendously. Working out with a friend is a good idea. Committing to someone else is motivation. It is important they also be motivated. I just committed to doing some light exercises for 25 minutes while watching a tv show instead of sitting there. Moving is good and basically it is whatever works.
  • lastnamehoward
    Options
    wow, this was a whole lot more replies then I would have imagined. Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to keep going, last night when I posted that I ended up making it up to 45 minutes, but I took a few breaks in between. I've also been talking to a friend at work that goes to a gym, and told him in the future I was thinking about going out there and working out as well. But I'm going to get on my bike today and watch some netflix and hopefully this time will be easier then last. (: