(Gluten-free) "stir-fry," high in protein!

Options
ana3067
ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
Thought I'd share my "stir-fry" recipe. I use quotations because it didn't really come out tasting like stir-fry, but still tasted really good. Probably would need more soy sauce or different spices, so if any comments on how you'd get more of a typical stir fry flavour, do share!

stir-fry_zpse818d632.png

I weigh all my food, so no measurements will be given. You could potentially figure out measurements by converting to measurements, but no guarantees on accuracy. I also use all of my own custom foods to calculate calories from the macros - using the given calories will give you a different calorie count, but it will be close-ish.

But here's a breakdown of the amount of food I used:
- 4 smallish chicken breasts, raw
- 2 long carrots, peeled
- ~3 handfuls of spinach
- 2-3 crimini mushrooms
- 2-3 tbsp of soy sauce (I use Vh brand, which is GF for the reduced salt one at least, based on the ingredients)
- 1tsp oil for the pan
- ~1 cup frozen corn (not on the cob)
- for the noodles, I really don't know how else to describe it other than in weight. I guess like 2 handfuls of noodles?
- about half a can or so of white kidney beans.

Honestly I just threw it all together. Soaked the noodles until they were bendy but not soggy, so the liquid in the pan did end up absorbing into the noodles and softened them further. Just stirred and covered until well cooked. Added a bit of chili, pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder (out of onions :( ) to the dish as well. I figure it could have done with a bit more salt, no chili, and maybe a bit more soy sauce or some chicken broth because I wound up adding a bit of water to it because the noodles absorbed too much liquid. I'd advise adding the noodles last and when it's no longer on the heat to prevent this.

Otherwise, it tasted pretty good, dad enjoyed it too. THe corn gives it a nice sweetness, the beans make it a bit meatier, and it was very filling. I normally eat 500+ cals a meal, and at a 2/3rds of my normal meal calories this left me feeling quite full! I'm still full actually. IT was a pretty big serving too, probably because it's low in fat which makes it a bit less calorie dense despite all the carbs.

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Using sesame seed oil instead of olive oil and adding snow peas instead of corn for sweetness may give it a more traditional Asian flavor. Oh and ginger...
  • Dorothyk351
    Dorothyk351 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Using sesame seed oil instead of olive oil and adding snow peas instead of corn for sweetness may give it a more traditional Asian flavor. Oh and ginger...

Didn't have ginger and need new ginger spice, but will totally try that next time. Also was out of peas :( Will have to try sesame seed oil though, thanks!