Do any of y'all do this for motivation too?

Options
Earlier this year I got the bright idea to buy some new clothes that were a little too small for me to use as motivation to lose weight.

It actually worked for me. So I decided to do the same thing this morning, bought a new shirt and pair of shorts that I can't quite fit into yet.

Do any of y'all do that sort of thing too?

Replies

• suzi42
    suzi42 Posts: 2
    Options
    No I dont, I buy the clothes after I have lost, like a reward. Congrats and keep up the great work
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time. Those clothes will soon be donated, though. They float! :)

Congrats to you, as well.
  • Trez32
    Trez32 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've done it before and believe its a great motivator!
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    yeah, i've done this, nice when they fit better, i find it a decent marker of my hard work.
    keep up the hard work!
  • riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and it doesn't work for me. It just frustrates me because I lose my weight in different places every time.

A few years ago I dropped almost 20lbs in 3 months and my pants were HUGE but my tops were still tight as I hadn't lost anything in my arms, back, or bust.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it works! A pair of shorts that I bought this past Spring were too small, and now, they're getting too baggy! Yay! Congrats to you on your forward thinking and hard work.:flowerforyou:
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do this too, but only 1-3 pieces of clothing at a time. Right now I've got a pair of jean shorts. The first time I tried them on I couldn't even get them all the way up. Now they're buttoned, zipped, and almost presentable enough to wear out of the house.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When I buy new clothes, I buy for my current size, but I get one item that's one size smaller.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've done it and I've also had a photo of me at my goal weight blown up and put in my home gym with a pair of my "skinny jeans" hanging beside it.
  • theycallmearth
    theycallmearth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've done it and I've also had a photo of me at my goal weight blown up and put in my home gym with a pair of my "skinny jeans" hanging beside it.

That's actually a good idea. I may try that....minus the skinny jeans part.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options

That's actually a good idea. I may try that....minus the skinny jeans part.

Love this idea! I'll take the skinny jeans too!
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Great idea, thanks!
  • bahston615
    bahston615 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have 5 new suits I'm waiting to have tailored and brought in. Although a work in progress I'm determined to get them to fit since my current one's are getting worn out. Dress shirts too. (I'm business formal everyday so the majority of my day is in a suit)
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have done it. It's not something I did/do regularly, but if I saw something that either didn't come in my size OR that did, but it looked horrible on me, and I knew would look awesome if lost weight- I would buy it in a few sizes smaller and that was my inspiration to get that weight off. Like someone else mentioned, I've had things taken in now, too. Some of my favorite things that I had from when I was bigger, I did have them taken in to fit me now. I've ended up having to donate most of my old clothes, though. I will NOT ever allow myself to go back to a 5X or 32/34W again.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I feel like this would not motivate me, simply because my goal is not simply weight loss but specifically is for fat loss. I want to eventually start bulking to increase strength and muscular size (wiht a proper hypertrophy routine mixed in with strength). My butt and legs are already more muscular and thus larger than they were compared to when I first lost weight, so I have no idea how things in a smaller size will fit me. It's like how I have usually had to size up in tops with sleeves because I carry a lot of weight in my upper arms so they are disproportionate to my frame and size.

but, I do try on old clothes an it does feel good when they fit. But some clothes are no longer fitting well because my butt is taking up more room than it used to. I was wearing a dress earlier this week and as I walked by a building I looked at myself and thought "holy *kitten*, I have an *kitten*" whereas in the past in that dress, my posterior did not look nearly as fabulous.
  • laurenyntema
    Options
    I have clothes from years ago that fit me at that time... I fit into them again now years later!

That is super motivation for me. And to think that in the future those clothes that once I barely fit into will be too big for me, now THAT is something I look forward to.
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i went through my closet a few weeks ago and took out everything that i can't fit into anymore, so once i lose enough weight to fit back into that stuff, it'll kind of be like shopping :)
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this. I have a ton of clothes in my closet which fit when I lost some weight a few years ago and before I even got to wear them, I started gaining again. I have been determined to fit in to them again, but so far not successful. Have been determined not to give up. So I think I will start cleaning my closet as my next project and get rid of a few things and take another look at what I have.
  • oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ill try that
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I did with a couple pairs of jeans that were on clearance (one at $14, the other the final pair left at $5)