Last 5 lbs hard to lose during period. HELP!

Options
How do I drop the last 5 lbs during my period. I know that I retain water and blow up by 3 lbs for the whole week of my period. I'm 5'3 106 lbs and 22/female if that matters. I do exercise (running/light lifting) and eat healthy.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Exactly how long is your period lasting that you think you're going to drop 5 lbs in that timeframe?
  • beep1o
    beep1o Posts: 2
    Options
    Since your bmi is 18.8 and very close to underweight, I would say you don't. Be happy with yourself instead.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Exactly how long is your period lasting that you think you're going to drop 5 lbs in that timeframe?

WOW, if I have to wait for a period to lose the last 5 pounds, I'm SOL since my last one was in 1994!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How long is your period, exactly? I think wanting to drop 5lbs in that time is highly unrealistic, expecially if it is your "last" 5lbs...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    5lbs in a week? :noway:

If you're referring to trying to lose during that week in general, best to stay away from the scale during that time, because nearly every woman sees a temporary gain during that time. The good news is that it's not fat gain, and scale will go the other direction again in short order.

If you're in this for life, get used to the fact that periods are a regular part of life and how to deal with the fluctuations. :smile:
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    why do you have to lose 5lbs during your period. This may help with your question or advice on your question
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Wut?

If I don't gain weight during my period I do a little dance.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm....wait till your periods over
  • pabstvortex
    pabstvortex Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue making weight loss progress during your period, just keep on truckin' and ignore the pre-menstrual weight gain that almost everyone must endure, because it doesn't mean anything. It's just a little temporary bloat, and will be gone in a few days.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The average period lasts 3-5 days...

1. Can you not wait 3-5 days?
    2. Do you really think that you can lose 5lbs in 3-5 days?
    3. I can't even
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    How do I drop the last 5 lbs during my period. I know that I retain water and blow up by 3 lbs for the whole week of my period. I'm 5'3 106 lbs and 22/female if that matters. I do exercise (running/light lifting) and eat healthy.
    Oh my goodness. You're worried about water retention from your period? That's not weight, that's necessary retention. It happens to all women who have their periods. Heck, water retention happens when you ovulate, and even when you are in menopause like me and no longer have periods. Better yet, water retention even happens to men.

Seriously, I'll bet once your period ends you will lose some of that water.

As for losing the last five pounds- that should take you five weeks, or a month and a quarter at a half pound loss per week, because it's not much weight at all. However, you are already underweight. Check this out:

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

You've lost 44 pounds already, which is a wonderful accomplishment. Have you spoken to your doctor about losing more weight? It sounds to me like you are heading down the path of an eating disorder.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you don't NEED to lose 5lbs, but certainly not in a week.
    You survive your period just like the rest of us do, it's only a week and you're very VERY light as it is.
  • sims92
    sims92 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I guess I do sound dumb asking how to lose weight during my period. I'll just wait until it's over.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    5'3 and 106...

The healthy weight range for a 5'3" tall woman is 104-140. If you're looking for a certain body shape, perhaps it is time to look into strength training and eating more. Trying to lose 5 lbs off of 106 at 5'3" puts you squarely into "underweight" and those 5lbs will do nothing for body appearance. I don't know if wanting to weigh 101lbs is a vanity number or what but really at your size I'd throw the scale away and look into strength training.
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose 5 lbs, exercise and dietary restriction (moderate, not excessive... but not giving into menstrual cravings) can actually result in a seemingly big weight loss when the water retention and menstrual bloating subsides. Gain 6 lbs pre-menstrual? Keep working and eating right and after its all over, see the scale 8lbs lower.

I lose the bloat on day one of my cycle. So the very next day (day 2 of period), I weigh myself. Every month. If I weigh myself more than that, its for informational purposes on weight fluctuation and not for progress.