So so tired... ALL THE TIME!

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone else deals with almost constant fatigue and daily headaches? I have a B12 deficiency that I’ve been trying to correct with supplements for around 2.5 months now. I’ve also been using Herbalife for 3 weeks (Ultimate program). All other vitamin and mineral levels are normal. My diet is well balanced and I try to be active for at least half an hour every day, although some days are a struggle just to stay awake!

I do have a history of depression and have been taking Zoloft for 6 months now which has helped immensely. These symptoms have been on and off for a few years now, sometimes I’m tired for a month, sometimes it’s 6 months, it sort of pops up every 3-6 months. Sometimes exercise helps, sometimes it makes me feel much worse. Docs have never been able to quite pinpoint one reason why I get so tired all the time.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Replies

• jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Have they checked your vitamin D level?
  • KeshiaBeard
    Options
    Vitamin D is normal, as are all other vitamin and mineral levels.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I looked a your diary and it doesn't look like you're eating enough. If I ate that little, I'd be tired too (I know, because I've done it).
  • KeshiaBeard
    Options
    Hi sistrsprkl, the trouble is that if I eat any more I gain weight. I've worked out that 1400 calories is my maintenance (I'm quite short, only 5'2"). I'm eating so little at the moment because I'm struggling to find the energy for any kind of demanding exercise, so I'm not burning many calories a day. A 30 minute walk is about my limit right now. I've tried being casual about logging and allowing myself to eat more over the last couple of months but this has resulted in a 3kg weight gain, which on my frame is a lot!
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you are aware of your vitamin deficiency and that you are taking the necessary steps to keep it in check. I suffered from this problem for months. The biggest reason I was tired all the time was because everything I was doing was sucking away at my emotional energy like a vaccuum. I was in a job where I did not feel adequate, I was in a body that made me feel constant shame, and I was in a relationship that gave me no validation or emotional support. I wouldn't acknowledge these problems so they manifested by sucking away all of my physical energy. I suggest you examine your life and try to see if something or someone is sucking away at your energy.

Something that works for some people is regulating their sleep schedule. It can be as simple as that.
  • anaxione
    Options
    i had the same problem for a LONG time, so i went to a ketogenic (low carb, high protein, high fat) diet and started taking potassium in the form of salt substitute (1tsp a day mixed into lemon water) and i was feeling better after the first week. even if your vitamin and mineral levels are 'normal', keep in mind they may not be *optimal*. i would take a detailed look at your individual levels and do some research on what the optimal levels are, and find a way to supplement them. if you
    so many people don't get enough potassium, and it's so hard to get enough from food on a restricted calorie diet, even with taking the tablet form (which are only sold in 99mg doses to prevent people from overdosing and dying, apparently [potassium lowers blood pressure, which means if you take enough, it could kill you, but that would be a lot of potassium!] which is why the salt substitute is such a magical thing).
    it is also usually beneficial to turn the lens inward and deal with any stressors or anxieties you can identify, like mallorytravel suggested. i gained 25 pounds working retail over the holidays a few years ago, and i was eating normally the whole time! anyways, that's my recommendation! good luck figuring it out!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Hi sistrsprkl, the trouble is that if I eat any more I gain weight. I've worked out that 1400 calories is my maintenance (I'm quite short, only 5'2"). I'm eating so little at the moment because I'm struggling to find the energy for any kind of demanding exercise, so I'm not burning many calories a day. A 30 minute walk is about my limit right now. I've tried being casual about logging and allowing myself to eat more over the last couple of months but this has resulted in a 3kg weight gain, which on my frame is a lot!

If I were you, unless you have PCOS or hypo(or hyper? I forget)thyroidism, I'd check my TDEE on a few websites to see what my average estimated intake should be for maintaining my weight. You'll probably find that it's a fair bit higher than 1400, even if sedentary.

So lets say a calculator puts you at about 1800 a day based on your current activity levels, and for fat loss 1450 would be the lowest you want to eat. If you're eating... idk, 1200 right now (haven't looked at your diary), then once or twice a week increase your intake by 50 calories (or once a week by 100) until you reach 1450. At that time, STAY at that caloric level even if you gain. Any gains you will make should be dropped after a few weeks, especially if you make sure to stay consistent with activity levels and stay very well hydrated. I've increased calories before and did gain water-weight. But it goes away. I increased from 1800 to 2000 (actually up to 2250, but that was not something I stuck to long) and still was able to lose overall.

I'd rec exrx.net and health-calc

Allowing yourself to eat more isn't a bad thing. You just need to still log it to ensure you're not eating above your ideal maintenance.

ETA: a few more things:
    1) stop taking gimmicky supplements
    2) log consistently. You're not logging consistently, so how are you supposed to tell if what you're eating is working for you for fat loss?