Karate Promotion & 2-Board Break

Options
millerll
millerll Posts: 873 Member
Today was my test for promotion in karate. I was awarded my green belt - not that impressive a rank, but I'm happy with my progress. The best part was the board breaking. It's only mandatory for men, but I'm not one to let the guys have all the fun. I broke two boards - and yes, I have proof! New profile pic is of the break.

I only started karate 10 months ago. I was in a rut in my gym routine, and was looking for something new to spice things up. I really enjoy martial arts, but really, you should just pick something you've always wanted to try and just go for it. I hear so many people my age (52) saying they can't do this, and they can't do that, because they're too old. Bollocks! The only thing holding you back is you! You may have to make some adaptations, but just about any athletic pursuit can be enjoyed, no matter what your age.

It may take me a little longer, and I'll have to work hard, but I know for a fact that I can make black belt by 60 as long as the old bod holds out, if I really want it badly enough.

Just thought I'd post this for a little inspiration for the young at heart out there. Chase your dreams!

Replies

• Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Good job!

Some of the best martial artists I've met didn't start till their 50's or even later. All it takes is hard work and persistence... you can do it for sure :)
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Nice work! I'm hoping to start some Hapkido soon if I can get my back to cooperate.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I will be testing for my black belt in a couple of months and know how rewarding each promotion can be. That being said we never broke boards although it sounds like fun.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wonderful! You rock!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Great job.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!