Am I weird that my goal weight is 175

Options
I'm a 5 foot 5 woman who currently weight 183. I weighed 215 a few months ago. I weighed 175 in the past and I liked the way I looked at that weight. Is if strange that my goal is to weigh 175 and maintain that weight?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is about 15lbs heavier than my previous weight. Whatever weight is both healthy and comfortable for you is fine to strive for.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Nope not at all!

End of the day your goal is all about how you'll feel in yourself. Plus I think folk can often set a GW in the beginning and that changes as they progress forward. A prime example of this would be when folk start with lifting programs, something like that can drastically change what their initial goal number was.
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight is exactly that, YOUR GOAL. If this is where you are happy then I say go for your gaol.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    BMI says 150 is the max weight for 5'5 and still be healthy. I'm 5'5 started at 230, my original goal was 150, but now I'm down to 138, so do whatever feel comfortable to you. I know a lot of people think the BMI scale is stupid, but to I say to each their own.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 175 as well, and I am 5'7. I might get there and decide to lose more weight, but for now that's my goal.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5 foot 5 woman who currently weight 183. I weighed 215 a few months ago. I weighed 175 in the past and I liked the way I looked at that weight. Is if strange that my goal is to weigh 175 and maintain that weight?

No. If you are happy with how you feel and how you look when you reach that goal, then kudos! Also, just because you set a goal doesn't mean you can't change it later. Keep up the good work!
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Not at all! One of my friends said she felt better about herself any time she stays above a US size 14 jean. When she got skinnier than that, she would intentionally gain more weight.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all!

My goal weight is 184 pounds.

I started at 296.5 and decided I'd be more than happy just to be out of the OBESE category on the BMI charts.

I'll still be in the highest 'overweight' number...but I'm good with that. :)

I looked at images of real women on the My Body Gallery website and found that those who were my height (5' 6") and weighed 185 look pretty darn great. :happy:
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Far from crazy, at the end of the day it's only a number. If you felt great there, then shoot for it.

My goal is 163 and I am 5'4" :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Of course not. Set a manageable goal, that you're going to be happy with. There's nothing wrong with that.

My ultimate goal weight was 200 lbs. I carried on to 188, where I am now. At this point I'm just focusing on getting fitter and healthier and not so much on my weight. Whatever happens, happens in regards to that.

But I took loads of flack on the forum when I said I'd probably be a size 16 when I stopped losing weight, because apparently I'm supposed to want to be thinner? I don't know. But the opinions of others in regards to your health and appearance mean exactly nothing. :) xx

Edited to add: I'm 5' 7" :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    Goal weights are pretty arbitrary. I am 176 cm (5' 9") and want to get down to 78 kg (171 lbs) because that is what my hubby (who is the same height) weighs. When we were the same size previously we used to be able to share jeans.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be different and say talk to your doctor. Because feeling great at that weight is awesome and means a lot, but you don't want to stop if you are still at risk for health issues. But you could be perfectly healthy at that weight...

What we think doesn't matter if you and your doc think that is a great goal.

I say this because my goal was 150. I thought I looked good at that weight and was healthy. But my doctor told me to go lower because my body comp had changed since I was last at that weight. And my 150 was a lot less healthy with the higher fat content. But I'm glad I listened because all my tests are perfect now. And honestly I think I picked the higher number because I was scared. I didn't think my body could go lower and I didn't want to set a goal that I couldn't meet.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and my goal is 170. I like being a little on the heavy side, and my hubster likes it too :) I have huge boobs and wide hips and a bit of weight looks good on me. I liked how I looked at 170.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No I like that number lol .... I want to lose 175lb in total.

xXx
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    No! Get to 175lbs and maintain. If you like the way you feel, you're good.

Your body, sister. Your rules.
  • hbgirl85
    hbgirl85 Posts: 26
    Options
    That's the weight I think I can maintain successfully given my circumstances-age, history, 2 kids, lifestyle. Go for it!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    As a woman, if you've ever liked the way you looked at any weight, you're not normal. You're a marvelous exception to the dreary norm!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I can only echo what many others have already said, and that is your goal weight should simply be the weight that makes you happy :) Plus there's nothing wrong with revising that up/ down when you approach it. My goal is actually 175 at the moment also, as its simply been the lightest I've ever been, and was quite happy with it. I shall only know as I approach it though if I shall be happy at it this time, or perhaps instead at 180, or perhaps lower at 170 or so. It's hard to know what a number on the scale will look like, and we can only depend on what we're happy with ourselves :)