Vegetarian protein?

Options

Replies

• khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions here, the only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is cottage cheese - it's one of the most convenient protein sources for me. (I also adore halloumi, but that has a higher calorie cost by a long way :-p)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Seitan hands down.

^^ This. You can either buy it from wholefood stores or make your own.
  • gcarterIT
    gcarterIT Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Many people accept the fact there are different types of vegetarians, I being one of them. See this chart here:

http://www.vegetarian-nation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/vegetarian-levels-chart.jpg

mrsjordon, you should specify if you fit one of these categories, then you can receive more specific advice.
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know for me protein is essential for me to feel full enough. Like others have already said, soy based protein, edamame is yummy, I use protein shakes and they have 15 grams of protein. I am getting mine from a medically supervised weight loss program I am on right now, but I have also bought them online.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I get about 100- 120 grams of protein a day. on a 1,200 / 1,300 calorie diet.. Im a vegetarian have been since basically birth

my typical day is usually

breakfast: trader joes egg beaters / fake meat product usually quorn / fruit ( usually about 30 grams protein)

lunch : tofu / salad / veggies ( about 41 grams protein)

snack: fage yogurt ( 23 grams)

dinner: always different but usually veggies and a protein or starch ( usually about 25 grams)

snack : oatmeal ( 6 grams)
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Seitan is really easy to make - there are a lot of recipes that call for steaming which seems easier to me than the usual simmering.

Most of the recipes I use are in cookbooks but here's one that isn't - a seitan-based sausage recipe. It comes out to about 35 grams protein and ~250 calories.

http://www.theppk.com/2012/01/vegan_sausage/
  • aubrie917
    aubrie917 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Quest bars use whey protein which comes from milk so if you don't do cow's milk at all then they don't work but if you just don't drink it then but don't mind eating milk products then those are amazing--20 g protein per bar. Some of them have nuts in them though so just be careful as to which you buy. There have a lot of meat substitutes but a lot of them have tons of soy which you shouldn't have too much of but seitan is good like other people have mentioned. Tons of eggs. Cheese. Protein powders...I love sun warrior protein...it's vegan.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You may eat some vegetable which is good to provide protein, beans, yogurt, pulses, seeds, nuts, multi grains etc....
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    humous, chickpeas

same same - hummus is made of chikpeas!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians are good for protein, but I eat them more for fiber than anything else. *nods* true story
  • kurtistime
    kurtistime Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Pea Protein Isolate?
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians are good for protein, but I eat them more for fiber than anything else. *nods* true story
    Hey you never complained about those free protein shots I gave you last night.:wink:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Hey you never complained about those free protein shots I gave you last night.:wink:

Wait, you're two timing me now?
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong...the protein content is good, it's the bulk that's most satisfying though.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options

Wait, you're two timing me now?
    EL8kzoS.gif
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of vegetarian protein powders, I use the Sun warrior brand and order mine on amazon, very tasty and has several flavors and options to choose from, you can get hemp protein powder, rice protein powder too.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In thanks to Ant.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    In thanks to Ant.
    Now I sound like a real sloot.