best yoga video for beginners?

Options
so i want to try yoga and i was wondering what you guys thought was the best video for a complete beginner was. so yea, fire away.

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in peoples answer t this, since I've just started P90x and I hear the Yoga part is pretty crap.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump. anyone?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Rodney Yee's yoga for beginner's. He has 2 different workouts, plus a segment going through a lot of the basic poses with posture tips.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee's was like the only one they had at Walmart =/

Youtube has some good stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TaraStilesYoga
  • lizblizz28
    lizblizz28 Posts: 166
    Options
    ^^ What wobbspsfl said

I started on Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners and absolutely loved it.
    After that I also tried his Top Ten Zen Tummy Toners dvd and had fun with that too.
    Neither of these dvds are overly difficult. Very relaxed and good explanations.

Edit to clarify post
  • rebus2030
    rebus2030 Posts: 2
    Options
    @pyrowill P90X yoga is not crap, in my experience. For me, it is an intense 90-minute workout that has left me drenched with sweat and exhausted. They have more advanced moves, but give you the chance to modify. The downside to this workout is that it is 90 minutes, which is a long time to work out.

I recently tried P90X2 yoga, and it is 60 minutes, and felt much less intense. Still, it made my legs burn and forced me to focus to keep my balance. Both, in my opinion, are worth trying out to get into the yoga groove.
  • PersephoneH
    PersephoneH Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey I've tried videos but going to a class is much better. (I know this isn't what you where asking but just thought I'd contribute :))
    And if you are confused about all the different types of Yoga out there and aren't sure where to start most Yoga schools will let you have the first lesson free or do a 'come to as many classes as you want in the first week for £20 kinda deal-which is great!

Good Luck
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    You can also get yoga for Dummies on DVD - I have others in the series and they are quite easy to follow.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Rodney Yee's yoga for beginner's. He has 2 different workouts, plus a segment going through a lot of the basic poses with posture tips.

THIS
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    bump
  • lauramonster
    Options
    I like Sara Ivanhoe's 20 min yoga makeover dvds.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're looking for a workout, Bryan Kest's power yoga is good. I've practiced before, but am still working on the beginner version. The good thing is that he does do a little slower, so you have the opportunity to get the asanas right. The bad thing is that he throws some harder material in there, so you will need to work pretty hard.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I suggest you go to a beginners class, it's best to start knowing the best form to take in order to get maximum results, but also for safety. Many (if not most) yoga studios offer a cheaper, Sunday "community class" that usually has newer teachers, and an incredibly mixed level group in attendance. Usually these classes can be busy, but if you get early, you can get a spot at the back in order to spy on their good forms as well as the teachers, without feeling nervous.

After attending your first class, I suggest getting Tara Stiles yoga on itunes. It's free and amazing- she's motivating and has a ton of routines so you never get bored. I suggest doing Weight Loss Yoga for beginners first, I still return to this sequence after two years of practicing yoga (though I'm no expert). It's best to use a software that can slow down her routines, as she often can go a bit fast- the best program for this is Quicktime 7, although it's old, it's not a hard version to find, you can just type it into google.

All the best- yoga is fantastic, and I love how it continues to make me feel and shape my body :)
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yoga Now - Rodney Yee and Muriel Hemmingway - it has 4 workouts. Morning energizer, evening de-stressor, Core, and Advanced. It also has modified poses for beginners.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    @pyrowill P90X yoga is not crap, in my experience. For me, it is an intense 90-minute workout that has left me drenched with sweat and exhausted. They have more advanced moves, but give you the chance to modify. The downside to this workout is that it is 90 minutes, which is a long time to work out.

I recently tried P90X2 yoga, and it is 60 minutes, and felt much less intense. Still, it made my legs burn and forced me to focus to keep my balance. Both, in my opinion, are worth trying out to get into the yoga groove.

Yeah I think it is more about the time more than anything. I personally enjoyed it the one time I did it. But being a novice and with the few yoga nazi's on here I fell into the p90x is crap yoga train of thought. Will give it another go.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the yoga for dummies beginners dvd, it also includes an intermediate work out.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hey I've tried videos but going to a class is much better. (I know this isn't what you where asking but just thought I'd contribute :))
    And if you are confused about all the different types of Yoga out there and aren't sure where to start most Yoga schools will let you have the first lesson free or do a 'come to as many classes as you want in the first week for £20 kinda deal-which is great!

Good Luck
    ^^^What they said just because you'll have instructors make sure you are doing proper forms.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I agree that going to a class is ideal. For DVDs, though, Rodney Yee, Sara Ivanhoe, and the Yoga Zone series are good places to start.
  • Timmi1978
    Timmi1978 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    so i want to try yoga and i was wondering what you guys thought was the best video for a complete beginner was. so yea, fire away.

If you want a yoga DVD for completely new yoga wannabes, then let me suggest to you the ShapeShifter Yoga videos. Check out a demo lesson on Juli's blog: http://sugarfreejuli.com/yoga4all/

I really LOVE yoga and I do yoga every morning, and postures throughout the day if I feel the need for it.

Timmi