At lost

Options
Hi, I am a 23 years old female weighing 62kg and being 156cm tall. I am a childcare teacher who constantly stand during work time. I just started my weight loss plan 2 weeks ago and i realized i have only lost 0.5kg. Looking through the diary, i have maintained intake of 1200kcal as recommended by MFP with only a few days exceeding less than 200. Thus, i am wondering why i am losing weight at a slower pace.

Moreover, after i started dieting, i constantly feel hungry which should not be so as the portion that i am eating is somewhat similar to the period which i am not in diet. ( i eat rather less and DO NOT EXERCISE previously)...

Please do help and thank you :flowerforyou: :blushing:

Replies

• wnrobert
    wnrobert Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you working out now? If so, are you adding in your calories burned into MFP?

I've found that if I enter all the calories that machines/etc say I've burned, then I don't lose weight. The advice given to me on here was to only enter 50-70% of the calories that a machine or calculator says you burned during your workout into MFP. Since I've started doing that, I've lost 2 lbs when I had been at a plateau for 4 weeks.
  • yes i started working out 5 times a week.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MFP is a simple calculator and only outputs based on what you put in. If you are in child care and don't sit down during your job, then you should not set your lifestyle to sedentary. You don't seem like you have too much weight to lose, so you should not be trying to lose 2lbs per week. A good recommendation I've seen is at most 1% of your body weight per week (so you'd need to set it at 1lb per week).

Also, MFP assumes that you only do your activity level and don't exercise beyond that, which gives you the amount of food. If you workout, you need to log the exercise as cardio and eat back at least 50-60% of the calories (MFP often overestimates calorie burns).

Also, be sure you are very accurate in your intake. If you take small bites to see if something is tasting right when you're cooking, that needs to be counted. Some of the entries in the database (especially if they are labeled "generic" or "homemade") can be seriously wrong. Be sure to check labels. For fresh foods, use USDA entries. Also, invest in a food scale. I've found that there are a lot of variations in things like slices of bread and other things, so weigh out the portion and log it correctly. Also, you'll see things like one medium sized banana; that should be weighed and then logged with the USDA entry based on grams because the definition of medium varies greatly.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You're 136 pounds and 5'1, you probably set your weight loss goal too aggressively. You don't have much to lose so you should have it set for 1/2 pound a week. Since your diary is closed, it's unknown if you're eating back your exercise calories, still I would guess you're not eating enough. If you were you wouldn't be hungry.
  • wnrobert
    wnrobert Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yes i started working out 5 times a week.
    Also, are you weighing your food? (all except liquids)

There can be a bigger difference than you think between 1/4 cup of dry rice and 45 grams of dry rice. Only other advice besides weighing the food is to be careful when using nutritional information that other users have added into MFP. Sometimes they are not correct and NEVER use something that says "homemade" in the title.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1500 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for a week. If you lose 1-2 lbs, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few weeks, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

Eating too little can actually inhibit weight loss. How rigorous are you about measuring and weighing your portions? Also, how are you exercising?

Allan