Restarting: Netflixing the weight off

Options
Teksavvy
Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
I lost 15 pounds and gained back 20. I did more eating and watching TV than exercising.
Now it's time to take my sci-fi TV watching addiction and use it to glue me to the elliptical. I'm starting with Star Trek Deep Space Nine. 30 minutes on the elliptical, 100 push ups and 25 pull ups have my tablet and I dripping in sweat.

Replies

• matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend does this as well. She loves "What Not to Wear" and stuff like that. She puts it on her ipad or her phone and does a 15 degree uphill walk at a 3.5mph pace for 1/2 hour - 45 minutes. She's lost almost 70lbs this way. It's a good technique.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating and watching TV, start CLEANING UP and watching TV. Switch that around and I promise you'll be much happier.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Did you seriously name yourself after an internet service provider?

I couldn't watch TV while exercising. Unless i've already seen the how multiple times, I like to pay attention to it. :D
  • jwats8
    jwats8 Posts: 112
    Options
    Do it!!
  • Jimmie342
    Jimmie342 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan. I might have to do that myself.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Rebounding is great for TV watching too (a bungee cord model is quiet). I put in a DVD series that I'm trying to catch up on.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I did the same thing- the only tv I watch during the day is on my tablet, while on the treadmill. I started in March- worked my way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I'm now on the last season of Angel, after which I will move on to Firefly.
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I did the same thing- the only tv I watch during the day is on my tablet, while on the treadmill. I started in March- worked my way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I'm now on the last season of Angel, after which I will move on to Firefly.

Yup. Same here.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating and watching TV, start CLEANING UP and watching TV. Switch that around and I promise you'll be much happier.

Tried that. I know that I'm not burning nearly the same amount of calories. If that was the case, I'd be mopping the floor with sweat instead of water.
  • tawyanaa
    tawyanaa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Putting the elliptical in front of the TV really works! I lost 90 pounds that way :)
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thats a great way to keep you on that machine I find that I need a good show that keeps me interested or really good music I make sure to update my mp3 player about once every other 2 weeks =)
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this. I get bored on the elliptical with just listening to music.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do you know any exercise that I could do while watching TV that doesn't need huge equipment?
    Jumping rope seems to exhausting to do for a long time and walking in place seems just... boring?
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Do you know any exercise that I could do while watching TV that doesn't need huge equipment?
    Jumping rope seems to exhausting to do for a long time and walking in place seems just... boring?

Do I ever... Step aerobics!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't get motion sick when I watch TV while on elliptical/treadmill/bike. Otherwise I'd be oh so cardio fit.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    awesome. I am down for some star trek. wish I could watch it while doing my walks.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite workouts was done in a hotel gym. They had a Buffy marathon going and it was AWESOME. I didn't want to leave! :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Just Walk videos....I can play one on a laptop (mute) & just glance at it from time to time while watching TV....these are marching in place, side stepping, knee lifts....simple arms. You switch moves just enough to keep it interesting.
  • BaranVonCoop
    BaranVonCoop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have Kevin Spacey and his House of Cards to thank for the first 14 lost. A great way to pass time on both the elliptical and treadmill. Almost through season 2 and onto Homeland!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    My wife does that and has been through quite a few seasons of different shows.
    Think the Midwife was the last one.
    Lost 21lbs short of a year.