How is biking ACTUALLY?

Options
I live at a camp and so am on a decent sized piece of property. I have to move around to supervise staff. Tried walking, but took too much time and I couldnt get around enough to where i needed to be. This year I used a Gator, but I'm going to start biking next summer, I think. I'm trying to figure out an exercise plan for the off season as well and am wondering how good biking actually is for encouraging fitness and weight loss? How much biking do you have to do at a time before it actually matters? Thinking biking on grass, not level ground, but not steep hills either. Just wondering if this is an effective workout or if I should plan otherwise. Thanks!

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/bicycling

The higher the METs value, the more calories it burns. You can compare it on that site to other categories of activities.

Because you can cover a lot of ground quickly on a bike, it tends to take a lot more miles than walking or running to really be much of a workout.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is less effort than running everywhere. But looking at it purely from the perspective of calories burned per mile isn't the whole story.

Cycling will fit into your lifestyle. It's something you can do every day. And it's fun! There is a sense of freedom to it that you just won't have in a car.

I used to bike everywhere before I gave up and got fat. I had a resting heart rate of 44. I felt amazing.

Admittedly, that was rather more cycling than you'll be doing, but it shows what's possible.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My tips for starting out:

1. Use a mountain bike with gnarly tyres. It gives you a more compact workout.
    2. Get a rack and panniers, or a basket. That way, you won't get a sweaty back when you carry things along.
    3. Sunscreen. You see more sunlight than you do in a car.
  • Artglassguy
    Artglassguy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i am biking a paved lake path for my exercise. i have been doing so since mid May. since then i have logged over 1000 miles. it takes time and dedication and an accurately measured trail/distance.
    this works for me and may be insane for others YMMV

i average around 30 miles per session 4 times per week and burn around 1800-2000 calories in a little over 2 hours. you need to keep up your protein and supplement this insane amount of cardio with at least some strength training.

i am feeling my way through this and still learning , but it is working for me.

imo finding a local bike shop and having the bike fitted and maintained by them will go a long way to insure your success. you may have to shop around at first. i would suggest finding a small shop or at least a non-corporate one. large stores commonly do less individual service and you end up dealing with a different person every time.

if you are heavy i suggest a "hybrid style bike" stay away from walmart/target/ large sporting goods type stores. spend the money up front and your investment will pay off in the long run with much less down time dealing with cheap equipment. with bikes that are going to see a LOT of use , you get what you pay for.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Biking is a great way to lose weight or stay in shape. I'm a runner first but I love cycling. I bought a road bike a few years ago and have since logged some serious miles. The nice thing about the bike versus running is the ground that I cover and the freedom it allows me! I live in Michigan so biking in the winter isn't going to happen so my bike goes on a trainer so I can continue to get that same kind of cardio workout, although it is incredibly boring :smile: I would recommend what someone else already did, go to a true bike shop and invest in a good bike. I would also follow the suggestion of going with a mountain bike given the terrain you'll be using it on. Get something that fits your lifestyle and most of all have fun!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if this is an effective workout or if I should plan otherwise. Thanks!

biking is great exercise and my primary form of cardiovascular fitness. Keep in mind that your weight loss is largely about consumption though...you eat to a level that is appropriate to your activity level and goals. The more active you are, the more calories your body requires...thus even to lose weight you can eat more, etc. Really, it's diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

In RE to how effective....that really depends on your goals. You're going to get out of it what you put into it. As a matter of general fitness I ride 4-5 days per week for about an hour which gets me around 65 - 80 miles per week or so.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Nice thing about biking (for me) is that I can sustain a good burn for far longer than, say, running. My short flatland rides (on a mountain bike) are generally around 60 minutes, pushing relatively hard, and have a net burn of around 500 calories...not as good as running for the same amount of time, but I'm also not as "bushed" after a bike ride. Mountain biking on hilly singletrack terrain (say, around 800 ft total ascent for a 80 minute ride) nets around 1000 calories. An easy 15 mile round-trip ride down to the brew pub with my wife barely covers the beer calories

Long and the short, it really depends on how hard you push it...you can toodle along and barely have your heart rate budge, or you can crank hard and get close to max heart rate. Or anything in between.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    cycling is a great work out, and as you will find out, and a healthy and environmentally friendly way to get around.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Cycling is great exercise. It's my primary form of exercise along with a little running and some lifting.

I do between 6-10 hours of cycling a week, mostly on my mountain bikes. I love it!
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Its is low impact too. I love it, ever since I was a kid. One of the few exercises that I actually look forward to, which 90% of the battle when it comes to making a regular effort several times a week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what you're attempting to ask, so I'll suggest this:
    Go ride.
    When winter comes, buy a trainer, the kurt kinetic is good, and purchase the novice training plan and videos from sufferfest.

You'll be good to go.
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I started riding my mountain bike the same time
    I started using MFP. First couple rides were at a liesurely pace
    for around 10 miles. Now I'm riding 4 or 5 times a week up to 25 miles
    per trip. I've lost 20 pounds in 70 days between the riding
    and improved eating habits using MFP. Starting to be able
    to climb decent hills now without stopping. I went from a 36" waist to about
    a 33" waist. I love it. Have more energy during the day and I can't
    wait to get on the bike after work. Your butt will be sore
    for a while because it is not used to the seat. It gets better with
    time. I just got a pair of padded bike shorts yesterday
    and it makes a huge improvement with comfort.
    Go for it. Careful though it's VERY ADDICTIVE!