Binge eating disorder is ruining my life!

Options
Hi :) I'm new to MFP but I need some serious help. I have been struggling with binge eating disorder for about 3 or 4 yrs but recently it's been getting really bad. I've gained 10 pounds in 2 months and although I am not overweight, I am sure I eventually will be in the near future if my eating habits continue. I've tried countless times to try and stop binge eating (dieting, not dieting, moderation, low carb, hypnosis lol.... Etc). I've even spoken to two therapist and have a nutritionist and even though they were eager to help, they gave me the general advice that many people give but us binge eaters know is not the real solution (chew gum, go for a walk, exercise, make a meal plan). I've tried to have my parents hide the food but they refuse to do so because I have siblings and don't want to restrict everything from them. I binge pretty much every day, and I'm lucky if I get in one binge free day a week. All I can ever think about is food or trying to stop binging and it's consuming my life. I am still in high school and will be applying to colleges soon and I don't want this to take up more time and effort than getting into college. I also don't want my ED to carry into college because I know it will only get worse as I gain more independence.
I don't think my eating problem stems from emotions because I binge no matter how I feel, but I also think that BED is giving me depression. All I want to do is lay at home and eat, cry and think of ways I can stop doing this to myself. I try to eat enough during the day and have all the nutrients that my body needs, but I also can't eat too much in one meal or else it feels like ice given up my recovery efforts and I go into a binge again.
I read Kathryn Hesnen's book Brain Over Binge which gave me a good insight on my disorder, but I have failed to use the methods that she suggest to stop binging.
I need to regain control of my life. Does ANYONE have any stories on how they recovered or ways to help me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Replies

• YogaDancer108
    YogaDancer108 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been there. It is so very painful. I am sorry you are going through it. Therapy with someone who is skilled in binge eating disorder is vital, in my opinion. I went to a psychiatrist trained at the Johns Hopkins eating disorder outpatient clinic, and I'm sure you can find similarly qualified folks wherever you are. Take it seriously. "Overcoming Binge Eating," by Christopher Fairburn is the protocol they use at Hopkins, and you can find it on Amazon. You do not have to live this way. It is possible to recover from this. But you can't do it alone. Best of luck to you.
  • Ouiseee
    Ouiseee Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    I know how you feel, since I moved back home I've been having the same problem. I noticed that I was having negative cycles: one binge meant I felt bad, which meant I binged again.
    I decided to break the cycle so I went away for a few days, somewhere where there was no food, and I couldn't possibly binge. I had 3 days of allowing myself to eat to 2000 calories and to continue running without bingeing.
    After I returned home I've felt like I'm in control of myself once more, because I managed to break the cycle for a little while. I know that if I don't celebrate all the small markers, then I will fall straight back into it, so the night before I set myself a meal plan along with snacks, and it doesn't matter when I eat these meals, so long as I don't have more than I have written on my paper.
    I have struggled with this for years, and several times thought that I was past it, and never going to suffer again, but now I just allow myself the one day, and get straight back onto to eating normally again. Restriction really doesn't help so I set markers for when I can eat something again.
    I don't know if this will help you because everyone is different, but I kind of just clicked and realised that I couldn't keep harming myself the way I was.
    Good Luck to you!
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Funny thing is, I was thinking about the very book you mentioned (Brain over Binge) before I got to the part of your post where you mentioned it.

Maybe something to think about is the reason why you are doing this. You are approaching a time of big change in your life, as you explained. Perhaps anxiety over this is why you are eating like this, as a kind of self-sabotage. That's something to think about.
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ive had this problem for years Its truly like a addiction I have to feel in complete control with my food I have to log everything and keep track otherwise I loose control, Ive also had to learn not to "punish" myself by eating even more, that feeling of well I already cheated why not just keep eating has kept me on a up and down weight loss nightmare for over 17 years. I can tell you that I did get my eating habits in control for over 5 years and its just a positive outlook and keeping constant control.
  • CiarasJourney
    Options
    Hey there, I'm in the exact same position! I have tried everything too. I was 5 pounds from my GW and started binging about 6 months ago and have been getting progressively worse since, its becoming 5-6 times a week. I feel such shame and guilt after every binge and have read Brain Over Binge too and it didn't help me either.... I'm not of any help as I'm looking to find an answer too but I just wanna let you know your not the only one suffering
  • mylovelyremedy
    Options
    Depending on how badly you want professional help ... you could always go inpatient to a ED clinic that specializes in treating this. BED is an eating disorder and can be as emotionally upsetting and harmful as other eating disorders if left untreated.
    I am not sure what places offer this, or where it would be, (or any details really) but it may be something to consider.