Whole30

Options
I'm toying with the idea of doing a Whole30 in September. I've been eating mainly low carb since March, so maybe this won't be THAT different.. Has anyone tried it? Is it hard? Did you see results? Any information anyone has on it would be great!

Replies

• blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Had to Google it,, didnt even know this was a thing. But yes, ths is how I have been instructed to eat always. I have been striving to eat like this all the time. I dont always manage it and have a few small slip ups but I think it is good to eat this way. My trainer says "if you cant grow it or raise it- dont eat it" So that is how I try to eat all the time and what has helped me to restart my weight loss again and get to the 10lb mark.

Disclaimer- if you look at my diary- I do have slip ups but the majority of the time I try to eat this way-- I guess they call it clean eating? But I avoid dairy and grains also because I am doing low carb and try to get all of my carbs from veggies and fruits. I ate beans but try not to anymore because of the amount of calories they have and the amount of carbs in them. Even though they are "good for you" Just my opinion and my experience

the only dairy im "allowed" to have is low fat cottage cheese in the morning if I want, but other than that have tried to stay away from it
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Results will be dictated by how many calories you eat and the macro nutrients you consume, not what foods you restrict. If the Whole 30 will help you stay in a calorie deficit with proper macro nutrients, then by all means do it but again, there is nothing special about eating all whole foods. It's calories and macros that make a difference.
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Whole 30 is more about health than weight loss. That being said... if you have weight to lose and you follow the rules set for you in ISWF then of course you'll get good results! I love Whole30. I've found all my favorite recipes since discovering Whole30... mostly because if you Google it you guys introduced to some great paleo blogs. Nom Nom Paleo, Civilized Caveman Creations, The Domestic Man...

Anyway... Do it! My first time I know I got down to 103lbs by diet alone... then I added p90x and gained some weight. It was fabulous. I am hoping for a repeat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Only skimmed after googling. Seemed like a fad diet diet with healthy eating stressed except for the exclusion of grains.

You can absolutely lose weight that way. It's just a matter of eating fewer calories than you use up.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Whole 30 is more about health than weight loss. That being said... if you have weight to lose and you follow the rules set for you in ISWF then of course you'll get good results! I love Whole30. I've found all my favorite recipes since discovering Whole30... mostly because if you Google it you guys introduced to some great paleo blogs. Nom Nom Paleo, Civilized Caveman Creations, The Domestic Man...

Anyway... Do it! My first time I know I got down to 103lbs by diet alone... then I added p90x and gained some weight. It was fabulous. I am hoping for a repeat.
    Is that what people mean when they talk about "paleo"...as in Paleolithic? Nuts, roots, berries, flowers, fish and meat? So funny. I never had any idea what the hell they were talking about. Thanks. :)
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You can check out my results at the thread below :)

I lovedddd it i never felt more alive! It is not that different from low carb, the only thing that surprised me was all the added sugar in things you would never expect! Also taught me to be more conscious of labels! feel free to look at my diary 1 July - 30 July that is when i did my whole 30!

Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1377131-whole30-results
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Only skimmed after googling. Seemed like a fad diet diet with healthy eating stressed except for the exclusion of grains.

You can absolutely lose weight that way. It's just a matter of eating fewer calories than you use up.

Not a fad diet... if you read the book there is a lot of scientific evidence behind everything they recommend. Don't just "skim" and give in opinion. Make sure you are well educated before judgement! :smile::flowerforyou:
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the book but sadly only made it 17 days into my Whole30 last summer. I made the mistake of stepping on the scale and seeing only a pound loss and jumped ship. I think I will try it again some day! For me, personally it was pretty difficult as it was summer and everyone was home with me. I think it would be easier with everyone in school.
  • hkbwalker
    Options
    I'm mid-whole30 right now and I have never felt better in my life! I'm a medicated insomniac and I've got to say, I'm sleeping better than I have in years! And the energy is fantastic!

To be honest, I'm lucky. I didn't have carb flu or any crazy cravings. I love the food that I'm eating and knowing exactly what I'm putting into my body is very rewarding to me. It also has helped me open new doors with my diet. I'm trying veggies that I've never had before.

I can't see myself going back to my previous way of eating....I feel way too good!

I broke one big rule though. I stepped on the scale. This past week I dropped 4.6 pounds. Can't complain about that!

Email me/add me if you want any specifics.

Heather
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I have done Whole 30 three times in the past. I actually plan on starting a new one this coming weekend (I was originally going to do Saturday but just realized Monday is an US holiday, so I may do Tuesday I may not.) If you are already low carb, a transition into W30 won't be hard. Likely, the hardest thing you will experience is giving up diary. I have to say, I feel and sleep amazing while eating W30. Good luck!
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Done it twice, once was AIP. It is definitely more for health, as is all Paleo... I have regained function of my body with it. I have been extremely ill for 20 yrs. Go for it... it's doable and filled with micronutrients that you need!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Not a fad diet... if you read the book there is a lot of scientific evidence behind everything they recommend. Don't just "skim" and give in opinion. Make sure you are well educated before judgement! :smile::flowerforyou:

It is a fad diet. Case in point, your diary, when you went right back to eating processed foods on July 31 with your trip to Coldstone Creamery, followed up by a Healthy Choice frozen dinner on August 1. One could also argue that the Quest bars and Larabars you ate during your 30 days of whole foods pretty much negated the entire thing, as both of those are processed as all get out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I tried something similar for a couple of weeks because I was taking a break from sugary treats anyway (to break some habits) and was curious whether I'd feel better without dairy and especially grains. I don't eat legumes that much anyway, so figured that would be no hardship, and the version I was doing allowed potatoes. I liked it for that period of time and never felt bad or deprived at all (in the book they go on about low carb like symptoms people get, but I didn't and obviously you wouldn't if you are low carb).

I didn't find it that hard for a short period of time, but I was really motivated to get back to eating as I prefer when I'm mostly cooking, which is protein and veggie centered anyway. After my two weeks I considered doing a whole 30 (even though I don't actually buy into the paleo health claims re grains, etc), but decided that I didn't see any benefit for me in cutting out potatoes or dairy (I feel better with dairy in my diet). So instead I let grains and legumes back in (although I end up not eating huge amounts of either due to personal preference) and a bit later decided to allow back in some treats, in moderation, so long as I wasn't using them in the wrong way and was within my calories (this was partly because my calories were low, partly because it's what I personally consider most healthy for my relationship with food).

All that is a long winded way of saying that I think it seems like one way to experiment with how different foods affect you, if you want to. The reintroduction period is going to be part of that. To the extent you lose weight it's because it's an easy way for some to create a deficit, but it might force you to try out new recipes and so on, that you will like. Even though I'm not paleo and don't agree with their arguments I do eat meat and veggie based meals a lot, so sometimes get recipe ideas from some of the paleo blogs. Not sure how much of a change it would be for someone doing low carb, though.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

It is a fad diet. Case in point, your diary, when you went right back to eating processed foods on July 31 with your trip to Coldstone Creamery, followed up by a Healthy Choice frozen dinner on August 1. One could also argue that the Quest bars and Larabars you ate during your 30 days of whole foods pretty much negated the entire thing, as both of those are processed as all get out.

How is eating whole real (by real I mean non-processed) foods a fad? People have been eating "real" (see prior defination) for thousands of years. SMH
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I read about it. Nothing special as I generally avoid processed food anyway. Big fuss for no reason.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

How is eating whole real (by real I mean non-processed) foods a fad? People have been eating "real" (see prior defination) for thousands of years. SMH

Eating whole foods isn't a fad. Eating whole foods for 30 days to "lose weight" or "improve your health," then going right back to eating the same way you were before is a fad, much like any other short term diet fad people undertake.
  • metre30
    metre30 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The 30 day elimination phase is only part of the program as a whole. Agreed that following a regime for 30 days and then falling back into old habits right away is a fad diet, but the Whole 30 system is much more than that. The next phase is about reintroducing other foods and observing your reaction to them. The entire process is about learning what works for YOUR body and not the masses. For those who take it seriously and aren't just looking to lose weight, it can be life changing.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I do this already, with the exception of dairy, as I eat a little full fat probiotic yoghurt every day, and a little cheese most days. Anything that reduces inflammation is a good thing, imo, and I think most people would probably feel benefits from eliminating one of the 'no' foods for a while, at least I did when I cut wheat and dairy before I ever ate like I am at the moment (which is low carb by the way).
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have done the Whole30 2x. Very good results. What Metre30 just said is spot on. Whole30 is about awareness and life change. I have gone off that program due to life stresses and will get back on that wagon. I never felt better when on it.
  • Kalikel
    Options

It's a fad diet. I'm not saying you can't lose weight on it, but it's a fad diet.

I googled "how to spot a fad diet" and found this.
    How do I spot a fad diet?

While there is no set approach to spotting a fad diet, the following guidelines can help. Fad diets tend to have:

Recommendations that promise a quick fix
    Claims that sound too good to be true
    Simplistic conclusions drawn from a complex study
    Recommendations based on a single study
    Dramatic statements that are refuted by reputable scientific organizations
    Lists of "good" and "bad" foods
    Recommendations made to help sell a product
    Recommendations based on studies published without peer review
    Recommendations from studies that ignore differences among individuals or groups
    Eliminated one or more of the five food groups

Devoting yourself to a lifestyle that includes regular exercise and eating a variety of foods with moderate portions is still the best method to lose weight and to keep it off.

Eating unprocessed foods is fantastic. Eliminating entire food groups is not. If people want to eat healthy, I applaud them. This Whole30 thing isn't healthy, though.