question for the runners!

Options
Hey, I've been running for a few months now and trying to make sure my nutrition is in check. What should the ratio percentages be for carbs/fat/protein? I feel like mine isn't set right. Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You'll get some varying replies but something between 50/25/25 and 60/20/20 should work for you.

It may take a little fine tuning and I wouldn't lose any sleep if you have a bit of variance. A micronutirent you should also be tracking (if you're not already) is potassium, I've seen some suggestions that an average adult needs about 4,700 mg a day,
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I like 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs.
  • Jwildeboer
    Jwildeboer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I seem to be fine with the values that MFP provides when I add the cardio in, but I don't think calories burned are 100% accurate. Best way to tell is via a heart rate monitor, but since I don't have one, I use this - http://www.healthstatus.com/perl/calculator.cgi
  • starshine420
    Options
    I do track Potassium, I never realized it was important for running. Thank you for the tips!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    How much are you running? I don't think your carb ratio needs to change much until you start getting into higher mileage.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It'll vary from person to person. So long as you're getting adequate fat and protein, trial and error is your best guide. I prefer, and feel best and most satiated around 50-30-20 fat-pro-carb.
  • starshine420
    Options
    How much are you running? I don't think your carb ratio needs to change much until you start getting into higher mileage.
    Currently starting to train for a 10K, hope to do a half in February :)
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You'll get some varying replies but something between 50/25/25 and 60/20/20 should work for you.

I think this is what Runner's World suggests in their Diet/Nutrition section.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I like 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs.

Ditto.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I did 40% carb 30% fat 30% protein when losing, now that I'm closer to goal I do 50/30/20... Pretty much trying to keep my protein close to 1g per pound of lean mass (so I guess technically it's probably closer to 22% protein).

But I'm over on fat and protein most days.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Currently starting to train for a 10K, hope to do a half in February :)

You probably don't need to change your ratios unless you are currently eating very very few carbs. Maybe towards the final 1/3 or so of your half marathon training you might consider it, but even then it might not yield much benefit. And it can be easy to over-eat on a carb-heavy diet. I gained a few lbs training for a 20 mile race in May because I ate too many carbs and didn't scale back the rest enough.