turnip recipes anyone?

kbeller88
kbeller88 Posts: 139
edited September 23 in Recipes
I have 4 medium turnips and i was wanting a good recipe for them for me and/or my family. Any suggestions?

Replies

• I usually just cut into chunks, boil and the toss with a very little bit of butter. When I was growing up my Mom mashed them (like mashed potatoes). I know there are a lot of great online recipes for pickled turnip -- which is a lovely fabulous pink and tastes great too. GL. I love turnip as a replacement to potatoes because they're SO much less carbs and calories but equally filling. We eat them at least once a week in the winter.
  • MrsChasteen
    MrsChasteen Posts: 48 Member
    Okay my family makes turnips by slicing them and boiling them in water until tender. Drain but do not discard water. Melt a small amount of butter then add flour and a few tablespoons of milk. Stir together and you should have a very thick sauce. Pour some of the turnip water back into the mixture until it is a nice consistency. Salt and pepper then add the turnips back to the sauce.
  • I LOVE that you are asking for turnip recipes!! (Just the WORD "recipe" turns me on...but I digress!) When I was a child, my mother had a large vegetable garden in our backyard and she made all manner of things, and she always cooked turnips. Me, being a junk food junkie, turned my nose up at vegetables for decades...until recently. Now, thinking about those vegetable-filled childhood days really makes me smile. YOU have brought my mind back to the turnips that my mom used to make, although I never knew exactly WHAT she did to prepare them, but thanks to this post, I'm getting ideas! THANKS!!
This discussion has been closed.