Easing into running plan needed?

Options
I am easing into running with thoughts of running a 5k in 8 or 10 weeks.
First go I ran 1.45 miles in 20 minutes (14:00 pace).
Second go I ran 1.60 miles in 20 minutes (12:40 pace).
My tentative starting plan was to run 20 minutes and hope the distance increases.

How should I proceed with increasing time VS worrying about pace VS increasing difficulty of route?

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You won't be running a 5k in under 20 minutes in 8-10 weeks. Increase distance (gradually) first but NOT speed or difficulty. Increasing the distance you can run at an easy pace will help you build the fitness you need to speed up later. Trying to run faster every time you go out will get you injured, probably before you make it to 5k.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Try a structured couch to 5k plan (there are lots of apps available) Don't worry about your pace at this stage - finish the plan and then start looking at speeds etc.

Good luck!
  • hopetc
    hopetc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions!

I had no visions of running a 5k in 20 minutes ANYTIME soon ;) My goal is to be able to finish...not walking at the back of the pack while they close up the course behind you.
    My first run I just set out to run as long as I could and after 20 minutes figured I did way better than expected and better stop because I know I'm not in shape. Then it made sense to stick with the 20 minute limit for a bit.
    I'll look for a structured plan but don't love how the official couch to 5k has all the run/walk intervals. Maybe I'll look at it again though.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't mean that but just thought that was why the 20 minute thing wasn't going to prepare you to run 5k in your timeframe! If you don't like run/walk intervals, try just running (nice and slowly) for as long as you can, take a walk break in your own time to get your breath back, and then when you feel ready, run (slowly) again. Repeat till you reach your time goal for the day (20 mins for now, maybe 22 mins next week). You don't need an app to tell you when to run unless you want one.
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try a structured couch to 5k plan (there are lots of apps available) Don't worry about your pace at this stage - finish the plan and then start looking at speeds etc.

Good luck!

I second this! C25K got me from being the slowest kid in gym class to actually running for fun :)
  • hopetc
    Options
    Here are my next 3 runs, first increased time to 22 minutes, then a couple more to hit 2 miles. I did not aim to quicken my pace but not complaining ;)
    I think the 2 miles is a comfortable length for now. Thinking I'll stick with that for a little while for 2 runs a week and maybe try for 2.5 miles on a weekend run?
    I'm also planning to buy new shoes from a running store. The back of my ankle bothers me a bit and I think it's from how I run.

Run 22 min 1.75 mile 12:36/mile
    Run 23:33 min 2.0 mile 11:47/mile
    Run 23:42 min 2.0 mile 11:49/mile
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if OP can already run over a mile c25k is a step back since it's set up for people who cant do that yet (ie someone who is starting from the couch so to speak)

OP if you're able to run 2 miles now then you're definitely going to be ready to run the 5k in 8 weeks (barring injuries/vacations/etc).

i think the longer run once a week makes sense. if i were you then i'd make my plan to be able to run the full 5k in 4 weeks and then spend the next 4 weeks gradually increasing distance over the 5k with a longer run once a week and the other 2 runs being 5k in different terrains (ie some hills, some flat).
  • nest9
    nest9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would use 2 miles as you starting point and increase your distance 10% each week. You will be tempted to run as much as your body will let you, but increasing too much in a quick time can cause some problems in the long run. Speed will normally come as you increase your distances and once your endurance also gets better. Here is what I would recommend but this is just my .02.

Run 4-5 days a week:

1st week 2 miles each day = 8-10 miles/wk
    2nd week 2.2 miles each day = 8.8-11 miles/wk
    3rd week 2.42 miles each day = 9.68 - 12.1 miles/wk

And so on...... You could choose one day a week where you do a "long run" but don't push it too much early on. You are also easing your body into the "pounding" it hasnt been use too. Good luck with training and your 5K.
  • hopetc
    Options
    Run 24:28 min 2.0 mile 12:14/mile
    Run 24:33 min 2.2 mile 11:08/mile
    Run 24:58 min 2.2 mile 11:19 /mile
    Run 27 min 2.4 mile 11:12/mile
    Run 26:45 min 2.43 mile 10:59/mile

First I have kept running and am really happy with my progress. It's been almost 1 month. I was aiming to run 3x/wk with cross training most other days for 6 days of working out and have actually ran about 2.5/wk with cross training another couple for 2 days of rest/wk. Not bad for not working out hardly at all before. I've been sticking with the plan to increase distance by 10%/wk and have not worried about pace though I'm thrilled to see it go down! I bought new running shoes with custom insoles and they are fantastic. The first quarter to half mile is by far the hardest every time.