Polar FT4 Battery Died, cannot open it!

Options
2»

Replies

• wendymaci
    wendymaci Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah my warranty is void because I opened it and replaced it myself but I don't wear it swimming so don't need it to be waterproof. I changed mine about 2 years ago and I haven't had any issues with it and I sweat a lot when I wear it.
  • wowmom23
    wowmom23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    FYI I just had this same problem. I used a stick pin and kinda pried it off. Next time, I'll use duct tape and kinda stick it on and pull it off :). I hope this helps someone else in the future!
  • rrolling27
    rrolling27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this right now too! I am sooo frustrated with it. I feel like i have warped it to the point its never coming off. I may have just ruined the whole thing. If thats the case I will be so bummed. I invested in this thing.........and now I cant even get it open!
  • scotty123abc
    Options
    Ok, so I would only recommend this if you're impatient like me! LoL.

Here's what I did basically because a coin wouldn't work for me on the transmitter - it seemed to be stuck in place no matter how hard I tried...

I used a stanley knife to carefully follow the circular outline of the battery on the back of the transmitter. I went around the whole thing a couple of times (be careful not to cut too deep). Then I worked a little more around the 'Open' and 'Close' marker points in order to try and pop the battery holder out neatly. Then I just used the stanley knife to carefully pry open the circle...could have used a flat-head screw driver or something.

It popped out neatly and I put in a new battery I got from **** Smith Electronics (CR2025 Lithium battery - any one of these 2025 batteries will do the job).

Was then able to just pop the battery in the casing and put it back in and back to lock... :-)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    When I changed my f4 transmitter battery I used a nickel to turn the cover then (I think) an ice pick to pry up the cover. Worked fine and still works great n I sweat like crazy.
  • EddieEHitler
    EddieEHitler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem with mine. It looks like it may have seized over time. I contacted Amazon (where I purchased) about it and they very kindly refunded me. I'll never buy a Polar watch again.
  • moltobella
    moltobella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem with mine. It looks like it may have seized over time. I contacted Amazon (where I purchased) about it and they very kindly refunded me. I'll never buy a Polar watch again.

How long have you had the watch? I bought mine from amazon as well.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I didn't have any problem changing the battery in either the transmitter or the receiver. I used a large flat-head screwdriver, gave it a twist counterclockwise and it came right off. I did have to push a bit because of the seal, but it wasn't bad at all. Once I installed the new battery the cover went on just as easy, and it's still waterproof.
  • steffersb
    Options
    Hi

I have an FT 7, was getting incorrect HR readings at the gym. decided to change the battery but couldnt get the back off. Thanks to the tip about the stanley knife I managed after struggling for a week to get the battery out in 5mins flat.

Thanks for the tip!

:)
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    About a month ago my Polar appeared to "die"...I tried and tried to get the back off the transmitter with no luck. (It is going on 2 years old) but, I decided to try cleaning the transmitter. I wiped the ends down with rubbing alcohol, and to my surprise, when I connected it, it worked perfectly, and it's been working great ever since. Good Luck!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I have a ft7, so not sure it's the same.

I turned the back a quarter turn and then dropped it about a foot and the back came off =)
  • thedollylala
    thedollylala Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I change the battery it won't pick up the transmission, I put the old dead battery in and it'll work briefly, I know I'm putting it in right and I thought it was the right battery. I haven't used my hrm in forever so this annoys me, sorry to bring back a dead topic but ugh
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I searched for this topic because I was having trouble with mine. Stanley knife trick mentioned earlier totally worked.
  • jserana
    jserana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    After multiple attempts and a defaced coin slot, I tried using pliers to twist the coin. And guess what? It came off so easily I didn't know whether to laugh or cry :indifferent:. If only I had tried this earlier, my cover could have been spared the damage :grumble:. Also, after cleaning the gunk inside, I didn't have difficulties re-opening it with just a coin.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT4 battery died yesterday in the middle of my workout! Now as aggravating as that was, you are supposed to be able to take off and the back and replace the battery. My husband and I both have the same one just different colors. Neither of us can get the back off to change the battery. We called Polar and we are going to have to mail them in to have them repaired. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a trick to getting them opened? I really do not want to be without my heart rate monitor. :sad:

edit to say. It is the transmitter that has died not the watch itself. The thing that hooks onto my chest strap.

When I had a Polar FT4 I took it along to a Jewellers' shop in the high street and asked him to change the battery in both the watch and the receiver, which he did. They have the correct tools for removing the backs without damage. I think it cost about £8 for the pair of batteries replacement.
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me with my previous FT4, but I did manage to get it opened, however, I was not able to close it back up correctly no matter what I tried. Needless to say, I just went and bought a new one cause I was too impatient to send it back to get it fixed.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    it's just a twist and pull.

Super easy to change the battery.

A screwdriver will make it easier.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    After multiple attempts and a defaced coin slot, I tried using pliers to twist the coin. And guess what? It came off so easily I didn't know whether to laugh or cry :indifferent:. If only I had tried this earlier, my cover could have been spared the damage :grumble:. Also, after cleaning the gunk inside, I didn't have difficulties re-opening it with just a coin.

Thank you so much! I think I almost broke my hand trying to open it with a coin, and then as soon as I used pliers - done!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    edited to remove as I have already replied to this thread pmsl.
  • lhavrylkoff
    Options
    I just had the same problem. So glad I kept scrolling through the messages. Nickel and pliers worked like a charm.