Depression and fitness

Options
When I started MFP, it was initially because my clothes had gotten mighty tight, some of them to the point that I knew I couldn't wear them any more. I just flat out couldn't afford new clothes, so even though I know 5'1" and 140lb isn't dangerously overweight, it was at the very least gonna require a new wardrobe ($$$) and at the worst be at the beginning of even more substantial weight gain. So I started losing and now I'm down to 128 and I work out quite a bit and watch what I eat.

Now here's the cool part.

I have been struggling with extreme depression and anxiety since middle school (my first panic attack was at the age of 12). I finally started getting help at the age of 21, and the meds were in some cases working out alright, and in other cases causing terrible side-effects. When I had first gotten on the road to weight loss, my psychiatrist had switched me to a new medication and I had a terrible reaction and had to call an ambulance. After that event, she wanted to make completely sure that my system was completely clear of the old stuff and that I was healthy again before we started new meds, so I had to wait three weeks without anti-depressants. I was anxious about this, and to keep my mind occupied I really revved up my workout routine - more frequency, more intensity. And guess what? My depression practically disappeared. When I went back, my psych was pretty impressed with my three weeks of excellent results, and she decided to keep me off meds as long as this worked, and prescribed for me to keep up my workout routine and to inform her if I had a relapse. It's been about 8 months and so far so good (except for times when I got busy and slacked off, which I would respond to with more workout).

Now I'm not suggesting that people with depression throw their meds out the window and opt for the treadmill instead. Depression is a real problem, but in some cases it can be treated or eased with lifestyle changes. I still take anti-anxiety meds as necessary, and I'm not completely "cured" of everything, but my life's gotten WAAAAAY better. A bit of advice - if you're having major depression issues and you can manage to muster up the will to do it - RAMP UP YOUR WORKOUT AND BUSY YOURSELF WITH MFP! (But keep up whatever your dr's currently got you on).

Has anyone else had any results like this? It's awesome!

Replies

• chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    me! me! my story is almost identical to yours except my first office visit was when i was 23 and the medication worked great once we got the dosage right. But.... i've noticed the same results when i exercise more frequently - the depression gets so much more manageable!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I've never been clinically depressed, though a therapist suggested I do fit the symptoms of having bipolar II with hypomania. In short, I'm naturally in a good mood all the time and can comfortably adapt to many, if not any, situation. Weight gain, included. You try motivating a 300+ lb guy, who's comfortable with his weight, to do any form of energy exertion...he'll seriously consider it, give good reasons why it would help, then say, "Ah, screw it. I'm still sexy."

Sexy, I may not have been, but I do have pretty eyes. Haha. I started losing weight due to acute pancreatitis and diabetic coma. I decided that I didn't feel like dying yet, so I made the entire lifestyle change and beat the odds. No longer insulin or medication dependent, I've lost over 120 lbs, I'm the healthiest one in my family now, and I love cooking my own food and eating right. I've never felt better since feeling so good at being so bad.
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I've never been diagnosed with depression, although a few of my friends with it and a doctor have suggested I may be on the verge of it...

Anyway, I was pretty down before and Xmas, had been doing no exercise... well since I started my workout routine again in the New Year I have felt happier than I have for a long while!

I agree exercise certainly does help.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I was on meds for years fighting depression and I've been off them since last spring without a problem now that I am ACTIVE!!

I took a 3 week stint OFF from exercising and IMMEDIATELY noticed I was slipping back into my old habits (not food wise) but depression wise, I couldn't believe how fast it occurred.
  • megkob2413
    Options
    While I've never been on meds I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 16 and struggled for years with it. Now that I'm starting to be active on a daily basis, I'm feeling better. I'm happy to see other people in the same boat having positive results. My biggest worry is not seeing the scale budge and getting discouraged. Telling myself it'll get better has never helped in the past and I stop being active and the depression hits me like a ton of bricks. How do you all handle the scale not moving and keeping yourself from going down the slippery depression slope?
  • angelskye6
    angelskye6 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've also struggled with clinical depression for YEARS!! I will admit, seeing the number on the scale go down and feeling proud of myself after a workout has been great. I've found myself wanting to exercise more, eat better (and less!!), and stop sleeping all the damn time. I know that if we all stay on path, eventually we WILL get smaller and healthier-both emotionally and physically. Congrats to you!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Congrats on the weight loss, and on managing your depression. :)

I've had depression since I was a toddler. I'm not on medication by my own choice -- I'm not good with remembering to take it, and I would just rather fix myself without drugs if I can. It's not a judgment on people who do need meds, I just personally don't want it. Anyway, I'm horribly lazy, but when I do work out, even if it's just a simple short walk with the kids, I feel a significant mood boost. I'm sure I'd be doing awesome if I'd do a regular workout that actually broke a sweat. :) But yeah, I'm surprised that more therapists don't recommend daily exercise. It's been proven that mild to moderate daily exercise can drastically improve depression symptoms, but it's not often something that is suggested when someone seeks help for their depression.
  • anubis609
    Options
    While I've never been on meds I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 16 and struggled for years with it. Now that I'm starting to be active on a daily basis, I'm feeling better. I'm happy to see other people in the same boat having positive results. My biggest worry is not seeing the scale budge and getting discouraged. Telling myself it'll get better has never helped in the past and I stop being active and the depression hits me like a ton of bricks. How do you all handle the scale not moving and keeping yourself from going down the slippery depression slope?

You mean hitting a plateau? That's actually a normal part of weight loss. There will be times where your body's metabolism starts getting used to the kinds of activities you're doing to burn off calories and a lot of times you will need to kind of shock it, in a sense, to let it know that it still needs to put in work. If you begin recognizing signs that a plateau is coming, like weight loss is starting to slow down, there are ways to kick your metabolism back into gear.

Sometimes your body is used to the intake of food you've been consuming, and a lot of people still keep the mantra of eating less is losing more, which a lot of the times is only temporarily effective. If you're already consuming enough to have a huge calorie deficit, eating more [in a healthy way] may actually help your metabolism realize you're not starving, and therefore will change it's nature to not needing extra calories and burn them off.

Metabolism loves to be constantly stimulated, so switching up your routine by either increasing intensity or duration is one way to do it. Another way to switch up routine is if you work out on the same days every week, change up the days or the times you work out. For example if you work out in the morning, either do it [or add] another one in the afternoon or evening. You could also switch up your rest days.

Since this topic is about depression, another thing to add is that exercise isn't only beneficial to weight loss which increases self-confidence and uplifting thoughts, but exercise stimulates the production of dopamine in your brain, which is an anti-depressant. Those on medication may know that from their psychiatrist.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

As far as hitting a plateau is concerned, not dwelling on it is the best way. When you learn to ignore the scale for a while and instead focus on how you feel, you'll get a much better result from your workout (emotionally and physically). I know I haven't lost an ounce in a while, but still every single time I have a good workout I come out of it feeling like a million bucks (well, specifically I feel great after the shower.... before the shower I feel like a sweaty, exhausted wreck of a human being who's been wrung out like a rag). If you're too concerned about the numbers all the time, it's hard to notice the flood of endorphins that's rushing into your brain like feel-good candy. In any case, when I feel the depression sneaking back in, I either ramp up the intensity or the frequency of my workouts. If the scale's bothering you, I suggest you at least try to take it up a notch and promise yourself not to look at the scale for at least 2 weeks (yeah, I know that sounds like forever, but try it). In addition MAKE SURE you're eating your exercise calories, because speeding up your workout without refueling is going to give you opposite results for your mood and general feeling of overall well-being. ....plus you'll headaches that are a real marthafocker if you're burning without eating.

That's my 2¢
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your brain's chemistry changes as you age. It's not uncommon when you are on medications for such a long time you may find they no longer work as well, or a lower dose/different medication is more suited. Or, as you've happily discovered, that your brain's chemistry has changed enough that medication is no longer needed. Good for you!!
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your brain's chemistry changes as you age. It's not uncommon when you are on medications for such a long time you may find they no longer work as well, or a lower dose/different medication is more suited. Or, as you've happily discovered, that your brain's chemistry has changed enough that medication is no longer needed. Good for you!!

Oh! I didn't mean to downplay the role health, fitness, and weight loss have in improving your mental strength and resiliency!!

YOU DID AWESOME, YA HEAR??
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I can comment on this thread from two sides. A) I am a therapist in the mental health field, so I constantly am counseling my people to eat right and get exercise! My peeps have serious mental illness and addiction, so nutrition/exercise is really importance and VERY hard to get them to do. I'm always joking (half joking) with my clients that if they aren't feeling better by spring we're going to go for a run.
    b) I have Obsessive compulsive disorder. For years I was eating and drinking my way through my anxiety. Obviously it was a quick fix that once I sobered up, and looked in the mirror, was just as depressing and anxiety provoking as my disorder. I started watching my diet and exercising last january and have lost almost 30 lbs over the last year and my OCD is in MUCH better control. I still have my days (boy do I!) but it's NOTHING like I was a year or two ago. I'm still on my meds, but at a much lower dose and I am thinking of going off of them after the winter (I get seasonal depression too).

Exercise is the best, cheapest medicine there is!
  • anubis609
    Options
    I can comment on this thread from two sides. A) I am a therapist in the mental health field, so I constantly am counseling my people to eat right and get exercise! My peeps have serious mental illness and addiction, so nutrition/exercise is really importance and VERY hard to get them to do. I'm always joking (half joking) with my clients that if they aren't feeling better by spring we're going to go for a run.
    b) I have Obsessive compulsive disorder. For years I was eating and drinking my way through my anxiety. Obviously it was a quick fix that once I sobered up, and looked in the mirror, was just as depressing and anxiety provoking as my disorder. I started watching my diet and exercising last january and have lost almost 30 lbs over the last year and my OCD is in MUCH better control. I still have my days (boy do I!) but it's NOTHING like I was a year or two ago. I'm still on my meds, but at a much lower dose and I am thinking of going off of them after the winter (I get seasonal depression too).

I can vouch for addicts not exercising. I'm currently in the midst of beginning my path of becoming a psychiatrist after seeing the patient side of things, as a recovering addict (I'd use the term "former" but as we both know, addiction and relapses can creep up on anyone at anytime), and dealing with therapists, counselors, and psychologists; each and every form of a path to recovery for both physical and mental regeneration involved exercise as a leading benefit to stabilization.

Part of the dual-diagnosis live-in rehab program I was in, included a gym membership which we were taken to 3x a week. I've had many relapses when I got out, caught a couple of possession cases, and each time never changed my habits. Learning in dual-diagnosis that certain psychological conditions/disorders lead addicts to self-medicate because of a chemical imbalance. Since exercise promotes the production of many of those chemicals and hormones that may be deficient, it will usually lead to a more well-adjusted psyche.

And once I started exercising as of last year, I haven't had a trigger at all.

Indeed, exercise is really the best medicine.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Awesome! I'm really glad to hear that, because I've never had any of my doctors or therapists push for me to exercise. I discovered how well it works completely on my own.

I've got a friend who's been completely down in the dumps and has gained 30lb, and she's very aware now that the two are NOT unrelated. She and I had our first workout together this morning and we've scheduled another for next Saturday!