Ambien and weight

Options
I just started taking Ambien for sleep. I've taken Tylenol/ibuprofen PM for over 5 years and it made me groggy the next day, Question is...will Ambien affect my weight? I've been doing so well with the dieting but I've read so many sleepwalking/binge eating stories about Ambien. Scared! Any experiences anyone can share?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    My room mate sleep eats on it, but I think it's just because she's a ketard and so desperately craving carbs
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm so scared I'll do that! I eat no carbs at night and don't want to gain weight! So many cases of sleepwalking/eating terrorize me
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    not sure about weight - but my mom had to be taken off it because she would sleep drive and wake up like miles away from home..
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Why don't you eat carbs at night? I eat all of my food at night and I eat like 50% of my calories from carbs and I'm 113lbs at 5'8". It won't make you fat.
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My dad was on Ambien for a while, and would sleep walk and talk to people that wasn't there. He never sleep drove, though.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was on a med like ambien the worse thing that happen was I got woken up in rem sleep and had hallucinations that the house was one fire. Ran out of the house with my cat and half naked screaming I was on fire :/ needless to say I discontinued that medication after that. I did gain weight but can't for 100% say it was from the medicate ion alone.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many horror stories about ambien I dont know how it's still on the market, lol. I dont like tylenol pm cuz it made me too groggy in the morning but I LOVE melatonin. It's a natural supplement and no residual grogginess.

As for Ambien, I had 2 different friends (who didn't even know each other) that both had the same crazy experience. Both of them swear they saw little green men while on the sleep aid. Neither of them even believe in aliens but hallucinated that they saw them. Any drug that makes you hallucinate just to sleep better doesn't sound like a good idea. And the numerous cases of night terrors, sleep walking/driving are frightening. Sleep eating isnt good but it is the least of your problems if you take it.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    not sure about weight - but my mom had to be taken off it because she would sleep drive and wake up like miles away from home..

wow, that is seriously scarey!
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I took Ambien for a year. I did not hallucinate, sleep walk/eat/drive or anything crazy at all. I slept. Yes, at the time I had first started my lifestyle change. I didn't eat a lot of carbs and I never ate after 7 pm and I never found myself at the fridge and I lost 30 pounds. The only issue I did have with it is that I did still feel groggy when I woke up? I am not sure if it was from the medication or if it is because I am just NOT a morning person and probably will never be.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Not sure if she gained weight from it, but my mom was on Ambien for awhile and at first she would just do silly stuff like try to turn a nonexistent light off or yell at the dog who wasn't in the room at all. Then she started sleep eating. I came home one night and she was cooking a steak in a toaster oven, had a conversation with me, and the next morning asked me if she had cooked the steak. She didn't remember cooking or eating it at all. Then one night she went to pick up my brother from work (had just taken the med prior) and ended up falling asleep at the wheel and crashing into 3 other cars.

I'd never take it, personally, but I understand the desperate feeling of wanting to go to sleep. Try it and make sure you have someone watching you. It might work for you, it might not.

For the record, Mom is off it and doing a whole lot better.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have chronic sleep disorders including delayed circadian Rhythm disorder (or whichever name they are calling it now) and RLS. I have been on Ambien for quite some time. I rarely sleep eat. But I do occasionally wander in a twilight sort of daze, likely due to the RLS in my case.

Personally, when on it, I find it easier to lose and/or maintain weight because I am actually getting some sleep instead of just skipping days until I crash out.

BUT, it is best to make sure you take it at least the first few times when there are others available to monitor you. I had screaming freak-out night terrors on Lunesta, so you just never know.
  • Aitm20
    Options
    I took Ambien for a year. I did not hallucinate, sleep walk/eat/drive or anything crazy at all. I slept. Yes, at the time I had first started my lifestyle change. I didn't eat a lot of carbs and I never ate after 7 pm and I never found myself at the fridge and I lost 30 pounds. The only issue I did have with it is that I did still feel groggy when I woke up? I am not sure if it was from the medication or if it is because I am just NOT a morning person and probably will never be.
    Neither am I. I have similar habits and so far (5 days) no sleepwalking or eating. Whew
  • Aitm20
    Options
    I've heard so many horror stories about ambien I dont know how it's still on the market, lol. I dont like tylenol pm cuz it made me too groggy in the morning but I LOVE melatonin. It's a natural supplement and no residual grogginess.

As for Ambien, I had 2 different friends (who didn't even know each other) that both had the same crazy experience. Both of them swear they saw little green men while on the sleep aid. Neither of them even believe in aliens but hallucinated that they saw them. Any drug that makes you hallucinate just to sleep better doesn't sound like a good idea. And the numerous cases of night terrors, sleep walking/driving are frightening. Sleep eating isnt good but it is the least of your problems if you take it.
    I've tried melatonin and sadly it does nothing. I was taking Tylenol PM for years and the Ambien works much faster and less grogginess the next day. So far no horror stories for me...keeping my fingers crossed :)
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My room mate sleep eats on it, but I think it's just because she's a ketard and so desperately craving carbs

It has nothing to do with desperately craving carbs - it's literally another version of sleep walking, in which somebody sleep eats.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I took Ambien for a while and had zero issues with it. Six to seven hours of good sleep and no hungover, groggy feeling in the morning. I loved it!