Best and worst advice

Options
What's the best piece of advice anyone has given you and what's the worst?

What's the best and worst advice you would like to pass onto others?

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Worst: Do what I do, it worked for me!

Best advice I can give: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Best advice: Check your ego at the door. Lifting with your ego only gets you injured.

Worst advice: If you exercise enough it doesn't matter what you eat. (Said by a Kenesiology student friend of mine who does a generic version of crossfit.)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you want this targeted to diet/fitness or just life in general. So I'll kind of cover 'em all...

The worst:

~ take a lot of laxatives to keep your weight down/lose weight (from my mom, when I was a teen)
    ~ become a serious runner immediately, it's the only way to lose weight and improve fitness (from random coworker when I was at around 290 lb)
    ~ you should just go ahead and have a baby, because you'll probably like it and can get financial assistance for college (from friends and a PROFESSOR when I was 20, in a dysfunctional LTR, and a junior in college)

The best:

~ try tracking all of your calories on a website like this to lose weight (not direct advice, but the example of an online friend about 2 years ago)
    ~ hike this 4 mile trail, it's very fun (from a friend)
    ~ love's not supposed to be that hard...you can always find someone else (from my dad when I was 20, in a dysfunctional LTR, and a junior in college)
  • moijo6
    moijo6 Posts: 121
    Options
    I am not sure if you want this targeted to diet/fitness or just life in general. So I'll kind of cover 'em all...

Life in general, fitness or diet.. is all good :wink:
  • LoobyGongzhu
    LoobyGongzhu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Best diet advice - don't drink your calories - eat less and do more - don't stress about the numbers focus on how you feel

Worst - I don't know I never pay attention to bad advice

Lx
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Best advice: Find something you enjoy doing to get you moving.
    Worst: Eat 1200 calories.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Man, I've heard tons of stuff:
    Worst--
    Take laxatives and water pills to lose weight.
    You won't lost weight until you juice or take advocare to clean out your colon.
    You can eat as much as you want and lose weight as long as you eat clean.

Best--
    Hmm. Actually... sadly in person, I haven't actually heard much good advice.. I can't think of anything. But I've read tons and gotten advice from there.
    Do exercise that fits into your life, you don't have to do anything crazy.
    Eat less than you burn... period.
    Get a food scale.
  • thunderwoods
    thunderwoods Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Best Advice: NEVER GIVE UP, no matter how many times you fall - get up and do it again.

Worst Advice: Bee Pollen pills, never been so nauseous in my life!
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Worst Advice: Sign up for Isogenix. Eat two shakes a day and a sensible meal at night. Then, twice a week, do a "cleanse" where you eat no food.
    (resulted in quick 8 pound loss followed by a 15 pound gain.

Best advice: Think about food as fuel for your body. Eat smaller meals more often.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Best advice: "The difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is that successful people do the things they don't want to do." Why is one person well-built and another fat, given similar genetics? Because one of them learned what to do and worked hard at it. Why does one person make a lot more money than another (assuming both are from similar economic backgrounds)? Because one spent 100-hours per week for 3 years going to grad school while working full-time, and the other stayed in a crappy -- but comfortable -- dead-end job.

Inertia is the enemy of success.

Worst advice: Anything having to do with how things are "meant to be," as in, "it'll happen if it's meant to be." NOTHING is meant to be. If you want something, work for it.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Best (life) advice: "Don't expect a custom fit in an off-the-rack world." Succinct but brilliant advice from my mom!

Worst (life) advice: "Are you sure you want to go to graduate school/take a job/work while pregnant/go back to work with a baby??" also by my mom :)
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

The worst:

~ you should just go ahead and have a baby, because you'll probably like it and can get financial assistance for college (from friends and a PROFESSOR when I was 20, in a dysfunctional LTR, and a junior in college)

I got this one too. :noway: When DH and I first moved in together we had a lot of combined debt, we had just put up all our assets to get a consolidation loan to pay it all off. A friend asked when we were having kids (never!) and if we wait until the right time you'll never have them, so we should have them now because it'll be different when the baby is ours (um, doubt it) and you'll just make it work financially. Then she went on to complain about how she didn't have the money to buy her kids (3) shoes. :huh:

The Best:
    -What other people think of you is none of your business.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Worst advice: DON'T eat your exercise calories. It especially bothers me when accompanied by the claim, "That defeats the whole PURPOSE of exercise" or when in response to helping an OP with a "Why am I not losing on XXXX calories (usually an already overly ample deficit--i.e. TOO aggressive).

Best advice: Barring medical and moral/religious/ethical reasons, there should be NOTHING on your "bad/forbidden food" list. I've yet to hear of a single, long term successful person that categorizes foods as "good" and "bad". This can change if someone proves me wrong. Until then, I stand by this piece of advice from my fellow "Gelato/Bacon/Pizza" lovers.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Best: "Don't think of it as a "diet" in the way that most people think of a "diet" - think of the other definition: the kind of food that a person, animal or community habitually eats. It is for life, not for a few months - otherwise it's a yo-yo."

Worst: probably when I was talked into trying HCG. Good lord that was a bad idea.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Worst advice ... to do low / no carb. :noway:

Best advice ... rest days. :laugh:
  • DaboGirlNB
    DaboGirlNB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Best advice: eat less, move more
    Worst advice: anything with "detox" or "cleanse"
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Best Advice:

1) Don't worry about tomorrow - there is enough to overcome today.

2) Just like the first one, Don't worry about achieving your giant long term goals. Focus on doing what you have to do today.

3) Love yourself.

4) Be the change you wish to see in the world.

5) Define success FOR YOU. (Explaination: two bricklayers building a church - one is full of joy because his sees he is building a lasting, worthwile legacy for generations to come, another is bitter he isn't successful and has a monotonous job. Second example: a bunch of people with titles and money, with lots of stress and debt and no time, but they are "successful").

6) We all have different perspectives. Don't base your happiness on other peoe understanding or agreeing with your perspective.

7) The best thing in life for a (hu)man is to enjoy his food, enjoy his work and obey God.

8) Don't forget the benefits of God (ie. count your blessings).

These gems came from Jesus Christ, a counsellor, a pastor, Gandhi, a book "the University of Success," a book, "How to Be Happy No Matter What," King Solomon, and his father, King David.

Worst advice:

1) Just break up. Too many hangry folks on MFP.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Low carb irritability - no thanks, but some people like it.
  • moijo6
    moijo6 Posts: 121
    Options

Low carb irritability - no thanks, but some people like it.

and some dont have a choice