Very Off-Topic... Mini Pigs as Pets??

Options
This is probably one of the most off-topic posts, but I thought maybe someone may have some input. My boyfriend and I have always loved pigs. We know 3 people (all living in different states) who own a pet miniature pig and we want one so bad. Yes, we have done TONS of research and we are aware that the $30 ones on craigslist aren't true mini pigs (they're just tiny piglets that will grow to be 200+lbs). We know they have to come from a breeder and we know the care required for them.

There is also a lot of controversy over if there is even such a thing as a true mini pig or if they're just smaller regular sized pigs. Especially because they're so rare.

We're not getting our hopes too high, though... our city ordinance does not allow pigs as pets due to them being "farm animals" but we spoke with the director of housing on it and he invited us to come present our case to the housing committee Sept.3rd and see if we can have mini pigs added to the ordinance or at least require permits to own one. Foxes are allowed as pets here with a permit... so why not lil pigs? haha

Does anyone here own a pet pig? Could you give me your positive/negative feedback? I know they are very destructive if not watched at all times and kept entertained. I've been told it's like having a 2 yr old as a pet. But any good positives you can give on why they make good pets and should be allowed in town will help us in our presentation.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I think they're cute but I don't think I could ever own one. But if you do decide to get one, you should name it Bacon.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Best pet ever! I have a two and a half year old micro mini Juliani pig that I got as an 8 week old. She is adorable, snuggly, sweet, smart, clean, and I love her to pieces. She's about 12 pounds now. If you have any questions, let me know.

526245_10151165718519879_1530497096_n_zpsae7ba892.jpg

483476_10151319907594879_207397663_n_zps77050f80.jpg

62167_10151519286519879_560562238_n_zps6deff938.jpg
  • brandygwen
    Options
    OMG I need a micro pig in my life.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Which came first, this thread or the one about bacon?

FWIW, I don't eat pork...I do think little piggies are cute.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Do you think mini pig bacon tastes the same as regular pig bacon?
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    summertime_gi, I'm adding you as a friend because I DO have questions!! She is SOOOO cute! <3
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 in the past. They were all house-trained and never knew them to be destructive. They are easier to train than dogs. I had one that was certified to be a therapy pig and used to do nursing home visits with me. She entertained the residents. One issue I ran into was finding a vet. The closest vet to me with knowledge of pigs was an hour drive. Fortunately pigs don't get sick often so just needed to go once a year for vaccinations. Need to keep their hoofs trimmed and if a male they can grow tusks that need to be kept trimmed.
  • EquestrianLark135
    Options
    Awesome. :) Thanks for your input, GDLAZ! Luckily we do have a farm animal vet pretty close to here so that helps.
  • EquestrianLark135
    Options
    UPDATE: We have an online petition up. Please sign if you support mini pigs as pets. :)
    https://www.change.org/p/city-of-belleville-il-allow-miniature-pigs-as-pets-in-belleville-il