Hip Pain

Options
Most of my adult life, I get horrible pains in my hips (it feels like it's right in the joints) from walking (any more than five miles in a day typically) or running a lot during the day, and it's worse during the cold months. I'm only 27 years old, and this pain has been happening since I was in my very early twenties. With a lack of health insurance, I've never been able to consult a doctor on this issue before.

My boyfriend really wants to train for a 5K, so I've been pushing myself, and while the pain is not unbearable, I really don't like it.

Are there any suggestions on what could help with the pain? Supplements that maybe I'm missing? Certain foods that hurt/help? Ways to treat and recover from the pain more quickly? Or is this something that a lot of people deal with that I was unaware of and is normal?

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Sounds like arthritis. It zapped both my hips. But run far on my titanium ones.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It MIGHT be your hip flexors, especially if it only presents after exercise. Google stretching exercises for hip flexors and get a foam roller to work out the kinks. It helps somewhat, but I had to stop running because mine were bad, and now I just stick with walking at a fast pace, as it doesn't seem to bother it much at all. Good luck.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Stretching...and have a hormone workup done. A lot of mine was a decrease in certain hormones. Compounding pharmacies are awesome with helping in this area.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If the pain is worse when you wake up or after you have been sitting a while- then it could be arthritis. Yes, young people can get it. Its a degenerative disease that can have periods of flare ups, it doesnt have to be constant all the time pain. Walking and movement generally makes it better or less.

If the pain doesnt get better with movement it could actually be your sciatic nerve. It runs down along your spine and through your butt cheek and when it pinches it really does feel like its the hip. Walking or movement does not release the pain, sitting and resting does. I get this kind of pain as well and it never gets better the longer I walk so I find a spot to sit for a few minutes and sometimes that works.

I also think I have arthritis starting and my ND told me to start taking fish oil to help with joint health. You can find it at any health store or pharmacy and you dont need a prescription.

EDITED to say: If finances are tight, it might be worthwhile to try a chiropactor. Maybe you have hips that are out of alignment and a simple adjustment could help you? They are still pricy but perhaps less so in your area.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Where do you think your hips are? Because a lot of people are a little confused about where the joints are located anatomically.

Here's some terms to web-search to see if they describe your problem:

Iliotibial band syndrome

Femoral Acetabular Impingement Syndrome (aka FAI)

Hip bursitis

Sacroiliac pain
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Definitely try stretching (especially the psoas) and foam rolling. Also try strengthening exercises for the hip muscles ( you can look this up on line). Chondroitin supplements help some people. Hopefully, these things will help, but if not, please try to find a way to see a doctor! Your symptoms sound like it could very well be arthritis. There is prescription medication that works quite well until the arthritis gets really severe. Unfortunately, young people can get this disease. I had to have both of my hips resurfaced because I was born with abnormal hip sockets. I had no idea until the hips started hurting and there is no history of this in my family. In my case, I was in my 50's (60s when I had the surgery) but my hip surgeon performs this surgery on people of all ages. Quite a few are in their 20s and 30s.

I don't think it's a good idea for you to try to run until you find out what's causing the pain. Best of luck to you!
  • bcmom_1980
    Options
    Could you see a physiotherapist? My dad, aunt and grandfather (all on paternal side) have had early (like in their 50s) hip replacements due to arthritis. I never really noticed much hip pain when I was young but my joints would always pop audibly. After having kids, I started getting hip pain, and often after exercise (especially anything plyo!) the pain would be so intense I needed ibuprofen to sleep comfortably. My doctor was able to order x-rays, which showed nothing abnormal, and an MRI, which I haven't done because it requires an injection into the joint, and there is a long waiting list in Canada. That and recommend anti-inflammatories for pain relief.

So I went to a physiotherapist, who had me perform a series of movements testing my mobility and strength in the joints and supporting muscles. He was able to tell me with one visit that the majority of my problem was due to my poor stance. Standing with pelvis tilted too far forward, and knees rotated inwards. I was given a list of exercises to do to increase strength in my glutes and abs (support for the hip joint), and to actively practice better posture by tucking my tailbone and rotating my femurs. I stopped having pain in my hip within about two weeks.