Just binged on 4000 calories

Options
I've been on a diet for the past 8 months, and have been counting calories obsessively. I basically didn't allow myself to have any sweets for most of the 8 months. I ate tones of veggies, whole grains and lean meats. 've managed to lose about 10 pounds, and am now at a healthy weight for my height ( 5'9, 125 pounds) however, about a month ago I developed a binge eating disorder, and now it's blowing way out of control. Sometimes I have 4000 calorie binges. Today I had: Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 6 walnuts.
Lunch: lean cut beef, a salad, 1 slice of smoked salmon and a peach and a slice of cheese.
Dinner: a big bowl of lentils with rice, then i binged and had almost 200 grams of dark chocolate, maple syrup and a banana, 1 small cookie, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter, handfuls of raisins, toast with lots of butter and a bowl of cornflakes and a big glass of milk. I know, i'm disgusting and i'm probably going to gain all the weight back i worked so hard to lose. Will this binge do severe harm to my body? I almost never have sugar, but i ate so much today? and any tips on how to avoid this? I was thinking of stopping counting calories, as it has made me a hyper obsessive person...thanks!

I've also had trouble working out lately, i can't afford a gym membership, so i've been working out by running in the park. However, it''s 35-38 degrees so i've been missing working out lately...

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with binge eating and ED in general, but I'm wondering why you stopped eating sweets? To me, it reads that not having sweets brought on an eventual binge.

I hope you get this under control and feel better about yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i ate over 9000 on saturday, no worries!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    First, check out a therapist to help you.

Second, how many calories have you been eating to lose? Severely restricting calories and foods (food types) will lead to bingeing because you are depriving yourself. It's very possible to eat what you want and still lose...for example, I have ice cream at least once a week and fast food several times a month.

Your BMI is actually on the cusp of underweight, so I'd say you need to seek some professional help.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I suggest you seek some professional help as by your post and the way you are reacting you have issues that need addressing. 125 pounds is only just a healthy weight it is verging on underweight even at 10 pounds heavier when you started your 'diet' your BMI was on the low side. The fact you are binging makes me think you have been restricting too much I suggest a visit to your doctor or medical professional to discuss these issues. I wish you luck
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    *hugs* If you are worried about having a bingeing disorder and being hyper-obsessive, I would gently suggest a talk with your doctor about helping you find a good therapist.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    HOORAY!

You had a party! Was it fun? Did you like all the flavors and textures and aromas of your food?

Don't beat yourself up--revel in your occasional hedonism. *Habit* is what determines your weight. Those rare times you cut loose, you should enjoy it thoroughly. You are entitled to enjoy it for your discipline the rest of the time.

You might get a couple of day's stall in weight loss, or a few tenths of a pound weight increase for a few days. But this is not some kind of catastrophe.

Enjoy the memory of the decadence until the next time it's time to cut loose--and next time be wise enough not to guilt yourself over it one teeny bit!

add: and I somehow blew past how the 'counting calories made you obsessive' thought. I also vote for talking to a therapist about possible eating disorders or ocd. Counting calories won't give you an eating disorder or make you obsessive, but can uncover hidden problems that you didn't realize you had. Seeing a therapist now when you haven't been at it long enough to impact your physical health will really pay off in the long run. With therapy you'll be able to diet without all the emotional baggage--or at least with considerably less of it.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    PS - I'm also highly jealous of your weather...30-40 degrees in wonderful running weather.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    1 high calorie meal is not going to make you gain it all back. It's simple math.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    maybe dont deny yourself everything you like, it can lead to binges. you dont have to avoid sweets you just have to make them fit. i love them and i have a dessert every day. if i didnt i would probably just binge eventually.

some days i am just ravenously hungry though. i was last night and i kinda stopped fighting it and called it a day. its the exception, not the norm.... just every few weeks i have a day where i want to eat what i want...

as long as it is the exception.

make sure you are eating enough on a day to day basis, it may help curb them. and that you actually need to worry about losing weight.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You were at a healthy weight for your height when you were 10 lbs heavier. Please speak to a doctor or a counselor, and take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • elizaroberta
    Options
    38 degrees celsius actually! thanks guys, I think I will seek help!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If I may just sum up for the OP my perception of this thread:

1) nobody is concerned about you going way over target on a single day

2) everyone is concerned about the *stress* you feel from having gone over target on a single day.

That's why we're all suggesting you talk to a mental-health expert. You are suffering emotionally when you don't have to.
  • mroo2014
    mroo2014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you think you are depriving yourself in someway and that's leading towards the binging so it might be worth trying to incorporate a treat into your day if you feel you need something to look forward to. for example, on some days I'll have a fruit and greek yogurt as a dessert and that feels like a treat for me and prevents any excessive snacking!

I would also try and reasses your relationship with food - don't beat yourself up so much for binging as that will just lead to more binging. We are human and these things happen. Try and figure out what triggers your binges and make a conscious effort to listen to what's going on in your head and try and talk it down otherwise this will keep happening.

I cannot afford a gym membership either so when I first started eating clean and exercising I was splitting my workouts out to half and hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening - this massively helped me stay on track eating wise throughout the day as I didn't want my workouts to go to waste over a chocolate bar that was going to satisfy me for all of 5 minutes. Check out youtube for workout videos as well - there are LOADS.

Don't let counting calories rule life - it's just not fun. Try change your perspective to one of a lifestyle change rather than a diet or short term measure and soon it will all be pretty effortless!

Small daily improvements are the key to staggering long-term results.

Please feel free to add me if you would like to discuss this more - I used to have a major problem with binging!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If I may just sum up for the OP my perception of this thread:

1) nobody is concerned about you going way over target on a single day

2) everyone is concerned about the *stress* you feel from having gone over target on a single day.

That's why we're all suggesting you talk to a mental-health expert. You are suffering emotionally when you don't have to.
    And (3) underweight BMI. Taken together it implies ED. Are you in college? They should have counselors and clinics. Let them know your situation. Good luck.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It looks like you were pretty severely restricting what you ate before you binged. Do you think the deprivation could be causing the urge to binge? That happens with a lot of people dieting too harshly. Be gentle with yourself. If you've cut out a food group, like doing low carb or low fat or whatever, then reconsider it. If your calorie limit is significantly low, or your deficit is too high, reconsider them. If you have a craving for something specific, consider eating it rather than trying to eat around the craving with a whole bunch of other stuff.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading here:
    and am now at a healthy weight for my height ( 5'9, 125 pounds)
    Your body is trying to tell you something.

Please heed the advice you're being given.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    OP is not at un underweight BMI. Her BMI is 18.5 which is classified as "normal".

BMI Categories:
    Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Now, it might be helpful for her to talk with someone, but get the BMI facts straight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP is not at un underweight BMI. Her BMI is 18.5 which is classified as "normal".
    She just dieted to get to the absolute LOWEST acceptable BMI for "normal".
    18.5 "normal" 18.4 underweight. She was "normal" 10 pounds heavier.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    She just dieted to get to the absolute LOWEST acceptable BMI for "normal".
    18.5 "normal" 18.4 underweight. She was "normal" 10 pounds heavier.

So what? Any of us qualified to be the "BMI police"? If she feels healthy at that weight, it is normal, so stop harping on it. The normal range is like a 30+ pound range. Why would it be any more normal for her to be 135 vs 125 vs 155: all in the "normal" BMI range.