Just have fun

Options
yopeeps025
yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
I am single and do not really feel looking to settle down. Not yet. I notice a lot more guys do this than girls. Who can prove me wrong?
Anyone wants to join that boat?

Replies

• oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons for that. Namely, that we're socialized to see our purpose and worth in our relation to others - in what we can give to our families, what kind of daughters and friends and wives we can be - where men are usually more socialized to see their purpose and worth in their accomplishments. That doesn't make it right, and that's definitely not a catch-all or true for everyone, but that is typically the trend.

Women being more "biologically wired" towards monogamy is bull, though. That's a myth that's been disproven quite a few times. I honestly think it's a socialization thing, especially as out here (here being Utah) you see most men in their early twenties DYING to settle down. They all get married around 20-24, because that's where dominant Utahn society says a man's worth is determined.

So. Eh.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons for that. Namely, that we're socialized to see our purpose and worth in our relation to others - in what we can give to our families, what kind of daughters and friends and wives we can be - where men are usually more socialized to see their purpose and worth in their accomplishments. That doesn't make it right, and that's definitely not a catch-all or true for everyone, but that is typically the trend.

Women being more "biologically wired" towards monogamy is bull, though. That's a myth that's been disproven quite a few times. I honestly think it's a socialization thing, especially as out here (here being Utah) you see most men in their early twenties DYING to settle down. They all get married around 20-24, because that's where dominant Utahn society says a man's worth is determined.

So. Eh.

Interesting
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a funny thread. That title is totally misleading!

Sigh.

While I haven't been on the dating scene since I was 20, I did notice that men were definitely the more serious party. I swear I could see them planning our imaginary wedding within the first date or two.

Though, it could have been the men I dated.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a funny thread. That title is totally misleading!

Sigh.

While I haven't been on the dating scene since I was 20, I did notice that men were definitely the more serious party. I swear I could see them planning our imaginary wedding within the first date or two.

Really?
  • Joannah700
    Options

Sigh.

Really?

Yes really.

They had to be smart, good conversationalists and have enough confidence to ask me out in the first place.

Plus, think I was funny.

That limited the scope of who I would go out with.

And either that criteria limited it to serious-minded guys.... or I'm just so adorable guys would drop how many kids they wanted into the conversation within the first date or two.

I don't claim to know the male mind here, this is just my long-ago experience.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Sigh.

Really?

Yes really.

They had to be smart, good conversationalists and have enough confidence to ask me out in the first place.

Plus, think I was funny.

That limited the scope of who I would go out with.

And either that criteria limited it to serious-minded guys.... or I'm just so adorable guys would drop how many kids they wanted into the conversation within the first date or two.

I don't claim to know the male mind here, this is just my long-ago experience.

That does not seem smart to me.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    That does not seem smart to me.

No. It was not smart of them. They didn't get any more dates from me.

It would be under 'what not to do' in the single person's handbook.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Until last week, I haven't been single in 18 years. I'm much more interested in finding out who I am outside of a relationship than diving head first into a new one.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Until last week, I haven't been single in 18 years. I'm much more interested in finding out who I am outside of a relationship than diving head first into a new one.

QFT.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Have OP never heard of "Girls just wanna have fun"?
  • Joannah700
    Options
    girls-just-want-to-have-fun-o.gif
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lhtlx020lO1qhjikro1_500.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Is that Grease 2?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am single and do not really feel looking to settle down. Not yet. I notice a lot more guys do this than girls. Who can prove me wrong?
    Anyone wants to join that boat?
    I don't understand the question. But that may be because my nautical experience is limited.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is the term "settle down" that sounds like life is over . . . I am looking for a partner to share my life with, well not really actively looking but that is what I would prefer to be sought as.

Over the years I have met a few men that were looking to settle down but most were not!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Is that Grease 2?

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun with Sara Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt.
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the rush to settle down and get married. I'm only 21, and family's already pressuring me to settle down and start popping out kids...no thanks. Maybe it's just my area, but many people already have a kid or a divorce by my age. Yeah, I'd rather have fun and enjoy being able to do what I want whenever for a good long while.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    Girls Just Wanna Have Fun with Sara Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt.

Thank you
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I've never understood the rush to settle down and get married. I'm only 21, and family's already pressuring me to settle down and start popping out kids...no thanks. Maybe it's just my area, but many people already have a kid or a divorce by my age. Yeah, I'd rather have fun and enjoy being able to do what I want whenever for a good long while.

I can see that being what is going on in West Virginia. I used to live in Hagerstown for a little while and Waynesboro. Many trips down there. I did find some want to have fun types girls there.