D-Bags at the gym

Options

Replies

• rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Does the guy with the fanny sack around his big belly in a skin tight phil collins concert t-shirt strutting around like he's david beckham count as d-baggy enough?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I thought the 'gas masks' were to simulate high altitude. For people that train in low altitudes but have to perform in high altitudes, there is a benefit. I could be wrong, but that's the idea. I don't think if it as douche-ie. I always think they're training for something. The ones in my gym are always too badass to laugh at. They look like they might cut you.

It is for altitude training.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I thought the 'gas masks' were to simulate high altitude. For people that train in low altitudes but have to perform in high altitudes, there is a benefit. I could be wrong, but that's the idea. I don't think if it as douche-ie. I always think they're training for something. The ones in my gym are always too badass to laugh at. They look like they might cut you.
    it works differently then actual high altitude training though, with altitude training you have to deal with low air pressure and lower oxygen levels, the mask just provides resistance to your breathing, like inhaling through a straw. it works your diaphragm but nothing else
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    In my gym it's the ones that talk on their phone the entire time while at the gym and monopolize a machine. . I have asked them if I could use the machine but I either get a look of disgust for interrupting their conversation or a motion that they are almost done then proceed to talk another 20 minutes while sitting at the machine before completing their one more set.

Most of them don't speak English and I am not sure if they understand it either. One in particular doesn't even use a blutooth and holds the phone next to his ear the entire time....smh. no wonder he looks so scrawny. ...I could probably take him. Lol
  • cranshinibon
    cranshinibon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wish I could record the d-bags at my gym. I don't have a problem with people wearing tank tops or tattoos but I do have a problem with the aforementioned nipple revealing string bikini esq tank tops. I had originally judged people that wore tank tops with tattoos not because of how they acted but by whether or not I was intimidated / jealous of how they looked. Now that I am starting to realize that most of those guys are there for the same reason as me, I could care less....except when they hog benches and prevent me from doing my workout.

I actually thought one guy was a huge dbag just because he wore a tank top and looked at himself in the mirror (like checking himself out) I actually wound up talking to him one day and realized he was actually a pretty cool guy. You shouldn't let appearance bother you unless they're actually BEING a d-bag and it affects your workout, otherwise ignore em.

I've got one guy that I've seen walk in front of others in between their sets and use the machine without asking....they were wearing a tank top, but the tank top didn't make them a douche.....the cutting in front thing did.

There's also these other guys that wear their backwards baseball hats with the stickers still on and also wear tank tops.I think wearing their hats that way showcases their overly cocky attitude walking around the gym but the thing that makes them dbags is the fact that they hog the dumbbells / horde them around , talk on their cellphones loudly, and pay no attention to where they are going / what they are doing and have seen them bump into other people without so much as an apology

I enjoy wearing my light sweatshirt when I workout, and sometimes I'll put my hood up because I don't like when sweat pours down the back of my neck (not to mention I don't like drenching the benches with my soaked shirt). Some people would say I look like a douche, but I could care less, because I just do my own thing and enjoy my workout without bothering anyone else.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

to be fair also- it's an altitude training mask- not a gas mask.

Although the breathing effects are similar- the psychological ones are different.

yes- I've run miles in an actual pro-mask (gas mask) it sucks balls.
    You're ENTIRE face is in the mask.

it's a whole other thing.

I also don't see a point in using it unless you're ACTUALLY training for an event-which most people aren't. But who am I to judge. Stay out of my way - I'll stay out of yours and I don't care what you're doing wearing or playing on your phone.
  • cranshinibon
    Options

This closely resembles something a douche bag would say, if one could actually talk. :wink: :laugh:

lol confusion level 10
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness gets a lot of internet hate, but their no-lunk rules ban that sort of thing so I don't see much of it. What I do see are people coughing all over the water fountain and dudes getting on the elliptical right next to me even though there are tons of other ones open and then doing it again when I move to a treadmill. Back off man!
  • cranshinibon
    Options

This closely resembles something a douche bag would say, if one could actually talk. :wink: :laugh:

lol confusion level 10

Muscle confusion, undoubtedly.

is that like curling in the squat rack with a medicine ball?
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i friggin' LOVE my home gym....the only one who gets rude is my dog, when he knows I'm done and I start my stretching routine He'll sneak over and hog my mat, trying to lay with me. :bigsmile:
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Tattoos....Check
    Tank top....Check, when its hot
    Beanie....Check, when its cold
    Headphones.....Check
    On my phone....Check, use it to log sets and as a rest timer
    Beard...Nope

I workout in my garage though, so I guess this prevents me from being classified as a d-bag. Nuts.
  • bigpapa36
    bigpapa36 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own version of a D-Bag. There just happens to be a bunch of them running around at my gym in SoCal. I have tats as well and pull out my iPhone for a song change from time to time so I guess I could be classified as a mini douche. I've been laughing at some of the comments...not sure what the "wearing a hat indoors" remark was supposed to be lol. Bottom line is we are all here for a reason and that's to achieve a goal...d-bags or not...keep up the hard work !!!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I don't normally workout at a gym, but a couple of weeks ago I decided to do a trial PT offer at a local high end gym and actually saw the guy the OP describes, only the beard was expertly coiffed. Decided working out from home is best.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    One time when my friend happened to use a machine after him, and sprayed it down to clean it off, the lunk took the spray bottle & sprayed chemicals in my friend's face!!
    THAT got reported to the manager AND I called the police, who pointed out to the jerk that he'd committed a crime & could go to jail. Unfortunately, despite seeing the video evidence they decided not to arrest him. :P
    He's toned it down a _little_ bit since then.
    Yeah that would be a fight.
    I'm actually surprised my friend didn't react very violently & physically. He has more of a temper than I do, less control due to several head injuries (mostly from his time in the Army), is stronger, and used to be Army Airborne, so could probably do more damage than I would (unless I'm armed, which I'm usually not while I'm working out).

If he'd done it to me, at the very least I would have been screaming so everyone in the gym would hear, pour my water bottle in my eyes, hog the drinking fountain to wash my eyes until the ambulance got there, and most definitely pressed charges for the assault.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I definitely made a comment to some dude at the gym yesterday that was not wiping off the machines. Yuck!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    SRS! We should open a gym where people like that are shamed with alarms. A real nice place where no one is judged except for people who dress a certain way, or who lift/exercise with an intensity or style that we don't understand or like. We could paint everything purple, and serve pizza and candy. We'll teach them to be who they want to be.