How many calories are you guys eating?

Options
What are guys who are similar to my stats eating?

248lbs
5'11"

Replies

• theninamartine
    theninamartine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That TOTALLY depends on how much weight you want to loose/gain :)
  • robster160
    robster160 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am only a little lighter and shorter than you. I aim for 1800/day.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    when i started logging, i was 5'10, 246 lbs or so...i was eating around 1900 calories - taking roughly a 1200 caloric deficit (calories burned through exercise included)

now at 232 lbs, im intaking 1890 calories.

i re-adjust my caloric deficit every 5 lbs lost, or so...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am a little heavier and a little shorter (5'8", 254) and my target is 1720 a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    5'10" and pushing 40 and currently 180 Lbs...I've been maintaining for 16 months or so and I eat around 2800ish calories per day on average.

When I was losing I generally ate anywhere from 2100 - 2300 calories depending. I started out at 220 Lbs.

I have a desk job, but I'm pretty active...I generally ride between 60 - 80 miles per week or so and I hit the weight room a couple days per week as well. When I'm not at the office, I'm also up on my feet quite a bit...I have a 2 y.o. and a 4 y.o. so I'm always chasing them around, cooking something, cleaning something, fixing something, doing yard work, etc....always something going on.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    23, 5'7, 175lbs, eating 2100 for fat loss and 2500-2600 for maintenance/refeed days/weeks. Currently on a maintenance week since I've been at a deficit for almost 3 months straight. In september I will be doing refeeds once a week or every other week, whatever feels needed.

As far as activity goes, I work out ~5 hours a week (possibly more, if I feel like doing a bit of LISS once or twice a week on my rest days) and then otherwise I'm quite sedentary. A bit of walking, more standing, a lot of sitting.
  • Ratrap
    Ratrap Posts: 153
    Options
    5'10" and pushing 40 and currently 180 Lbs...I've been maintaining for 16 months or so and I eat around 2800ish calories per day on average.

When I was losing I generally ate anywhere from 2100 - 2300 calories depending. I started out at 220 Lbs.

Man trying to figure out how much I need to be eating is maddening.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

This.

I'm a female. 5'5, 150 lbs and eating 1600-1800 cals/day.
  • Ratrap
    Options

How did you figure out how much to eat?
  • Ratrap
    Options

This.

I'm a female. 5'5, 150 lbs and eating 1600-1800 cals/day.

Ok so 6 times a week including weights, HIIT workout, and running. How do I get a real idea. its so confusing
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Im 5'11. 251lb im currently eating 2305 calories based on TDEE i am currently excercising 6 days a week for 45 mins a time
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    5'10" 173 lbs @ 12% BF and I am maintaining around 2800/day. 2200/day to lose and 3400/day during bulk. Exercise 6 days a week.
  • tuffykia
    Options
    I try to get about 1200 calories a day but sometimes have trouble getting that many All of my calories are from healthy natural foods. I make a smoothie of organic plain greek yogurt , fruit, spinach, carrots and protein powder, lunch and supper are both meat and veggies . I am only 5'1 1/2 inches tall and weigh 180. I have been told to get half my weight in protein grams. So I am trying, but if you try it, you may find it as difficult as I do. Just keep plugging away. ya'all
  • ana3067
    Options

Man trying to figure out how much I need to be eating is maddening.

It's really all about finding estimates of your energy burn, subtracting 10-20% (the higher the greater the fat loss rate - but 20% is still ~1lb a week only) and monitoring your weight and measurements for a month or so. If you lose, great! If not, then lower by 100 calories, monitor for a few weeks, repeat this until you are losing.

I like exrx.net and health-calc.com for TDEE calculators since you are inputting minutes spent on intensity levels of activity instead of just saying "i work out 4x a week" because.. one person's 4x a week is not MY 4x a week!

ETA the websites are for averages. So you work out 6x a week doing, say, 30 minutes of moderate exercise each of those days, then that is on average 26 minutes a day (divide by 60 to get decimals for exrx.net). Or input an active day and then do a separate rest day calculation, average them out and it should give you a number that is either exactly what the first method gives or almost identical.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Use this calculator to help you. Lots of folks on MFP, including me, use this instead of the MFP method.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

If you are a 35 year old woman working out 3 days a week (at your current weight and height) your TDEE is 2619. Subtract 20% from that to figure out how many calories you need to lose 1 lb. per week. For this example, that would be 2095. Then you would just adjust for every ten pounds lost.

I would just encourage you to lose slowly so that it becomes a true lifestyle change, not just another diet where you lose fast and then regain. Good luck!
  • ana3067
    Options
    Use this calculator to help you. Lots of folks on MFP, including me, use this instead of the MFP method.

If you are a 35 year old woman working out 3 days a week (at your current weight and height) your TDEE is 2619. Subtract 20% from that to figure out how many calories you need to lose 1 lb. per week. For this example, that would be 2095. Then you would just adjust for every ten pounds lost.

I would just encourage you to lose slowly so that it becomes a true lifestyle change, not just another diet where you lose fast and then regain. Good luck!

Just adding to this, IIFYM calculator is notorious for estimating low. so use the 10 or 15% deficit only that is on there if you want to use that calculator, and if your losses are too slow after a month, decrease another 100 and monitor.
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    LOL Just realized you are a male! Your calories would be 2277 to lose 1 lb. per week. Use the calculator to figure it out for yourself, though!
  • wonderwoman234
    Options

Just adding to this, IIFYM calculator is notorious for estimating low. so use the 10 or 15% deficit only that is on there if you want to use that calculator, and if your losses are too slow after a month, decrease another 100 and monitor.

I would disagree. I feel like it estimates high.
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

this is what is use also- only I fast 2 days a week and try TRY to hit TDEE 5 days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

How did you figure out how much to eat?

Just put your stats in here, select an activity level that best resembles your day to day (WITHOUT EXERCISE) and pick a reasonable rate of loss...1 Lb per week is very manageable. MFP will calculate your goal for you...keep in mind that your exercise is NOT accounted for which is why you log it after the fact with MFP and get those calories to "eat back".

The difficulty with the MFP method is that it can be tricky estimating burn so allowances have to be made for estimation error. To boot, there is a lot of inherent error when it comes to intake as well.

Ultimately, you just need to get a number to start with...get things going and then make adjustments as per your real world results. None of these calculators are gospel...they're just meant to be tools to help you get started....there's going to be some trial and error involved.