Children & Math

Options

Replies

• aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My younger son was having issues with memorizing his multiplication tables so we made going on here a routine: http://xtramath.org/ (30 minutes after homework). It actually has its own timer and he didn't like having to restart it after it said he was done but he was failing his tests so he had to buckle down. When he started getting better, we cut down to one session before homework and one session after homework. He ended up with 4's on all his math subjects by the end of the year.

It also does division but he didn't need to be drilled on division after learning his multiplication tables.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Since he is such an active child, in my humble opinion, a game might not be the answer.... can you devise a way to combine the math and with sports stats or part of physical games that he plays. Perhaps keep track of how many goals are scored on his team and have him use Player A and Player B, etc etc to multiply their scores. I have a math challenged child and he is very into cooking / helping in the kitchen. We learn our multiplication and division that way. Example: (As I'm cutting bell pepper) If I take these three strips of bell pepper and cut them into 4 pieces each, how many pieces will I have.... wait for his answer.... show him how it's done by cutting. Some children find a tangible experience helpful.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Put them up for adoption and make new ones, win win!

OMG OMG OMG!!!

*bouncing up and down*

kim-kardashian-excited.gif
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Since he is such an active child, in my humble opinion, a game might not be the answer.... can you devise a way to combine the math and with sports stats or part of physical games that he plays. Perhaps keep track of how many goals are scored on his team and have him use Player A and Player B, etc etc to multiply their scores. I have a math challenged child and he is very into cooking / helping in the kitchen. We learn our multiplication and division that way. Example: (As I'm cutting bell pepper) If I take these three strips of bell pepper and cut them into 4 pieces each, how many pieces will I have.... wait for his answer.... show him how it's done by cutting. Some children find a tangible experience helpful.

I like it.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!!! And I'm glad I read the topic wrong and it wasn't "Children & Meth".

I'm glad I wasn't the only one :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you'd make it work for multiplication and division, but we used candies for adding/subtracting. (I know, you shouldn't use food for a reward...) but we worked faster and harder so we'd be able to eat the candies at the end of the math lesson...

You would make groups with the candy. It's basically the same principle that the schools use to teach multiplication. "Four groups of three M&M's make how many M&M's all together?"
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Or maybe make a hybrid game of it. Kind of like horse. Do a math problem, shoot a basket, move on when both are completed?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you'd make it work for multiplication and division, but we used candies for adding/subtracting. (I know, you shouldn't use food for a reward...) but we worked faster and harder so we'd be able to eat the candies at the end of the math lesson...

You would make groups with the candy. It's basically the same principle that the schools use to teach multiplication. "Four groups of three M&M's make how many M&M's all together?"

In fifth grade, we actually did this in class. We learned fractions and probability that way too. "There are 32 m&ms total. There are 8 red ones. There are 4 blue ones. What is the probability that one randomly selected from the bag will be red? What's the proportion of blue m&ms to red m&ms?" Stuff like that.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I used "Math-It" by Elmer Brooks to teach and drill my homeschooled daughters (who had very different learning styles) in addition, subtraction, and multiplication. The book teaches the "tricks" to help the child figure out the answers, and the game provides practice and improves speed. It's not computer-based, and not cheap, but google it, and several come up on Ebay for about half price.
  • Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In our school we use "Mathletics", it is a British website but is used worldwide. The kids love it because they can either challenge themselves or they can play against other children around the world. It is completely safe, they just see a flag indicating which country the other children are from and I believe the name of the school. They cannot speak directly to each other. The boys in particular love the competition element.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Multiplication station (online game)
    http://www.freemathhelp.com/multiplication-station.html
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    When I grew up we didn't have a PC/Laptop, Wii or Kindle Fire. However, my parents did have a game that helped me learn. I was a little game called, "Do your effing homework till every problem is right and hand that ish into the teacher tomorrow or we'll beat your buns purple". I tried to register this game with Parker Brothers a few years back but they declined saying the title wouldn't fit on the box cover and no one would understand the acronym, "DYFHTEPIRAHTSITTTOWBYBP".

spanking.jpg
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Number munchers! Yes!

No suggestions. We love math here.
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have already suggested associating sports with math. Consider also showing him how math is involved in cooking (measurement). Boys love practical, hands-on applications.
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    How old is he? If he's close to my sons age I will look because I'm sure we will need them soon enough! My son started learning last year, in second grade, and had the hardest time because the teacher blew thru the lessons (first day brought home homework with all 1-12x problems then the next week it was on to division). Needless to say his motivation to do the lessons wasn't there, and I don't blame him!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    When I grew up we didn't have a PC/Laptop, Wii or Kindle Fire. However, my parents did have a game that helped me learn. I was a little game called, "Do your effing homework till every problem is right and hand that ish into the teacher tomorrow or we'll beat your buns purple". I tried to register this game with Parker Brothers a few years back but they declined saying the title wouldn't fit on the box cover and no one would understand the acronym, "DYFHTEPIRAHTSITTTOWBYBP".

spanking.jpg

Our parenting styles differ drastically.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    How old is he? If he's close to my sons age I will look because I'm sure we will need them soon enough! My son started learning last year, in second grade, and had the hardest time because the teacher blew thru the lessons (first day brought home homework with all 1-12x problems then the next week it was on to division). Needless to say his motivation to do the lessons wasn't there, and I don't blame him!

He just turned 8 and started 3rd grade last week.