Takeout Mexican?

Options
I know it isn't exactly "healthy" but what is your go-to order that isn't too terrible calorie wise? Also, how would you go about determining the calories? My hubby suggested he pick it for supper and I have been working on lesson plans all day and do not want to cook... Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Not a HOT meal, but Subway is easy on the calorie budget. Also pre-cooked baked chicken from the grocery deli is always easy.
  • PepsiGal
    PepsiGal Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican food and try to choose chicken or steak crispy tacos with salsa. Easy on the cheese and sour cream or go without. I try to avoid the chips and I eat just a quarter of refried beans and rice. Chicken fajitas are OK in moderation. Hope this helps!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    salad, chicken fajitas, hot sauce, sautéed veg's, some corn chips and water water water
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants have a website that lists nutrition info. There are also books like Calorie King that you can carry around with you to figure them out. Calorie King also has a website you can use on your phone. If you want fast food Mexican, the fresco menu from Taco Bell would probably be ok. I also like Subway and they definitely have nutrition books right there in the restaurant. Use the mustards, not the mayonaisse and load up on veggies. If you want take-out from a sit down place like Applebees, they have a great menu that has a large selection of dishes under 550 calories. The dijon chicken is fabulous! Chipotle is good if you get the burrito bowls and read their nutrition info to get the most bang for your calorie allowance. Good luck and Bon Appetit! :drinker:
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    i always get veggie fajitas with corn tortillas
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    when we go out to eat I look up the calorie counts online of the places that we want to go to and find the best choices. I dont look at the menu once we get there because I dont want to be tempted to change my mind. dottiesweightlosszone.com has alot of restraunt nutritional info listed also calorie king. ENJOY
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    If you have a dos coyote near you they have a lite menu you have to ask them for the brochure, I usually get one of the light salads the yucutan salad is delicious and I think it is 525 cals but I never finish all of it
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    Get chicken fajitas but dont use a tortilla. NO chips..they are terrible!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Mexican food, I found a free burrito coupon a few moments ago and I'm a little excited, ha ha. I've never had a burrito before but I printed 2 coupons for the hubby and I and already logged it to MFP (created a new food).

Calories were on the website so I was very happy considering how rare that can be. 500 cals, 17g fat, 60g carbs, 6.5g fiber and 31 g protein so its not the end of the world.

Check it out if anyone is from the Toronto area http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/159061-free-burrito-canadian-s-toronto-only
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the replies. We live in a *tiny* town with only a handful of restraunts, the Mexican place is a small family-owned place so no online calorie counts. I ended up with a beef taco in a soft shell with some rice, who knows how many calories but I ate it super slow and enjoyed every bite!