advice for smart/healthy athlete nutrition

Options
Hello! I am 19 (soon to be 20!) female, 5'4.5 currently weigh 135 started at 160. I am going to school to earn an Associates in Equine Studies and get my Exercise Rider's certificate. So, I will be a major athlete in the Equine world doing the potentially dangerous work of exercising Thoroughbred race horses. I need to be as strong as I possibly can all the while keeping a lower body fat percentage. (around 18%) Goal of 125 pounds for now. If I can be lower fantastic of not that's okay. When I say strong I also mean healthy bones as well as body fat and weight and everything else. I learned in class today about nutrition and the role it plays into the development of a sound athlete and it all starts with the bones. The muscles and things you can see with the naked eye all look sound, but the bones need to also be at optimal performance before running the horses, and sadly that doesn't always happen. (my goal is to find a realistic and smart trainer with the horse's health to be in best interest). I am interested in any insight or links or anything anyone has to offer. I need to be the best I can be to prevent injury to myself so I can be a strong, quiet rider for any horse I ride so I don't let them down. Right now all I am doing as far as exercise is biking. I live in an apartment so I have my bike on a magnetic trainer. I usually keep it in the highest gear. Right now the main focus is to improve my respiratory system and overall endurance in cardiovascular ability. I am mostly focused on slimming down right now and will focus more on strengthening other things when I am closer to weight. I guess I am looking for any answers as far as specific nutrients that are needed and apprx. how much and what kind of blending of those nutrients for each meal kind of thing. I hope all of this makes sense...Thank you for any help you may be able to give!

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty confused as to what you're asking. But to build strong bones, along with a healthy diet (calcium, etc), you need to be doing load bearing exercises which stress the bones and make them repair to become stronger--same principle as building muscle. Running, jump rope, and plyometrics would all be helpful.

You should also start doing resistance training focusing on compound lifts and favoring heavier weights in order to build muscle and become stronger. A sound circuit training program can help you become stronger while also increasing your cardio respiratory fitness.

I'm 5'4, 126, prob around 18% bf.
  • zombie130
    Options
    I didn't even know what I was trying to ask haha. But thanks for the advice!
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    I wouldn't keep your bike in the highest gears because you will stress your knees too much if you do a lot of cycling. Low resistance with higher speed is equally important as pushing hard at a lower speed.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    . .edited . . .
    I am mostly focused on slimming down right now and will focus more on strengthening other things when I am closer to weight. I guess I am looking for any answers as far as specific nutrients that are needed and apprx. how much and what kind of blending of those nutrients for each meal kind of thing. I hope all of this makes sense...Thank you for any help you may be able to give!
    Regarding nutrients:
    Look at the daily picture. It is not necessary to calculate each meal. Hit your macros each day.
    The micro-nutrients will happen as long as you are eating a somewhat varied diet.
  • zombie130
    Options
    I wouldn't keep your bike in the highest gears because you will stress your knees too much if you do a lot of cycling. Low resistance with higher speed is equally important as pushing hard at a lower speed.

thank you i will remember that