Reverting Back To Old Habits!

Options
I started my weight loss journey back in February. By June I went from 230lbs to 170lbs. I upped my calories to maintenance (approx 2600) and kept losing so I upped them about 250 more and still continued to lose so I just stopped counting. I have maintained my weight for three months now between 165 and 170 pounds on any given day but I find myself really craving high calorie foods and a lot of it. When I first started maintaining I struggled to finish a 6 inch turkey sandwich from subway but now I find myself eating a full 12 inch plus chips plus I finish off what my two kids don't eat. I used to get sick to my stomach from fast food and now I crave it daily and really struggle with avoiding it. I have not gained any weight yet but I know if I keep this up I will end up back where I was within a year or two.

I dieted so hard and so long the thought of chicken breast and veggies does nothing for me and the cost of eating healthy really had a significant impact on how I had to budget my expenses. Any advice?

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Go back to tracking your food. Find a way to get those high calorie foods in within your daily range (which sounds like you can go high). Or just track your food without any changes. If you go back to your old habits you'll find yourself at 230 again. Go back to basics... and remember how good this feels The stomach stretches, don't let it get used to more food.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Is it craving or is it hunger? When I eat pizza then it makes me actually more hungry later.

You can also eat some pizza or fast food anytime, if you control the intake.

There are cheaper foods, like no-sugar peanut butter, cottage cheese and eggs. Pizza, that is expensive because it is unsatisfying in the long term.

It's up to you to decide if weight matters. If the old habits are how you got big, then why repeat them?

I used to eat until stuffed - now I can feel that is far too much. It helps me to slow down, and eat more fiber like celery and chia.

Sometimes if I want to just taste something (maybe a craving for salt) then I'll take a swig of mustard or hot sauce, or a pinch of smoked rock salt. Or some no-sugar pickles. Practically no calories.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have not gained any weight yet
    Just keep an eye on your weight. If I vary outside of my normal weight fluctuation (4-5 lbs.) I'll begin tracking again. I don't like tracking, but I recognize it's value as a tool for controlling weight.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Many of us have lost the same number of pounds several times. I've lost the same 30-50 lbs 3 times over the last 20 years. My biggest mistake was thinking that losing the weight was the end of the journey. It's not, it's just a new phase. in fact it's the longest phase because our goal should be to maintain for the rest of our lives.
    I have been in maintenance for 7 months. The biggest difference for me this time is that I continue to track and log my calories. It not a matter of endlessly eating chicken and carrots. With a few exceptions I eat all the same stuff I ate when I had gained weight. Except now I keep within my calorie goals. I've also tried to keep a better balance of carbs, proteins and fats.
    Good luck in this new phase.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Many of us have lost the same number of pounds several times. I've lost the same 30-50 lbs 3 times over the last 20 years. My biggest mistake was thinking that losing the weight was the end of the journey. It's not, it's just a new phase. in fact it's the longest phase because our goal should be to maintain for the rest of our lives.
    I have been in maintenance for 7 months. The biggest difference for me this time is that I continue to track and log my calories. It not a matter of endlessly eating chicken and carrots. With a few exceptions I eat all the same stuff I ate when I had gained weight. Except now I keep within my calorie goals. I've also tried to keep a better balance of carbs, proteins and fats.

Same here - I have what I want but keep to maintenance. You have to find ways to create more ways to balance cals in V cals out that allows you to have yoru favourite foods.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why most people regain.

You can do this. Start tracking again. It helps maintain your awareness and keep those good habits you worked so hard to get. Good luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting but didn't change back to my old habits. I think of it as if I trained my body to eat less food. It also helps to not eat what I call the bad stuff like the bag of chips I'll bet you got with that extra 6" of sub. You can get the mustard but skip the oil, cheese and mayo.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

^^Yup, this
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options

^^Yup, this

Same here, except maintained for over two years.... logging is my friend!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me as though you might have lost the weight too quickly--unless I am missing something here. You started at 230 pounds in February and 4 months later you were 60 pounds down. So that comes to about 15 pounds a month. Very quick and maybe not enough time to gradually learn better eating habits (although you seem to realize you are eating too much) and perhaps not enough time for you to mentally adjust to the physical changes. 2600 seems like quite a few cals to me to work with-- I eat over a thousand less than that every day. I've not looked at your diary. Do you feel as though you were restricting a lot before and now you feel can relax a bit? The fast weight loss sounds as though you may have been overly restrictive.
  • kadenadie5
    kadenadie5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    KEEP TRACKING ! Don't get in a rut of eating only chicken and veggies . Eat what you Like alone go back to tracking as the others say. You can make these choices. If you need more help find it . Someone can help you. Don;t go backward after you've done so well for so long. I've just started but doing well with my self . You can!:wink:
  • jjulliee
    jjulliee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Is it craving or is it hunger? When I eat pizza then it makes me actually more hungry later.

You can also eat some pizza or fast food anytime, if you control the intake.

There are cheaper foods, like no-sugar peanut butter, cottage cheese and eggs. Pizza, that is expensive because it is unsatisfying in the long term.

It's up to you to decide if weight matters. If the old habits are how you got big, then why repeat them?

I used to eat until stuffed - now I can feel that is far too much. It helps me to slow down, and eat more fiber like celery and chia.

Sometimes if I want to just taste something (maybe a craving for salt) then I'll take a swig of mustard or hot sauce, or a pinch of smoked rock salt. Or some no-sugar pickles. Practically no calories.

Thanks! I've been keeping to my new, healthy habits for 2+ years, so it has been very easy to avoid my old habits, like eating bad things, and eating too much. For the past few month, I was worried that I might lose more weight, and I think I relaxed a little, with more snacks, still healthy, during the day. Now, I feel like I'm craving more, so your advice is a good reminder of some of the things I did early on, to curb cravings.
  • jjulliee
    jjulliee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Some things that work for me are: if you've already hit your calories for the day and feel like you might slip, have a coffee with cinnamon or vanilla extract and a little splash of cream. Drink a glass of water (some people do with lemon). When I get the urge to just eat, I also like having raw veggies like carrots, brussels sprouts, and broccoli around. They're satisfying and low on sugar and calories.

Good post!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Keep logging in your calories everyday, and weigh yourself at least once a week. Don't let those pounds that were so hard to lose sneak up on you ever again!
  • Stayslim4eva
    Stayslim4eva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too am seeing old habits creep back in. I lost 170lbs and kept it off for 3 years but in the last few eeks have gained 10. the bad habits have been there for about 3 months so I 'got away with it' at first, but now it's caught up with me. I've just started a group fpr people who have lost a lot of weight but want need some support to stay on track , or who have seen a regain and want support to get rid of it. The group is called Massive Losers Keeping It Off ! if any one would like to join me.
    I will share what i have learned and could really do with some support.
    It's good that you are aware that you've lost your mojo and know where you are going wrong and wish you luck with getting back on track
    - G x
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat chicken and veggies to maintain, nor do you to lose. Eat what you want, just track your calories, stay at maintenance.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    "Chicken and Veggies" seems to a common theme in this thread.

Maybe consider ground turkey (8 oz) and veggies. I add salsa to this meal or you could add taco seasoning. Also consider Salmon and Veggies, Talapia and Viggies. Add more carbs in if you weight train (white rice and sweet potatoe)...you soon discover you can eat more.

Think in meals of (protein, carb, veggie, fat) in portions. Maybe 4 oz sweet potatoe or 1/3 or 1/2 cup of rice to meals. Eating frequently prevents hunger and if you weight train you'll get better results.

Eating is fun, tracking is fun, make it fun. :-)

Robert
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    *warning tough love*
    It just seems like lack of self control on your part. If eating non stop got you where you were before, why go back?
    The only answer is control what you eat, and set realistic diet expectations. Stop fulling yourself into thinking you need junk food, you don't. Otherwise there's nothing anyone on this forum can tell you, it's all upto you. If you worked so hard to get here, don't let it go waste and become the 90% who gain it all back.