Meeting "B.O.B."- Had LapBand placed over bypass

Options
Ok, so I had Gastric Bypass in Sept 2012, and went from 335 pre surgical consult, to 324 at surgical consult, and after pre-op diet I was at 313. Over the course of the next 15 months, I had gotten down to 236, then plateaued for what seemed like forever, then started a new job and dropped from 236 to 223 in like a month! I was thrilled to be losing again, but when the temp job ended, so did the weight loss, and in spite of working out for an hour daily, and eating right, I started gaining for the first time since my surgery. I went to the surgeon who I hadn't followed up with since my 6 month visit (for stupid reasons), and he did an endoscope, determining my pouch was slightly stretched, but the opening into my intestines was too big and I was losing food right out the opening so I remained hungry and felt the need to snack.

I decided to have Band Over Bypass on June 23rd, and during pre op testing they determined I was back up to 236, again. I did the pre-op diet, and although the diet was mostly liquid for a week and they didn't bother to weigh me at surgery. At my post-op visit, which was 10 days after, I had lost 11 lbs., and was still on liquids. I transitioned back to solid foods with ease, and have really only had a few episodes where things haven't wanted to stay down. I now have 5cc of fluid in my band around my bypass, but I don't think I've lost any weight at all. In fact, I was 1/2 a lb. heavier when I got my first fill on August 4th.

Here is my question. My surgeon says no snacking, no grazing, 64 oz. water, and exercise are the keys to the lifestyle and wright loss, but I follow all of his rules and have still seen no significant change. I am already frustrated, and wondering if I should've had my bypass revised differently and had him rebuild my pouch in the first place. This was an option, but I was going for a less invasive fix. I know it's only been 2 months since the procedure, but I don't feel like I'm really accomplishing anything. Did I make a poor choice? My surgeon said he has had patients who lost a big amount in the first couple of months, but I don't think I've lost anything since my first follow up at 10 days out. I'm afraid to get on the scale because I really want to follow the surgeon's scale to be accurate. Anyone have any input???

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think it's almost impossible for anyone to give any real advice without specific knowledge of the procedures and effects. My knowledge of these things is pretty basic. I assume that you spoke to a dietitian about the post op diet? If not I would ask to see one.

In reality weightloss just comes down to calories if your not losing weight your not eating at a calorie defecit. Do you accurately count the calories your consuming? I would though if I was you either speak to the surgeon or a dietitian. Good luck
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I agree you should seek advice from your doctor and dietitian.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    You surgery really doesn't change how weight is lost in the body. Calories determine weight loss. If over the course of weeks and months, your weight is not going down, you are consuming too many calories. Weight loss surgery simply limits the amount of food you can put in your stomach at any given time. This does not in and of itself ensure weight loss. The vast majority of people will be unable to consume enough calories to maintain weight and therefore see large losses of weight. The issue is, if you can eat enough high calorie foods often enough, this limitation can be overcome and weight can be maintained or gained. This is why regardless of whether you have weight loss surgery or not, you still need to accurately track your intake. I see your food diary is not public, do you log ALL your food on MFP? If so, you should open your diary so we can take a look.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    A friend of a friend at work had a similar issue after surgery. In that case the culprit was his love of potato chips. This individual would eat a bag a day slowly snacking...just letting them dissolve in the mouth while he was working at his desk. Pretzels too. Lots of dense calories without too much of a full feeling and no fiber or bulk.

I'm not saying that is what you are doing, but it will pay to review your intake and track carefully. Maybe there is something you can adjust there? Like Vismal pointed out, the loss you will get is by running a net negative consistently, the same as how everyone loses weight, surgery or no.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

If you're not losing weight, you're taking in more calories than you need.
    It really is that simple.
    No amount of ... changing ... your body is going to correct your overeating.
    _You_ have to do that yourself.

Figure out how much you should weigh, how much you should be eating (total, not net; ignore net), and how much you're currently eating.
    Then you'll know what you need to change to acheive your goal.

Helpful threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

I did a blog post about setting goals:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
    It includes BMI charts so you can set a healthy goal weight,
    as well as a couple of ways to determine how many calories you should be eating to get there.

The first time I met with my weight-loss doctor, he offered to start me on the path to surgery, and I said no.
    I don't want a lifelong restriction (& the lifelong problems which would come from messing up my GI system) when all I need to do is control what I eat & move more.
    At my last checkin, he told me that I've lost as much as they would have expected if I'd had the band installed (15%) ... and they're removing a lot of them because of problems.
    Plus I still had a lot more weight to lose, so I'd have to deal with the eating restrictions, problems with nutrition, etc. while not being at a healthy weight.
  • cassondra100
    cassondra100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are following the dietitian and doctors instructions but not losing weight have you had your thyroid checked? I am not sure if doctors test for thyroid issues prior to the gastric and lap band surgeries.

Just a thought, I'm not saying you have something wrong just curious if all blood work has been coming back ok. If it is then it can be calories in/calories out.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    If you are following the dietitian and doctors instructions but not losing weight have you had your thyroid checked? I am not sure if doctors test for thyroid issues prior to the gastric and lap band surgeries.

Just a thought, I'm not saying you have something wrong just curious if all blood work has been coming back ok. If it is then it can be calories in/calories out.
    If a doctor did not check thyroid levels before performing weight loss surgery I'd say SHAME ON THEM!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less for the surgery to work, so the advice sounds reasonable. How many calories a day are you eating to lose weight ?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you want to know whether or not you lost weight, you will need to get on the scale.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    The surgeries are a tool - NOT a solution. You need to do your part in this. Start tracking your calories because you are likely eating more than you think. Deal with your emotional/relationship issues with food, and dont say you dont have any (you might just be blind to them).

Until you deal with the underlying issues, no amount of surgeries will help you.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I just have to repeat what everyone else has said. You have to start weighing & tracking every single thing that you eat. You need to follow the diet your surgeon should have given you. You have made a lot of progress already, but you have to make the surgery work for you, not depend on it to do the work. The only time I regain is when I stop logging my food & following my calorie limits. I absolutely can not eat intuitively. If I had a healthy relationship with food, I would never have been over 100 lbs overweight. You have a great tool that will allow you to eat within your calorie goal without feeling hungry all the time. Make the most of it & don't sabotage yourself.
  • Mrs_Waddlez
    Mrs_Waddlez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the lapband in 2011....had it for three years...got really sick and lost 70lbs before gaining it back. I also had 3 revision surgeries. I did everything right and didn't lose for over a year. Sometimes it is not your fault. Count every single calorie and walk 3xs a week. If you don't lose....get that thing out of you. wishing you all the best!
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine also had the lap band done. She didn't loose any weight for the 1st yr. You have to have real commitment. Strict Diet, Exercise to your full capacity, Keep on pushing everyday. Its been 2 yrs for her now and she's dropped 70 pounds. It can be done but surgery, shakes, pills, etc are not magic. It takes hard work.
  • khandi000
    Options
    I don't think a lot of you were understanding my dilemma. I workout for 30-60 mins, 3-5 times a week, and am eating less than 800 calories as required, each day. All I really wanted to know is if anyone else on MFP has had my procedure and if they had good or poor results. I am following my surgeons requirements and obviously I'm doing better than I thought! Good news is I have actually lost a total of 15 lbs. since surgery, and 5 since my last visit in August. I am doing things correctly. The thing I have such a hard time remembering is that I lost 12 lbs. a month after gastric bypass, and this weight loss is going to be different. Back then I had more to lose, didn't exercise at all before surgery, and went from being insulin dependent to now having no diabetic issues or needing any insulin or diabetes meds at all. I was not seeing any results because they are much slighter than before. I am happy and healthy for the first time in many years so I'm all good!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about your procedure, but there are some groups on MFP for those who have had or are considering surgery. The one below is the one that I found that seemed to be most active, but there are others. You might be able to find people who have experience with your procedure there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband