recommendations for overweight out of shape

Options
Hi all, I'm 49 year old woman and would like some recommendations for exercises or dvds that wouldn't be too hard for me. Would really like to improve my fitness level which is non existent right now. Thanks

Replies

• moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    please do not be offended when I say this but if your fitness level is low and you are concerned you could start with sweatin to the oldies or zumba gold. I was really really bad and only 22 I started with zumba gold and it was just right
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Start walking more for a good start. If you can purchase a Fitbit, it will track the steps you take during the day, and it syncs with MFP. As you get accustomed to it walk farther and faster to boost your heart rate.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Anything that you would like to do! I personally enjoy Jillian Michaels' DVDs. The kick boxing is my personal favourite.

There's nothing you can't do! Options are endless. You could also just fire up Google and type in "at home bodyweight workouts" and it'll have some strength exercises you could do. Everyone starts somewhere, best of luck :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I started with walking. I walked everywhere and anywhere, i'd try and walk a little longer, a little faster each time. Then I moved to workout dvds and body weight exercises. now I run and lift
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Does Richard Simmons still make videos? DO IT!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Just Walk, Walk at Home, or Walk Away the Pounds......Leslie Sansone DVDs.

These are great for beginners because you can go at your own pace (no choreography).....just various low impact moves.

You can start with 5 minutes and keep adding on.
  • mfletcher2013
    mfletcher2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend water classes. I did some at the Y and they were great. No pressure on your joints.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Start slow with walks around the block to get into the habit of working out. Then look on YouTube for some quick 3-4 aerobics/ zumba/dancing to see if anything is interesting to you. Find something fun that you like. I like running, much to my surprise, so I downloaded some running apps to help me.