The forbidden food log...

Options
Not supposed to do this. Not supposed to count. Not supposed to log or blog it.
I broke my goal. I broke my rules. I can't tell anyone, because they will just tell me:
"Just eat" or "You need to eat" etc etc... which is the most pointless thing to tell someone with an eating disorder. Its such a struggle, the guilt... the thoughts... its all the time. When I'm awake and when I'm asleep. Its a constant battle. "Why don't you just think about something else" but I can't, no matter what I'm doing the thoughts are in the background. Distractions rarely work. Waking up and seeing my reflection... seeing the marks... seeing the weight. I'm trying not to weigh myself, but I've become compulsive again about my number. I had so many triggers last week... its no wonder I'm struggling so hard. Its a battle. Its a war. In my head. "why don't you just eat for the baby?" ... don't you think that is battling my ED thoughts 24/7? Don't you think that is another reason for the immense guilt I feel? I lose either way. I lose if I eat, because I feel guilty from ED. I lose if I don't eat, because I feel guilty for not nourishing my baby. Its so hard, and unless you struggle with this or something similar I don't expect you to understand.

Had a nightmare about my ex last night (big surprise) and about weight loss (very common). His mother was horrible and wouldn't stop bad mouthing me, she was sitting in the kitchen with me in the living room talking on the phone about me. My ex kept lying to me... hurting me... and making me feel ugly and fat. When he calls me fat in my dream, it carries over into real life. Its ridiculous because its a dream, he didn't really say or think those things... but it feels so real and its horrible. I woke up so many times crying and crying out. Awful night.

After a horrible night, where I binged on 1/2 a pizza at 2am.. I ate breakfast so the baby has some nourishment throughout the day, and I'll take my pills and drink my drinks but I won't add anything. For dinner its some peas with salt, yummy and what I've been craving but def not very high calorie. Still way under my limit. 600calories or so. Yikes. Will I tell my therapist? No. Will I tell my dietician? No. Will I tell my family or friends? No. Will I tell my doctor? No. Will people find out? Yes, eventually... at least by this Thursday when I'm weighed. My blood pressure is lowish, I can feel it. My doctor will just tell me to eat, but like I already said... that just doesn't work. I don't know how to get better. I don't feel the want, I want to lose weight. I just don't feel like eating anymore today. I've filled out my daily food log (which I started up again 2 days ago...) and clicked complete, so its done. I can't eat anymore because of my disorder and because of my OCD not to mess up something that is already completed. Going for a nap now. I'm tired.

I am in a hate/love relationship with ED.

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with ED and I am not trying to compare my bad habit with your awful struggle but as a smoker I do know what it is like to know that something can kill you but to be unable to stop and keep doing it anyway no matter how many people say "just stop" it just doesn't work.

But you have been so brave and told us all of this. You need to tell the people who might be able to help. Perhaps if you just print this out and give it to your therapist, nutritionist and doctor.

Sorry I know I am not much help but I was so touched by your candid post I really hope you can find a way to beat you ED.
  • tckaramel
    Options
    I just wanted to thank you for your reply manderson27.

That is such a fair comparison, I've never really looked at smoking that way... but I can see that addictions/illnesses or whatever you are struggling with all encompass things we struggle to overcome no matter how much we may desire to. Smoking, drugs, alcohol, overeating... they all have traits similar to that of my under eating.

My doctor will be finding out on Thursday at my weekly weigh in. I'm going to try and talk to someone about this before then, but if I'm unable to at least she will catch on later this week. I'd like to avoid hospitalization again *cross fingers*

You were very helpful, and encouraging. Thank you! Good luck in your journeys :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is a bit horrifying.

I understand the love/hate with your ED. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't also have positive feelings of their ED sometimes, even in recovery.

That being said--you're really, truly potentially hurting both your baby and yourself by remaining undernourished. It's good you're trying, but you need to inform your therapist and team somehow. I recommend printing out this letter and handing it to them, as physically speaking might be too difficult to do about this.

In the meantime, try and find support groups for people who have specifically recovered or are recovering from EDs while pregnant. Try and apply that same rigid/OCD tendency to, "I need to make sure my child is nourished at and the highest percentile they can be." Often the same tools that fueled our ED can be used to get us out of them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wow- that's a bit intense... I'm hoping you're going to have a better today today.

But I wanted to address this a ltitle.
    After a horrible night, where I binged on 1/2 a pizza at 2am.. I ate breakfast so the baby has some nourishment throughout the day, and I'll take my pills and drink my drinks but I won't add anything. For dinner its some peas with salt, yummy and what I've been craving but def not very high calorie. Still way under my limit. 600calories or so. Yikes. Will I tell my therapist? No. Will I tell my dietician? No. Will I tell my family or friends? No. Will I tell my doctor? No. Will people find out? Yes, eventually... at least by this Thursday when I'm weighed. My blood pressure is lowish, I can feel it. My doctor will just tell me to eat, but like I already said... that just doesn't work. I don't know how to get better. I don't feel the want, I want to lose weight. I just don't feel like eating anymore today.

I don't think 1/2 of a pie qualifies as a binge- it may not have been what you wanted- and you may have felt ouf of control- but you're not binging on half pie. I regularly eat a whole pizza- it's not a binge- it's fine. And with a half a pizza on you for the day- plus breakfast- you probably hit 1000. Still too low- but the pizza helped.

Secondly- if you are seeing a therapist- pony up- tell her/him.
    If your seeing a dietician- tell her/him
    Tell you're doctor.

THESE are the people who can help you- they are not there to judge you- they are there to help.

Thirdly- and this one is hard- stop ruminating.
    You sound a bit like me= and others I know who struggle with depression- thinking and churning and processing information- and you kind of sit in this feeling of despair and helplessness.

Don't rely on WANT to eat- or WANT to gain or lose.
    Set a schedule- set a timer- do the thing. If you wait around till you WANT to do it- you'll never make it happen. Instead of just thinking about it- don't give yourself a chance to talk yourself out- or think it over- just do it because you made a plan to do it- not because you WANT to do it.

Doing things- gets things done.

You CAN do it- but you can't talk yourself in circles about wanting to do it- you've got the tools in front of you. And it's so easy to just stay in that helpless feeling stage- but you're already going to the therapist- just close your eyes and talk- or write it out. or email her/him.

Take A step- any step- just take a step -it will help.

good luck sweetie.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hope that you're receiving mental as well as physical care for this. If you aren't seeing a counselor, please start. And if you can't TELL the people who need to know this, maybe print out this post and show it to them. It might be easier.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to scare you but I had a friend who was pregnant and wouldn't eat after trying and trying to get her to feed herself for the baby they ended up locking her up to be watched 24/7 in attempt to save the baby that she desperately wanted but not enough to eat. I know this will come off as insensitive and I apologize for being so blunt but the biggest part of being a parent is putting your child first. I struggled with bulimia from when I was in 6th grade up until I got pregnant I would binge and throw up binge throw up binge throw up have a good 2 weeks and it would start all over. I drank ALOT I smoked ALOT and I wasn't healthy from the moment I found out I was pregnant I went cold turkey with EVERYTHING because its my baby, my sweet little baby. I will pray for you and hope that you find the strength you need to do what you need to.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    so are you pregnant???? or breastfeeding???? omg. you need to seek help now. there are thousands of birth defects that already could possibly happen all by themselves. why would you want to increase that risk??? Yes, eat but eat nutritiously. I mean autism and retardism is on the rise. That baby needs brain cells. Tell the people in your life who care about you what you are going through. Sometimes the hardest part in getting help is the part where you have to admit things you do secretly. I wish you and your baby all the best.
  • tckaramel
    Options
    I decided to make this post explaining who I am and why I am here:

Hello, my name is Kara and I am 21 years old.

On the outside I look like your average college bound, young adult.
    On the inside I struggle with Anxiety, PTSD, and worst of all I have an eating disorder.

I've had an incredibly traumatizing year after I was hurt very badly by my ex-fiance right after discovering I was pregnant.

Something you should know about eating disorders... there is no cure. There is a thin wall between recovery and relapse.
    Mine remained dormant for a few years but...
    I ended up relapsing into my eating disorder, and spent a good portion of my pregnancy in an inpatient eating disorder clinic.
    Finally after many many calorie exchanges, putting on some weight, group sessions with others struggling, and lots of classes I was cleared. On condition of my release, I moved in with family for support in reaching 'recovery'.

I see my ob/gyn to monitor my little one, I see my therapist to get things off my chest, and I see my dietician for obvious reasons.
    All of this I do weekly, and I never miss an appointment, and I have gained a lot of healthy weight for my baby due to this.
    My eating disorder went dormant again, and I was in a supposed recovery stage again.

With less than a month left until my baby is here, and with multiple other stresses and triggers I have relapsed a little. It is not full blown or anything extremely crazy. I'm not trying to lose weight yet, and I am still striving to reach my daily goal of 2,000 calories (most of the time succeeding!). I am merely having a lot more ED thoughts, with the occasional days I find it hard to reach my goals. I never have dropped below 1,300calories since I've gotten out of clinic.

Something you should know is I think about my baby constantly. She is the entire reason I am trying so hard, and fighting this. I have to fight at every meal and snack time for her. I put aside my own selfish desires, so I can give her the nutrition she needs to grow and be healthy. I've been told every scare tactic in the book, and I couldn't agree more. Sometimes, I.. just... can't. Sometimes I need to vent, sometimes I need to blow off steam and complain. Sometimes, I need to just let all the awful eating disorder thoughts out of my head so I don't act on them.

Do you know what its like to hate yourself when you eat, and hate yourself when you don't? Do you know the intense desire I feel to waste away to nothing, and to stop taking up space? Do you know how it feels to walk past a mirror and be completely disgusted by your own reflection? Do you know what it is like to struggle with these thoughts that haunt you when you are sleeping or awake???

How can you judge me when you don't know?

You call me a horrible mother? I am fighting the hardest battle of my life right now, all for her! I try so damn hard.
    You call me psychotic? No I am not crazy, insane, and I don't suffer from psychosis. I don't see hallucinations or delusions.
    You call me stupid? Again, I'm quite intelligent as much as you'd like to believe otherwise... I just happen to struggle with eating.
    You call me a troll? No, I'm not kidding you. An eating disorder is not a joke, many people suffer and die from it.
    You tell me to kill myself? I'm sorry you don't think I deserve to live, but suicide is never the answer.
    You tell me how ugly and fat I am? This doesn't even phase me, because I already think these things...
    You tell me to 'just eat'? Why don't you go try telling someone with broken legs to 'just walk', it is the same thing... pointless.

I love my daughter, more than life itself. I would gladly give my life for her. I have gained weight for her, something that absolutely terrifies me. I have gotten stretchmarks from carrying her, because I've never been this size before. I eat, when eating is a non-enjoyable task for me. I provide everything she needs, and I am at an appointment almost daily making sure she is on track and developing properly. I talk to her, and I tell her my struggles... and I have written her letters telling her what a struggle this pregnancy has been for me, but that I'd do it over in a heartbeat just to have her here.

I came on this site for support, and to try and meet others with similar battles and struggles. I have met some very very nice and helpful people, but now I am getting bullied for having an eating disorder and not hiding it.

I am being messaged terrible things about myself. Do you think this helps my disorder?
    I understand constructive criticism, but I will never understand blatant bullying. Name calling, and being told terrible things.

Don't put me down. Don't judge me for my disorder. Don't harass and embarrass me.

thanks~

p.s. for those of you who have left me something encouraging and sweet, thank you. Your comments weren't ignored. I took the advice and did call my dietician about things the other day. Thank you again, and you are the kind of good people I like to see on this website!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm about to cry my eyes out at work mostly for that poor defenceless baby. I had an addiction and stopped while pregant. Just do it for the baby please. :cry:
  • SeattleRaven
    Options
    Best wishes to you and your little one.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    'Real' people won't love you more or less if you're skinny or fat.

Just remember, someone who is too skinny is just as unhealthy, unhappy, and unattractive as someone who is obese.

If you don't want to eat healthy for yourself, do it for your baby.
  • tckaramel
    Options
    'Real' people won't love you more or less if you're skinny or fat.

Just remember, someone who is too skinny is just as unhealthy, unhappy, and unattractive as someone who is obese.

If you don't want to eat healthy for yourself, do it for your baby.

Definition of real: Actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.

By definition every human being is 'real' as we all exist. Believe it or not people (not every single person obviously) will love you more or less depending on how thin you are, and people do judge you.

In my opinion skinny looks good, and obese and overweight looks bad.
    When I'm skinny, I happen to be very happy.
    You can be skinny and healthy.

Did you completely just ignore what I posted?

Go back and read what I posted, and then go educate yourself on anorexia and eating disorders.
    I'll make it easy and copy and paste what I wrote:

" With less than a month left until my baby is here, and with multiple other stresses and triggers I have relapsed a little. It is not full blown or anything extremely crazy. I'm not trying to lose weight yet, and I am still striving to reach my daily goal of 2,000 calories (most of the time succeeding!). I am merely having a lot more ED thoughts, with the occasional days I find it hard to reach my goals. I never have dropped below 1,300calories since I've gotten out of clinic.

Something you should know is I think about my baby constantly. She is the entire reason I am trying so hard, and fighting this. I have to fight at every meal and snack time for her. I put aside my own selfish desires, so I can give her the nutrition she needs to grow and be healthy. I've been told every scare tactic in the book, and I couldn't agree more. Sometimes, I.. just... can't. Sometimes I need to vent, sometimes I need to blow off steam and complain. Sometimes, I need to just let all the awful eating disorder thoughts out of my head so I don't act on them. "

I've made it very clear how hard I am working for my baby, and for myself. Hence why I checked myself into treatment when I found out I was pregnant... and how I have a big team of outpatient medical professionals helping me get through this. I stated how I've not decreased my calories below 1, 300 calories. I am eating! I occasionally have the bad day, and can't meet my goal calorie intake, but I am not starving myself and trying to lose weight.

Ugh, ignorance.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Ignorance?? Really? Are you not judging others in the same way you perceive they may be judging you?

Your posts indicate a lot of anger and defensiveness....I realise you have a lot of support around you for various issues, maybe its time to talk to a counsellor regarding the anger.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand what you are going through (fortunately for me), but do please trust the people that are there to help you, open up to them, and follow their instructions, although your inner demons are telling you not to.
    And yes, grow strong for your daughter, because she will need you, not only now, but definitely after she is born, 24/7.

For even without the problems you are going through, taking care of a baby is very demanding, more so if you are a single mam. I can only admire them.
    I am sure that more mams will agree with me that how you look is not that important after you first had a baby, more often than not, it was noon till I got dressed those first few weeks, and not because I was being lazy.

And don't worry about the stretch marks, carry them with pride. They are there because you created a life!
    I am proud of mine. They were given to me by my second baby, who is turning six in two weeks time! My belly reminds me he used to live in there, and I will carry this memento long after he has grown into a man.
    (I am pretty sure my wrinkly face is caused by my three kids as well :) )
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Ignorance?? Really? Are you not judging others in the same way you perceive they may be judging you?

Your posts indicate a lot of anger and defensiveness....I realise you have a lot of support around you for various issues, maybe its time to talk to a counsellor regarding the anger.

Defensiveness is almost always part of an ED.. Even if the person is not a defensive person in other aspects of their life, they will be VERY defensive when it comes to their ED.

EDs are nasty things. Even the sweetest, most honest person in the world can act defensive, manipulative and deceptive when it comes to protecting their disordered behavior. Just putting this out there in the open for others to see and judge and potentially attack,is likely a really big thing for the OP to have done.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    :( I wish I could give you a hug!!

I never had a ED but when I was about 5 mths into my pregnancy (year n years ago) I never ever felt hungry. Ever. I had to force myself to eat. I remember it clearly :( eating n crying ... I'd call my mom n cry to her cuz I had to force myself to eat. It was horrible. Had I not been pregnant I wouldn't of ate ... but since I was I forced myself for the baby.

Please talk to your doctor.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    you really, really, REALLY need to show your doctor and therapist this thread to give them some more insight as to what your going through. forums are good to vent for stuff like this, but thats about it. youre not going to get much quality advice here regarding ED's other than someones personal experience, and that varies so much from person to person that it very well could not apply to your situation.

people here arent bullying you, they are expressing genuine concern for you and your baby

please dont keep things like this from your therapist or doctor. best of luck to you, i sincerely mean that
  • tckaramel
    Options
    I cannot understand what you are going through (fortunately for me), but do please trust the people that are there to help you, open up to them, and follow their instructions, although your inner demons are telling you not to.
    And yes, grow strong for your daughter, because she will need you, not only now, but definitely after she is born, 24/7.

For even without the problems you are going through, taking care of a baby is very demanding, more so if you are a single mam. I can only admire them.
    I am sure that more mams will agree with me that how you look is not that important after you first had a baby, more often than not, it was noon till I got dressed those first few weeks, and not because I was being lazy.

And don't worry about the stretch marks, carry them with pride. They are there because you created a life!
    I am proud of mine. They were given to me by my second baby, who is turning six in two weeks time! My belly reminds me he used to live in there, and I will carry this memento long after he has grown into a man.
    (I am pretty sure my wrinkly face is caused by my three kids as well :) )

You are so sweet. I will keep a lot you said in mind.
  • tckaramel
    Options

Defensiveness is almost always part of an ED.. Even if the person is not a defensive person in other aspects of their life, they will be VERY defensive when it comes to their ED.

EDs are nasty things. Even the sweetest, most honest person in the world can act defensive, manipulative and deceptive when it comes to protecting their disordered behavior. Just putting this out there in the open for others to see and judge and potentially attack,is likely a really big thing for the OP to have done.

I agree with this, I'm trying really hard to be more vocal in hopes it will help me overcome things but it is hard feeling so judged etc etc. I'm really not a mean person :/
    Thank you for sticking up for me.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi OP

Firstly, I want to send a huge hug your way. I can see that you really love your baby and that you're trying very hard to look after her. I don't have time for the huge response I want to write, as it's late at night here, but I do want you to know that I understand. I developed eating disorders at around the age of 13/14 and it wasn't until my 36th year that I finally stumbled across something that truly helped me. I actually found pregnancy put my disordered eating on pause, but it came back with a vengeance afterwards. I had tried all kinds of therapists and thy didn't help at all, but you know what did work for me? Hypnotherapy. It has changed my life. I highly recommend finding a reputable hypnotherapist and giving it a go.

You're so close to metting your little girl, so please keep doing the best you can and use all the resources you have available.

PM me if you want to chat.

xxx