What are your thoughts on intuitive eating?

Options
12346»

Replies

• DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    lol. i don't even know where to start. "Yogic" diet? lolwut? i've practiced yoga for almost 10 years now - i never knew there was a special diet. lol. (read: there's not. that's BS)

and as for intuitive eating? i think it's a nice little myth. like others have said, that's how many have ended up overweight. i don't think i'll ever be able to just intuitively eat. but, i like the awareness i have when counting and eating deliberately. intuitive eating is a unicorn.

How do you think skinny people who don't diet do it?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that said it, intuitive eating was what got me fat in the first place.

I would be having a whole bag of toasted coconut covered marshmallows for dinner tonight if I was eating intuitively. At this point I'm not so much concerned with too many calories, but I don't want to eat a meal that doesn't help me meet my macro goals. "Is there enough protein in my breakfast?" is something I ask myself every day. If I wasn't planning, logging and measuring I wouldn't be sure.
    If your body is asking for marshmallows for dinner, you're probably listening to the wrong part.

You should be able to learn to use intuition and intelligence at the same time. Not that eating marshmallows is stupid, but you don't have to throw out knowledge to use intuition.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that said it, intuitive eating was what got me fat in the first place.

I would be having a whole bag of toasted coconut covered marshmallows for dinner tonight if I was eating intuitively. At this point I'm not so much concerned with too many calories, but I don't want to eat a meal that doesn't help me meet my macro goals. "Is there enough protein in my breakfast?" is something I ask myself every day. If I wasn't planning, logging and measuring I wouldn't be sure.
    If your body is asking for marshmallows for dinner, you're probably listening to the wrong part.

You should be able to learn to use intuition and intelligence at the same time. Not that eating marshmallows is stupid, but you don't have to throw out knowledge to use intuition.

That's why it needs to be controlled intuition. Oftentimes I see some kind of a high calorie snack in the kitchen and intuitively I would just pick it up and eat it before I was considering weight loss. Now when I do I ask myself "do I really want this? Is it worth the cut from my calorie budget?" and if the answer is yes I just pick it up and eat it, and I often do, but on many other occasions I surprise myself with the realization "nah.. I don't even like it that much". The desire and the craving goes away. So basically it wasn't intuition, it was a force of habit.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

That's why it needs to be controlled intuition. Oftentimes I see some kind of a high calorie snack in the kitchen and intuitively I would just pick it up and eat it before I was considering weight loss. Now when I do I ask myself "do I really want this? Is it worth the cut from my calorie budget?" and if the answer is yes I just pick it up and eat it, and I often do, but on many other occasions I surprise myself with the realization "nah.. I don't even like it that much". The desire and the craving goes away. So basically it wasn't intuition, it was a force of habit.

I know the basic idea of intuitive eating is to eat only when hungry and stop when full. Part of it is also eating what you crave, right? What your body is telling you to eat? Right now, I am into lifting so much so that protein is the biggest factor in choosing my meals. All my dinners are home cooked from whole ingredients, and I make sure I hit my macros which usually means eating mostly "clean" - though I am not religious about it... that being said. I would eat nothing but bbq baked lays for every meal, and "stopping when I'm full" doesn't exist for me. That's why weighing out my portions and logging them before eating is a must for me.

So yeah, not everyone's intuition about food can be trusted. I'm sure some people can do it, but it seems like an excuse to overeat.
  • DebTavares
    Options
    Skinny people have two things going for them: physiology and habits.

Physiologically, their bodies are very good at telling them when they're full and when they're hungry. They know when they're full and stop eating. Eating too much makes them uncomfortable.

As far as habits go, they only eat one slice of pizza instead of the entire pizza because that's what they've always eaten. They don't upsize their fries because they've always ordered a small.

My hunger-fullness cues are broken. I can never get too full and as a result can just keep on eating. Habits I can change. I now know it's perfectly fine to have a slice of pizza. I also know it's dumb to eat the entire pizza. In my weight loss journey I've focussed on making long lasting habits that eventually became second nature. I don't count calories but I am cognizant of the calories in various foods and also can visualize what a decent portion size is. This can work, but you have to be really honest with yourself.
    Wow talk about a bunch of ridiculous generalisations about thin people... Personally I am never full and could continue to eat but I don't because I know I will get fat. I never eat only one slice of pizza and could easily eat a whole pizza (and have) but I don't because I don't want to get fat. Eating never makes me uncomfortable. People of all sizes have the same issues it is just a matter of how they deal with them.

I never did say I wasn't generalizing though. I'm talking about skinny people who never have to diet or watch what they eat yet remain skinny. From my observations skinny people eat less because their bodies are good at telling them when to stop and they also have good habits whether they know it or not. My body is not good at telling me when to stop and as a result I can keep on eating.
  • wannabehealthyagain
    Options
    I think a lot of people are confusing intuitive eating with emotional eating or overeating out of boredom. Intuitive eating involves learning true hunger signals. Many people mistake boredom or emotional hunger signals for true hunger signals, and therein lies the problem.

^^^^This to all of you saying "intuitive eating made you overweight" or "mine is broken" and such.
  • wannabehealthyagain
    Options
    Also....some are using the word "intuitive" in place of the word "habitual". You don't "intuitively" eat a bag of marshmallows for dinner...you don't "intuitively" grab some high calorie snack from the kitchen just because it's there....you "habitually" do these things. It's "habit" to eat crap, it's "habit" to eat when bored (or angry or sad or whatever else you want to use as an excuse this time) Habit is NOT intuition.
  • KeshiaBeard
    Options
    Also....some are using the word "intuitive" in place of the word "habitual". You don't "intuitively" eat a bag of marshmallows for dinner...you don't "intuitively" grab some high calorie snack from the kitchen just because it's there....you "habitually" do these things. It's "habit" to eat crap, it's "habit" to eat when bored (or angry or sad or whatever else you want to use as an excuse this time) Habit is NOT intuition.

This!
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Physiologically, their bodies are very good at telling them when they're full and when they're hungry. They know when they're full and stop eating. Eating too much makes them uncomfortable.

As far as habits go, they only eat one slice of pizza instead of the entire pizza because that's what they've always eaten. They don't upsize their fries because they've always ordered a small.

My hunger-fullness cues are broken. I can never get too full and as a result can just keep on eating. Habits I can change. I now know it's perfectly fine to have a slice of pizza. I also know it's dumb to eat the entire pizza. In my weight loss journey I've focussed on making long lasting habits that eventually became second nature. I don't count calories but I am cognizant of the calories in various foods and also can visualize what a decent portion size is. This can work, but you have to be really honest with yourself.
    Wow talk about a bunch of ridiculous generalisations about thin people... Personally I am never full and could continue to eat but I don't because I know I will get fat. I never eat only one slice of pizza and could easily eat a whole pizza (and have) but I don't because I don't want to get fat. Eating never makes me uncomfortable. People of all sizes have the same issues it is just a matter of how they deal with them.

I never did say I wasn't generalizing though. I'm talking about skinny people who never have to diet or watch what they eat yet remain skinny. From my observations skinny people eat less because their bodies are good at telling them when to stop and they also have good habits whether they know it or not. My body is not good at telling me when to stop and as a result I can keep on eating.
    They may not diet per say but that doesn't mean they aren't actively watching what they eat. Maybe they eat less because they are actually doing it on purpose not because of some bodily response? This type of generalisation fosters the attitude that most thin people are just lucky and it has nothing to do with how they actively manage themselves and I am sure most do. I have the same impulses as most and could eat for days but I don't and that is an active mental choice nothing to do with what my body is telling me as it is usually screaming "MOARRR!!!". People don't like it when others generalise about overweight people being lazy so why is ok to do the same about those that are thin minimising the effort (that you might not be aware of) that they maybe putting in?
  • DebTavares
    Options

They may not diet per say but that doesn't mean they aren't actively watching what they eat. Maybe they eat less because they are actually doing it on purpose not because of some bodily response? This type of generalisation fosters the attitude that most thin people are just lucky and it has nothing to do with how they actively manage themselves and I am sure most do. I have the same impulses as most and could eat for days but I don't and that is an active mental choice nothing to do with what my body is telling me as it is usually screaming "MOARRR!!!". People don't like it when others generalise about overweight people being lazy so why is ok to do the same about those that are thin minimising the effort (that you might not be aware of) that they maybe putting in?

Of course there are thin people who watch what they eat and work very hard. I'm talking about the thin people who never diet because their bodies are good at telling them when to stop eating and because they have habits that work in their favour, whether they're cognizant of those habits or not. As a result, they never have to count a single calorie.
  • mcpinier
    Options
    I see intuitive eating as an artform. The process, as laid out by certain proponents, is not an approach that I can adopt fully, but it has a lot of merit anyway, and it has brought mental peace to thousands of people (many of whom weren't losing weight with tracking anyway), so it is most certainly a priceless contribution. For me, I don't believe in the HAES idea. My body feels good in a certain weight range, and I prefer to be in that range. But I stopped logging a long time ago and have lost more and improved my body composition since then. I dislike logging for many reasons, chief among them being that it is a serious pain to try to do well when you home cook everything (I basically end up underestimating as Nia Shanks points out).

That being said, if you define intuitive eating as eating whatever you want, whenever you want, then no, it's not a good approach and you most likely will not lose weight. I incorporate intuitive eating as learning to love the foods that love me back. Foods that love me back are foods that promote lean satiety, the experience of enduring fullness without energy crashes on relatively few calories. These foods also tend to make me feel better in general. If I just eat rapid-release carbs all the time, I will get hungry frequently. Within IE, they would tell me that's okay, go ahead and eat the white bread. This is where my path differs because I have genuinely come to feel like I don't want to eat foods that will physiologically make me feel hungry again in just two or three hours. And those foods just generally don't make me feel well overall anyway. This is has been a revelation for me, so much better than the constantly compressed feeling that I had when I was logging. I have learned to choose what leads to a lower weight, not because I 'should' or I need to stay within my quotas, simply because I genuinely feel better.

I should also mention that a family member of mine has maintained a 30+ lbs loss for ten years with IE.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Really great post and philosophy, thanks for sharing! :)
    I see intuitive eating as an artform. The process, as laid out by certain proponents, is not an approach that I can adopt fully, but it has a lot of merit anyway, and it has brought mental peace to thousands of people (many of whom weren't losing weight with tracking anyway), so it is most certainly a priceless contribution. For me, I don't believe in the HAES idea. My body feels good in a certain weight range, and I prefer to be in that range. But I stopped logging a long time ago and have lost more and improved my body composition since then. I dislike logging for many reasons, chief among them being that it is a serious pain to try to do well when you home cook everything (I basically end up underestimating as Nia Shanks points out).

That being said, if you define intuitive eating as eating whatever you want, whenever you want, then no, it's not a good approach and you most likely will not lose weight. I incorporate intuitive eating as learning to love the foods that love me back. Foods that love me back are foods that promote lean satiety, the experience of enduring fullness without energy crashes on relatively few calories. These foods also tend to make me feel better in general. If I just eat rapid-release carbs all the time, I will get hungry frequently. Within IE, they would tell me that's okay, go ahead and eat the white bread. This is where my path differs because I have genuinely come to feel like I don't want to eat foods that will physiologically make me feel hungry again in just two or three hours. And those foods just generally don't make me feel well overall anyway. This is has been a revelation for me, so much better than the constantly compressed feeling that I had when I was logging. I have learned to choose what leads to a lower weight, not because I 'should' or I need to stay within my quotas, simply because I genuinely feel better.

I should also mention that a family member of mine has maintained a 30+ lbs loss for ten years with IE.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it is simply a math equation, if you do not know the number you are either gaining weight that day or losing weight. I eat with a purpose, to either get leaner, or build muscle (depending on if I am cutting or bulking), you cannot intuitively cut or bulk, you will simply spin wheels unless you go to the extreme and just over eat on your bulk. As far as maintaining goes, I do not intend to maintain, I need progress or I will find complacency and get fat as hell again. I do not want to be ok with where I am, I want to be better everyday.... so the numbers are critical to me, to those with other goals in life where fitness is secondary or lesser, it won't matter.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it is simply a math equation, if you do not know the number you are either gaining weight that day or losing weight. I eat with a purpose, to either get leaner, or build muscle (depending on if I am cutting or bulking), you cannot intuitively cut or bulk, you will simply spin wheels unless you go to the extreme and just over eat on your bulk. As far as maintaining goes, I do not intend to maintain, I need progress or I will find complacency and get fat as hell again. I do not want to be ok with where I am, I want to be better everyday.... so the numbers are critical to me, to those with other goals in life where fitness is secondary or lesser, it won't matter.

It is possible to both cut and bulk without tracking.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options

I disagree with your first sentence - just because you ( general everybody you) does not know the number you are eating does not mean you are gaining or losing weight.

Many people gain, lose or maintain weight without knowing the number of calories they are eating. If they eat in a surplus, they gain weight, in a deficit they lose weight and at maitenance level they maintain - this happens whether or not you know the number.

If what you (again, general you) are doing is working for what you want in terms of gaining, losing, maintaining or if you don't care if you gain,lose, maintain, then no need to count calories.