I'm the only one that eats in public.

Options

Replies

• mylovelyremedy
    Options
    I love the support I'm getting! Thanks guys.
    I'll keep doing me. Its nice to know I'm not a freak and some people are the same way, as weird as it may seem to ourselves.

Once again, thank you
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If I saw any of my friends tossing out food, I'd totally just ask them for it. Box it up, snack or dinner for later for free. Woot woot.
  • karenfryman
    karenfryman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    They are the same people who will be sneaking to the vending machines for a Coke and a candy when they didn't get full by picking. :flowerforyou:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty. And you only feel weird about it because you're the only one actually eating. So weird of them. Just eat your food and be happy you're not wasting money.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    They are the same people who will be sneaking to the vending machines for a Coke and a candy when they didn't get full by picking. :flowerforyou:

I tend to agree. Even though I always ate my whole meal, there were many times when I was at my heaviest that I would pack just a cucumber and hummus for my work lunch - I thought I was doing so well by restricting myself somewhat - and on my way home I would stop at a fast food place for a burger AND/OR Starbucks for a high calorie drink.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling. It seems like someone at work is always saying, are you eating all of that? Are you eating again? You eat more than most men!

Food is fuel. Tell them to try to drive their car or any vehicle without fuel. They'll have fun with that.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in theater (she's an aspiring actress and has been in a few professional productions), and now that she has started socializing with other women in theater and the arts, she said she has noticed that most of them are on diets and when they eat in restaurants, don't eat bread, order only salads and leave most of the meals on the plate. All of them talk about not eating carbs, gluten, sugar, etc. She's 5'9" and around 150-160 and said she felt like a total pig the first time she ate out with them and couldn't understand it because to eat out on a limited budget is a big deal, so she would eat the bread and order a good-sized meal. But apparently, eating very little publicly is very much a trend among young women, especially in professions that are more appearance-oriented.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a girlfriend like that too. We have been friends for years, she would do anything for me, but the food thing--MAN! She is super tiny and 54 year old. She walks literally 10 miles a day on a treadmill--I am not making that up. She has lots of health issues and that is a way for her to stay limber and flexible. She is not overweight at all-it's for health--BUT…the eating. She literally eats 10 blueberries and 1/4 of a waffle for breakfast. I have never in 12 years of being friends with her seen her finish a meal. I have talked with her about my losing weight and she had loads of tips. She talked about how if my treat every night is one cookie, go to half a cookie for a while, then go to a quarter of a cookie and see if that is satisfying. I just can't go to those extremes.

My advice is get over it--enjoy your food! If for no other reason than it's wasteful. I always at least take leftovers home-two ravenous teenage sons will eat pretty much anything I bring home! I know what you mean about feeling like you are pigging out, but you know you're not. Try to not let it get to you. It starts to be a negative competition, like who ate the least. Ridiculous. Why go out and pay good money for any item that you are going to toss.

just my two cents!!!!!
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like yours, but it is worse. She will say "let's split an order of fries" and I say no, but she orders them anyways and puts them in the middle of the table.

Well she eats 3 fries and I finish off the basket :-(

I am trying to stop letting her weirdness affect me and stick to my plans
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    I love the support I'm getting! Thanks guys.
    I'll keep doing me. Its nice to know I'm not a freak and some people are the same way, as weird as it may seem to ourselves.

Once again, thank you

Oh we never said you weren't a freak, we're all freaks in one thing or another, just not in the way you eat :tongue: :tongue:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The media is to blame for women's poor body image and has resulted in a lot of eating disorders. That compulsion to not eat is not healthy. Continue eating. Your friends may not be all that healthy. Also, slow down and enjoy what you eat.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Own it like a boss!

ruboCtA.gif

Sounds like you have a healthy relationship with food, you friends may be picky eaters or suffer from peer pressure, social media etc either way don't let their behavior dictate change in your life if what you are doing is healthy and beneficial.
  • Raeesa_777
    Options
    When I was not doing anything about my weight. I would feel embarrassed to be seen eating a hamburger or a packet of chips.. now that I have lost weight and that I know that I am not eating the wrong things most of the time... I feel comfortable eating in public. Even with people who don't eat
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, your friends are mental. Why buy it if you won't eat it? Sounds like some kind of weird one-upping game. Makes me think of mediaeval monks competing in self-flagellation.

If you love them, meet them another time rather than over lunch.

If you value your lunch dates too much, I guess you're going to have to put up with their crazy. But don't starve yourself, apart from harming your own health it would only be enabling their weird behaviour.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I would feel awkward, too, being around people who deliberately waste food. It's one thing to accidentally have too much and not get fat off it by being a member of the clean plate club, it's another to sit around and make a show of not eating what is in front of you. They should bring their own food from home, in appropriate portion sizes. Sounds like they're just playing silly social status games with their food.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    But how do I stop from feeling almost guilty for being the only girl to eat everything in public?

There is no reason to feel guilty. I could never understand why someone would order something just to take a few bites and throw it away. If I'm not hungry enough to finish something I order (depending on how much is left) I take it home for another meal. Personally, I'd feel guilty if I ordered something, picked at it like a bird and threw the rest out (unless of course I find it gross, but then I try to pass it off to someone else before throwing it out).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP--you just keep doing you okay....okay. Eat until you feel full

tumblr_lbxsjz1bmT1qa67jso1_500.jpg
  • JulieFinn
    JulieFinn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like yours, but it is worse. She will say "let's split an order of fries" and I say no, but she orders them anyways and puts them in the middle of the table.

Well she eats 3 fries and I finish off the basket :-(

I am trying to stop letting her weirdness affect me and stick to my plans

The next time she does that, and I'm assuming SHE pays for the fries, after she has eaten her few fries and says she is done with them, pour some water on them and then you won't be tempted to eat them.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in theater (she's an aspiring actress and has been in a few professional productions), and now that she has started socializing with other women in theater and the arts, she said she has noticed that most of them are on diets and when they eat in restaurants, don't eat bread, order only salads and leave most of the meals on the plate. All of them talk about not eating carbs, gluten, sugar, etc. She's 5'9" and around 150-160 and said she felt like a total pig the first time she ate out with them and couldn't understand it because to eat out on a limited budget is a big deal, so she would eat the bread and order a good-sized meal. But apparently, eating very little publicly is very much a trend among young women, especially in professions that are more appearance-oriented.

Here's what my BFA in Theatre has to say about this: eating disorders among young, female actors are SO COMMON. So much emphasis is placed on being thin (fat actresses have fewer casting options, trust me) that the environment encourages disordered thoughts about food and body image. Everyone is on a diet and obsessing about their appearance, all the time. Add the hormones and inexperience of youth, and most of these women are a mess. I was one of them.

Reading the OP's description of her friends reminded me of my theatre friends in college. Only a bite or two of this and that, humblebragging about it the whole time. It was almost a point of pride to show others how little you cared for food, or how good your discipline was.

My favorite breakfast used to be what I called my Supermodel Breakfast: cup of coffee, cigarette, and an altoid mint after. Of course, as another poster commented, later in secret I would binge on vending machine chips and candy, hating myself for sabotaging my goals.

OP, you keep doing you, and don't get bogged down in other people's weirdness. Those young women are busy sorting out their issues with food. You keep giving them a healthy model, and enjoy your lunch. :smile:
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If I saw any of my friends tossing out food, I'd totally just ask them for it. Box it up, snack or dinner for later for free. Woot woot.

That would be me! Just enjoy your food and know you're doing it right.