Any success with Hypothyroidism.Bipolar Disorder?

Options
Hi! So, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism last year and since then I've gained a total of about 40+ pounds. I have managed to lose 14 of those pounds through exercise and counting calories, but I'm still not content. The progress seems to be going slower than I expected. I feel as if I'm doing something wrong. Are there any guidelines to follow, taking into account my condition?

Also, I am taking medication for Bipolar I disorder, and I don't know if that interferes as well.

Replies

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I don't know much about hypothyrodism, but as for bipolar/borderline medication, I do have experience with that (I have BPD). I'm not sure what medication you're taking but there are some that the side effects are weight gain. I've been on just about every medication under the sun, and honestly, unless the actual medication just made me want to eat 24/7, or I just never felt full (which I've never had that feeling, but I know there are people who have described that feeling with certain medications), if you've found something that works for you well, stay with it. It's SO hard when we're trying to find something to level out chemical imbalances, that it's hell having to hop around from one to another (I'm probably preaching to the choir here, too.)
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    I don't know if its similar but the meds I'm on for GAD, OCD and depression have made me pile on the weight hugely.
    Good luck with your journey :)
  • Pippa_ttc
    Pippa_ttc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism really slows down the metabolism, but are you on daily throid meds? Are they checking your TSH, T3, T4 levels at least 2-3 times a year? I've been able to lose weight since my thyroxine levels were stabilised in the normal range with meds. Before that, I couldn't lose hardly any weight at all..
  • cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, I take Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism, and latuda for Bipolar, my goal is to to lose 70 more pounds, I've lost 10. Its very doable, I just have to watch my calories and exercise , and the weight has been steadily coming off at a pound a week. Good Luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!