Couch 2 5k but missed a week's worth of running

Options
Hiya just after some advice,

My last run was last week Wednesday - Week 4 Run 2. it's now Tuesday and I've missed Saturday and Monday for my Week 4 Run 3 and Week 5 Run 1. I am aiming to be able to run 5k by the end of September for a Colour Run. It means now that I've missed this week I'll be a bit behind. Is it ok for me to just jump right on to Week 5 Run 1? Considering I've been lazy for a week (except hockey training on Thursday night). Ugh I can't believe I've let myself down like this.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Give it a crack, the worst thing that could happen is that it could kick your *kitten* a bit, then you just keep at it, or drop back for a run if you think you need to,
  • mysti77
    mysti77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Give it a crack, the worst thing that could happen is that it could kick your *kitten* a bit, then you just keep at it, or drop back for a run if you think you need to,

Thanks Alatariel75. I am so fed up of getting to a few weeks in and giving up and this is the first time I've reached nearly week 5. Most times I stop at week 2 or 3
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Keep at it,

and as someone who has done the Color Me Rad run, it is virtually impossible to completely run the whole thing. There will be congestion, route changes, water break and the most important part, walking through the colour zones.

Unless you have a solid base I would not jump into Week 5, which is supposed to be the toughest week. Try Week 4 and see how it goes.

And congrats on continuing the training.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i would pick up where i left off in training. if you don't quite get through the whole C25K program by the time the event comes up, you can run/walk it. when i did C25K, each new week was a challenge, and skipping a week would have caused me to give up completely.

i did the Color Run last year with every intention of running the whole thing, but it was impossible. i ran until i hit the crowd of walkers, then walked the course until the sprint at the finish line.

have fun! keep with the program, and you will amaze yourself! i know i did!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Just pick up where you left off; if you had a hockey practice it's unlikely you've lost much of anything. Muscles should be nice and fresh and ready to rock.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck on Week 4, day 2 for 3 workouts now. At first I thought it was because I took 3 days off (I know that isn't good for me personally), but now I'm still hitting a wall. Finally, with my cross training, I'm at least not so out of breath. I haven't been able to push through past the last 3 minutes of running yet. I will get there, but it will take some time.

Don't worry about not finishing the couch-2-5K app before your 5K. I started out doing a 5K on week 1 of the app. I finished just fine. I was told by my spectators that I was in the beginning of the "walking" group which was great for me. I am hopeful to finish by Sept. 21 for my 3rd 5K, but I'm not going to get depressed if I'm not. I'm going to get there. My 5Ks keep my eye on the goal.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Actually I'd say that the worst that could happen is an injury.

Personally I'd say pick it up again at the same point rather than skipping forward.
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine skipping ahead. I was on week 2 and found it a little too easy, so I skipped to week 4. Worst case I'd stop jogging for 10-15 seconds and then go again til it was time to walk. :)
  • mysti77
    Options
    Ok so I did it at Week 5 Run 1. I think I will repeat this run tonight as I found it hard on the last 5 minute run and I see that the next one is two 8 minute runs. I feel as though I can do it as while I'm running although tired, I seem to get spurts of energy every now and then if I power through it. My breathing is absolutely fine but my calves get so tight. They seem to get tight during the walk and then make it difficult to run again.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Ok so I did it at Week 5 Run 1. I think I will repeat this run tonight as I found it hard on the last 5 minute run and I see that the next one is two 8 minute runs. I feel as though I can do it as while I'm running although tired, I seem to get spurts of energy every now and then if I power through it. My breathing is absolutely fine but my calves get so tight. They seem to get tight during the walk and then make it difficult to run again.

I realize it's not the "C5K way", but if you're breathing OK and the legs feel good, I'd recommend to either just keep going or just slow down the run slightly instead of walking. I've always found that dropping back to a walk while running always tightens things up too much...I'll only walk if I have no choice (usually due to cramps of some sort).
  • mysti77
    Options
    Thanks, I am probably near the end of the jogging/walking after my next run and from there it just increases time so hopefully that helps