Spin Class

Options
Going to take a real ryder spin class Saturday. I am doing this with a groupon, so I have 20 classes! WOOHOO!! Any advice? Should I shell out the money and buy the funny click/clack shoes? The butt pad shorts? Wear a helmet? (just kidding about the helmet)

Just looking for a little PUMP ME UP please!

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Oh you'll have fun! I hope you instructor is good. I'd only buy those spin shoes if you decide you're really into it.

Please, get the butt pad shorts though. And report back.
  • Janet72285
    Janet72285 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Get there early and ask the instructor fit the bike to you. This is very important. Also bring water and a hand towel for sweat. Try to get a good amount of time out of the saddle (seat) to give the bum a break or your pelvic bones will ache the next day. That's all i can think of. Hth! Have fun!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    My key spin class items are a towel and WATER!!! Spin is pretty awesome but tough, I think you'll enjoy it.

I go quite regularly so will be investing in some cleats for the bike but I would recommend doing a couple of classes before this purchase to see if you'd want them. You shouldn't need to cycling shorts as you don't get the vibrations from the bike as you would traversing in the great outdoors.
  • tom_the_bikeman
    Options
    most important for a beginner is comfortable clothing (cycling shorts are a plus!), a towel and water. I've led classes for over 10 years, and I've ridden with cycling shoes (road/look & mtb/spd) as well as birkenstocks or street shoes when forgetful. I've even led a class in my kevlar motorcycle pants (major forgetfulness there)

As has been mentioned, go early and get your bike fitted to you and note the settings. You'll be much happier then. Also...the class is ALL ABOUT YOU...spinning lets you have a group effort yet be individually working.

Enjoy yourself!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Spin classes can be great.

Cycling specific pants make a huge difference. Borderline worth it if you only do these 20 classes - maybe if you can get a pair on clearance. But if you have a bike and ride some, or if you go to a couple of spin classes and you enjoy it and think you'll do more, then yes, definitely, get bike pants. This is the season when summer weather cycling gear goes on sale (or soon will be). Check the clearance rack in your local bike store. You might gasp at some of the prices but good bike shorts are worth it.

Shoes with cleats are also a plus if you wind up going to spin class on a regular basis, but you don't absolutely need them. Most spin class bikes have cages/straps you can use with regular gym shoes. Again if you have your own bike or wind up doing a lot of spin classes, the cycling shoes are nice. Be aware there are compatibility issues with both shoes and cleats, so don't jump into this until you know what is going on (most spin class bikes use SPD cleats, and they're not a bad choice for your own bike).
  • Hab1978
    Hab1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd hold off on the shoes until you decide if you really enjoy it or not. The padded bike shorts are a MUST!!!!! Also be sure to take a towel and water bottle with you. Have a great time! :)
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Feeling like this studio is sketchy, you have to RSVP for class, which i did, but they didn't take my name down. Odd.

Anyway, going tonight to buy my padded butt pants! Going to hold off on the shoes for now, but thank you everyone for pointed out the towels! I honestly would not have thought about that!
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Spin is my exercise of choice, I think you'll love it.

In addition to all the great suggestions, I want to add that you need to sit far back in the seat, especially the first couple of classes. Your behind WILL hurt, but you can ease the pain if you scooch back as far as you can in the seat. Don't let the pain deter you, keep going and by the third class you will be fine.

And, yes, I would wait on shoes, but if you really like biking I would recommend cycle shoes. Not only do you clip in to help your full range of motion (and help engage your hamstrings) BUT they are very rigid and help to keep your foot flat and stable. Over-pronation is no joke, take it from me.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you don't need the fancy shoes or padded shorts. Your, err, "undercarriage" will be sore the first one or two classes, but after that it will be fine. If your legs rub when you pedal you may want to invest in some good spandex but if they don't regular workout clothes should be fine. I LOVE spin- its by far the most sweaty, calorie burning workout I do and it can be a lot of fun with good music blasting. As others have said make sure to bring plenty water and hydrate a lot after! My first spin class when I was super out of shape I had to take a break halfway through because I was a little dizzy, so just know your body, be safe, and have fun!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Is this a spin studio? If so, you will have to rent spinning shoes. Which is pretty minimal. They will also provide towels if you didn't bring your own. Also, show up early so you can get a lay of the land and adjust your bike and also learn how to adjust the tension and get in and out of the clips if you have to rent the shoes. I would look online just to be certain so you are prepared for it.

Don't push yourself beyond your limit. You may feel like you need to keep up, but don't. It is your first time and no one expects you to be an expert. Also, expect your butt to be sore even with the padded shorts. It is natural.

Make sure to keep your head up. Don't lean on the handlebars or hunch over them. When you do jumps, try to use more of your core than your arms to pull you up. Try to keep you feet as flat as possible. It is common to want to tilt them forward.

Best of luck.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Should I shell out the money and buy the funny click/clack shoes?

Cleats are entirely optional. It won't change your experience that much so up to you.
    The butt pad shorts?

Cycling shorts are recommended but again optional given the length of the class. See how you go. Chamois cream can also be your best friend.

In general saddles are meant to be hard and partially support (although not totally support) your weight on your sit bones. That said you will be out of the saddle quite a lot...

Wear a helmet? (just kidding about the helmet)

Looool. Do it!
  • evitaevita12
    evitaevita12 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is by far my favorite exercise, you will love it! :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1 - get their early and have the instructor fit your bike; bring a notepad to write down your numbers

2 - padded shorts are a big plus. we're going into fall so you should be able to find some on clearance. Wal-Mart sells some cheapos...I wouldn't really use them cycling, but they might be ok for spin

3 - You can hold off on shoes until you know you're going to be into it or not...I personally don't know how I ever managed without them, but I ride a lot and spin occasionally.

4 - remember that it's your ride...if you need to slow down then do so...if you need to pull out of a climb, pull out of the climb. remember that this is your first time...you don't need to show off.

5 - have fun
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I love spin classes. As others have mentioned water and a towel are the most haves along with making sure someone helps you adjust your bike properly. Shoes and "spinning" specific clothes can wait until you are hooked and they are always optional. I would try out the groupon but not join unless you don't have a full service gym in your area that also has spin. I did the same thing and I found the regular price offered after the special rate was about the same as a local gym that also had other classes, tons of machines, weights etc. I always include spin classes but find the variety keeps me from getting bored (and off the coach!). Also, I found weight work is needed to round out your fitness plan. Have fun!
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My instructor recommended a maxi pad, if you don't want to invest in the shorts! :) The soreness goes away after the first few classes.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    1 - get their early and have the instructor fit your bike; bring a notepad to write down your numbers

Especially this as well...
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Feeling like this studio is sketchy, you have to RSVP for class, which i did, but they didn't take my name down. Odd.

Anyway, going tonight to buy my padded butt pants! Going to hold off on the shoes for now, but thank you everyone for pointed out the towels! I honestly would not have thought about that!

They probably just want a head count so they can cut off RSVPs when they reach the max amount of bikes they have. I have been spinning for about a year without the padded shorts and I just bought myself some and wore them to my first class and WOWWWWW. Big difference! I strangely found them on the clearance rack at TJMaxx for $25, really good brand. Have fun!!
  • drlaugh4u
    Options
    I've been a spinner for 23 months now.

It was a love hate thing in the beginning.

My brother has cycled for years, and after 25 Plus years of suggestions, I took the plunge.(or rather the seat.)

After a few months I got the bike shorts and a year later got the shoes.

From a I want to cry or throw up reaction, I look forward to 2 to 5 classes a week.
    Average about 3 a week.

I really like the app where it breaks down micro nutrients and mixing the exercise and calorie intake.

Results I'm down 40 pounds and up 2-4 pounds, net loss about 36-38 pounds.