Having a hard time getting the calories in...

Options
I have been working on changing my lifestyle for the past week, and just joined this site for more tools. I logged in my food yesterday and found that I was in the 1000-1100 range in calories. I am losing weight right now, but I know my body will go into starvation mode, soon!

Today, I decided to try to up my calories to a more reasonable amount, and made a bowl of homemade apple cinnamon oatmeal (400ish calories), and I can't even eat a fourth of it.

For a little more information:
I have been drastically changing my eating habits over the last week. I wasn't a binge eater, more of a two-meals-a-day-eater. Those meals weren't particularly healthy, and I killed my metabolism by eating only twice.

Now, that I've changed my diet (whole grains, smaller/more frequent meals, no processed sugars, and veggies) I am having a hard time meeting the 1200-1400 calorie goal that I have.

Other than nuts (which I am already eating), what are some good foods that have a little calorie boost, and won't kill my new healthy resolve.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, you just need to eat a bit more of the nutrient dense foods: nuts, cheese, avocado, cooking foods in Olive Oil, peanut butter, protein bars or shakes (higher calorie ones) and even more dairy.
  • freedomwriter88
    freedomwriter88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you just need to eat a bit more of the nutrient dense foods: nuts, cheese, avocado, cooking foods in Olive Oil, peanut butter, protein bars or shakes (higher calorie ones) and even more dairy.

Simple enough! Thank you. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Honestly, the biggest thing you should do is get adequate protein in your diet. Not only will it help with satiety, it helps with maintaining your lean body mass. Adding weight training helps that too (and IIRC, that will help with the loose skin you were concerned about). After getting protein, you can add ice cream and other items you enjoy to your to ensure you get enough fats and carbs. Heck, when I bulked, I would eat peanut butter off a spoon.
  • freedomwriter88
    Options
    Honestly, the biggest thing you should do is get adequate protein in your diet. Not only will it help with satiety, it helps with maintaining your lean body mass. Adding weight training helps that too (and IIRC, that will help with the loose skin you were concerned about). After getting protein, you can add ice cream and other items you enjoy to your to ensure you get enough fats and carbs. Heck, when I bulked, I would eat peanut butter off a spoon.

You have reasonable, helpful advice, may I add you?
  • psuLemon
    Options

You have reasonable, helpful advice, may I add you?

Of course.
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. On days where I'm busy, I find I don't feel has hungry and will be below calories. My sister suggested eating a spoonful of peanut butter when I find my calories for the day on the low side. It will give you the boost in calories, plus some protein. If I'm really low, or actually kind of hungry, dip some apples in the peanut butter.

I'm still trying to find my balance between calories in and calories out, so this little trick has helped. I was never a big eater, in that I didn't eat huge portions or all day long. I just made really poor food choices and wasn't active. I've been trying to make better choices, but often find that the same amount of food I'd eat before, only from a healthy source, is not a whole lot of calories. I'll find my balance and you will too :)
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I swear I'm jealous of all those who are so full on next to no calories. LOL I am at 1510 right now, get somewhere between 70-100+ grams of protein in every day and still have times where I'm hungry.
  • meg091380
    Options
    I am not a doctor and do not play one on TV, but I think the whole "starvation mode" is very misleading. Inadequate calories do not slow weight loss. If that were true, concentration camps would have had a very different outcome. Several articles have been published about this "starvation mode" fad.

On the other hand, natural peanut butters without a lot of added sugars are great, cheese, small servings of red meat. For me personally, anything with high protein and low carb/sugar does well for adding calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I swear I'm jealous of all those who are so full on next to no calories. LOL I am at 1510 right now, get somewhere between 70-100+ grams of protein in every day and still have times where I'm hungry.

if it makes you feel better, I have 1000 calories more than you and still hungry. :laugh:
  • PattiBaldwin88
    PattiBaldwin88 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat where I'm having a hard time eating enough at meals. It's easier if you break everything down into 4-5 small meals throughout the day. I'm set for 1600 calories, so I'm aiming for a 400 cal breakfast and 450 for lunch and dinner plus 2 150 snacks.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

^^This. I'm slowly inching toward maintenance level slowly, and dang if a spoon of peanut butter, avocados, and extra olive oil come in super handy. And if you take dairy, there's always room for a big glass of milk, or even a 1/2 cup of good, yummy ice cream after dinner.
  • freedomwriter88
    Options

We all come in different food issues. I know some people gain weight due to medical, but most of us gained due to what we ate.

I think I am SO scared of overindulging, that it has helped cause me to taking in that few calories. That isn't healthy either.
  • freedomwriter88
    Options
    I am not a doctor and do not play one on TV, but I think the whole "starvation mode" is very misleading. Inadequate calories do not slow weight loss. If that were true, concentration camps would have had a very different outcome. Several articles have been published about this "starvation mode" fad.

On the other hand, natural peanut butters without a lot of added sugars are great, cheese, small servings of red meat. For me personally, anything with high protein and low carb/sugar does well for adding calories.

You can lose weight if you only get a few calories a day, but that has a negative affect on your muscles. I want to tone/build muscle as I lose weight, so that I naturally burn more calories.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have days where 1400 doesn't feel like enough and days where I struggle to meet 1200. I try to make sure I am within the 1200-1600 range everyday. If I am having a hard time getting up to 1200 I will add higher calorie foods with my meals like sweet potato or black beans. Also, peanut butter like others have suggested.