Yoga its not just for Hippies!

Options
Working out was something I never wanted to do. This week going to alot of the classes my gym offers, and excersising on a few machines I came to this conclusion.

I LOVE YOGA!!!! I wish how I wish I had done this years ago! Why must I be so pigheaded all the time. Thinking to myself mmmhmmm. Yoga is for hippies. No way are you going to get me into dog. Chuckling out loud to all the wacko's.

Well sign me up as a hippie wacko people!! I love the stretching, how my body feels so gooooood when I am done. My chi seems right. Sounds nuts? Well it works! After every Yoga class I find myself longing for the next class.

I cant do all the moves yet, not even close. But today I got my head all the way down on the mat in childs pose!!! Its only been a week! Soon I will be able to get my body in all kinds of funky positions! My husbands going to love that :P HAHAHA

My instructor recommended AM/PM for continued instruction at home. The program I had purchased I really dont like. They start in one position then pause filming, and get into another position without "getting" you into that position like my instructor does. I hope that is making sense. I am really hoping AM/PM is better!

Does anyone have any recomendations for beginning yoga dvd's? I would love to be able to do this after my workouts and in the am to start my day!

Namaste

4070642.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

SW 222
GW 145
CW 213
MG1 199 by 02/14/11
MG2 174 Treat myself to a few new clothes
MG3 149 Buy all new undergarmets at Vicky's Secret

Final Goal 145 Maintain for 6 months Buy a whole new wadrobe!

Replies

• finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    I cant make it to yoga classes as much as I would like- and still consider myself VERY much a beginner.

I enjoy the AM/PM yoga dvd by GAIAM. I found my copy at a Barnes & Noble last year, but it looks like they are selling it pretty cheap through amazon now. Saw one online for only $5. Definitely worth checking out!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I do a class called Body Flow which is mostly yoga - I love it too! I hurt my back a week ago so I haven't done the class this week but did some stretching classes geared to older people - can't wait to get back to my challenging body flow though!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee AM Yoga For Your Week. Very simple, straight-forward yoga. The dvd has 5 20-minute practices on it....very easy to fit into your day. It is now available at Target for a very reasonable price.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Namaste to you. :flowerforyou:

There are many different forms of yoga, so there is a style to suit everyone, you just need to find it.

I have practiced Ashtanga Vinyasa, Iyengar, Bikram, Shivananda and Hatha. I find that Ashtanga suits me best. It's fast and involves no chanting. :laugh:
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Rodney Yee AM Yoga For Your Week. Very simple, straight-forward yoga. The dvd has 5 20-minute practices on it....very easy to fit into your day. It is now available at Target for a very reasonable price.

Oooo I need to check this one out! Rodney Yee does the AM section of the DVD I mentioned above- but its only one routine over and over. Would love to expand a bit and I really like him!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I actually use podcasts and youtube for yoga instruction :) It's cheap, and if you've taken classes in the past and know what a typical yoga flow feels like in your body and maybe the basics in some poses, I find it to be the best option.

on youtube I used to use Yogatic's beginner 1, 2 and 3 (then I'd go back and do 2 a second time before finishing) plus the core workout. Now that I'm a bit bored with that flow, I downloaded Tara Stiles' podcast through itunes (it's free) and I do yoga for weight loss and yoga for weight loss challenge. I open them using quicktime 7 so that I can slow it down and challenge my body more.
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I love doing hot yoga too! I sweat more when i do that then when i run sometimes!
  • jennygurumi
    Options
    I have gone to a bunch of Ashtanga classes before and once I tired Bikram hot yoga..I really liked that. Right now I am going through a phase of low self confidence so I am doing a dvd at home. It is the Am/Pm that was mentioned. I just ordered another disc of Kundalini yoga because the description claimed to help heal past hurts (it is coupled with meditation apparently) and I like the sound of it. Hopefully I will regain some self esteem soon and be able to find a new yoga class in the area where I live. The Ashtanga is a bit fast paced for me at this time in my life. :heart:
  • BiloxiBelle
    Options

Oooo I need to check this one out! Rodney Yee does the AM section of the DVD I mentioned above- but its only one routine over and over. Would love to expand a bit and I really like him!
    Well his newer one, 'Ultimate Power Yoga' is set up the same way....5 20-minutes practices. But don't let the 'ultimate power' scare/fool you. It's not really that much different difficulty-wise from the AM For Your Week. SO if you like the AM 4 Your Week, you'd probably also like the Ulimate Power.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    I think with DVDs it's essential you get one by a well known yoga master, not some random celebrity.

For Ashtanga Yoga, DAVID SWENSON is the man! Google him.
  • BiloxiBelle
    Options
    I think with DVDs it's essential you get one by a well known yoga master, not some random celebrity.

I'm not sure Rodney Yee can be classified as a random celebrity (or really any kind of celebrity)...although he has appeared on PBS & Oprah! :smile:
  • backinthenines
    Options

I'm not sure Rodney Yee can be classified as a random celebrity (or really any kind of celebrity)...although he has appeared on PBS & Oprah! :smile:

I didn't say that he was. It was a general observation.