Shortness of Breath

Options
I am fairly new to MFP. I'm 57 and have never really been fit, but it's now my goal to become fit enough to run a marathon in my 60th year. I should also report that I smoked tobacco for approx 40 years, haven't had a cigarette for almost two years. No lung problems so far. I think my problem is more mental than physical. I gained about 25 pounds after giving up tobacco and am trying to get those off, but never having really worked at fitness I don't know what to do when I get short of breath. I usually panic and stop what I am doing until I can catch my breath.

My morning walk includes a parking garage that has 6 levels, > 100 stairs. I cannot get past the 3rd level when I try to run the stairs. I get short of breath, panic and stop to catch my breath. I am currently on the 30 day shred level 2 and today I had to stop and catch my breath while crying from the frustration of having to stop and catch my breath.

Can any of you fit folks give me any advice about working thru shortness of breath and controlling the panic? This blocked me from running an entire 5k and I entered 3 last year. I am entering another this spring and would really, really like to be able to run the whole thing. I'm already worrying about being short of breath. Any advice welcome & thank you in advance.

Replies

• peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i think your doing right by stopping however keep moving a little until you get your breath back and then start again where you left off. It will take time to build yourself up to that cardio level but it will happen.
  • MyViolet
    MyViolet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great job at working towards your goal! I am wondering if you are working out with a heart rate monitor? The one I use lets me know when my heart rate is too high for my age and weight. I also notice that when my heart rate is too high, then I lose my breath. If you find that your heart rate is in the proper target zone, then you can keep working through the shortness of breath. But if you heart rate is too high you NEED to slow down.

I wish you the best in your goals!
  • keta6atl
    Options
    hey LG....awesome goal you have!....I would make sure that your shortness of breath..and panic attack IS mental and not physical....I would recommend getting a full workup by your physician...and possibly get a pulmonary function test......I know this may sound like a lot...but ...you want to make sure that everything in your bod is in working order...make sense?...
    Rob
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    See your doctor and tell them about your new lifestyle and plans. They will make sure you are physically okay and where to start... then the panic should subside.
    Also start slow... it takes a while to build cardio endurance but you will find the benefits right away(more energy, wider awake etc.). If you over do it you won't want to keep going, and it takes a lot of out of a person (physically and emotionally) to keep is up.
    I start by jogging to a lamp post and walking to the next. Then I jog past two lamp posts and walk to the next one. That was last April and now I'm running 5k's straight!
    Oh, I used to smoke too! You can do this!
  • nctc521
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking and moving towards an amazing goal of a marathon! I have asthma and can become winded easily at times. I have found that if I control my breathing from the start it is easier to not panic. Try breathing in a pattern. Count it out if it helps. Depending on my activity I will try breathing -in in out with quick rythym or in for 3 counts and out for 3 counts.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Are you getting short of breath from anxiety/panic, or from the walking/running? I've suffered from anxiety and panic problems for many years, and the best advice I can give you is to pace yourself. When you feel yourself panicking, stop to relax your mind and catch your breath. Take a deep breath through your nose, hold it for a second and slowly release the breath through your mouth. Do this a couple of times and tell yourself that you are okay and there is no reason to panic. Focus on your breathing when you feel yourself getting anxious or when you're panicking and it should help. The key is to get your mind set on one thing so your mind isn't racing.

I have had many panic attacks and they are very scary to go through. You feel like you can't breathe, you feel dizzy, cold, nauseous, your heart is racing and sometimes heart palpitations happen. The best thing to do is to stop what you are doing and try to keep your mind focused on something, most importantly your breathing. That way you'll realize that your breathing is normal and you are fine.

I focus on my breathing, relax my mind and tell myself out loud that I am okay and there is no reason to feel anxious. It's important that you repeat the reassurance to yourself out loud, as it takes it a step further than mentally reassuring yourself. HTH! :)
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself. It's hard to jump right into running if you haven't done it before. Start with walking first. Brisk walks, with changes in terrain, and inclines. Work your way up to running. Shortness of breath is normal if you are starting an exercise routine. However, shortness of breath with normal daily activities, is not. When you do become short of breath, lessen the intensity of your workout. Example, if you are running, become SOB, stop running and start walking until your breathing becomes easier. If you have any wheezing, or chest pain when you become SOB, see your Primary care physician before continuing an exercise routine.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies. I am in good health, was just at my Primary physician's last week. I think part of the problem is my age. When I was a teen girls weren't allowed to play full court basketball. I think we were told that our lungs weren't capable of it. I was not in shape as a teen and was put in remedial P.E. - did you know there was such a thing? Your responses are helpful and I will try tomorrow to count my breaths to keep them under control as I start the stairs. I am so grateful that I found MFP!