Whole30

Options
Planning on doing Whole30 in September! Has anyone done it? Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA!

Replies

• jancie84
    jancie84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • hkbwalker
    Options
    I'm on week 2 and I couldn't be happier! I feel so amazing. I've never slept well, but after three days of the challenge I was sleeping better than I have in years. Plus the energy boost is pretty spectacular. :)

Starting wasn't really too difficult for me - thankfully. I think part of it was because I had just made my mind up that I was going to do it and I didn't even entertain the idea of eating the way I did before.

My first week, I broke a big rule. I was stepping on the scale every morning. I lost 6lbs, which is amazing, but I'm going to try to stay off of it until day 30. It may sound odd, but stressing out over what the scale says is something I associate with the way I was eating 2 weeks ago. I don't want to associate stress with the way I'm eating now. I know that I'm getting healthy, I know that my hormones/body need to heal, so I don't want a number on the scale to take away from my happiness with getting healthy. Besides, I can feel what's happening in the way my clothes are fitting.

There are a couple things that have helped me. One is a stocked fridge. I always make sure that I have some crisp, raw veggies handy. Another is sweet potatoes! I have discovered how much I love them! Never really ate them before, but I've had them baked and crispy during my first week and they are amazing! I make sure if I have one, it's only small/medium sized....and it hasn't slowed me down at all. I also have found that going to bed a little earlier has also helped me to feel like a million bucks. If you haven't read "It Starts with Food", I'd recommend getting it and starting it. What a great read and inspiration! Loved how they simplified everything. Finally, I try to ignore the nay-sayers. There are always going to be people that tell you you're not doing things right. I've heard how paleo isn't healthy, how it's not sustainable, etc. You know what? It's working for me! I haven't felt this healthy in a long, long time.

Feel free to add me!

~ Heather ~
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I did it a couple years ago and it was fine.
    I didn't get the "mind-blowing OMG this changed my life" results that a lot of people report, but it was cool to be more conscious about my shopping, cooking, and eating.
    The best tip I'd say is to plan ahead, cook in advance, and have approved food available. I had to resort to an unripe avocado once and that was no picnic. :)
  • CarlaEsther5
    CarlaEsther5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,I started Whole30 today! I am excited and planning on doing it by the book :)
  • BrandNewAmy
    BrandNewAmy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A friend just finished up Whole30 and lost 11 lbs. I'm thinking of starting on Sept. 1 as well. Good luck!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Mindfulness is NEVER a bad thing.

ETA: In fact, given my sleep issues, I may try it myself one of these days...:happy:

PS: the paleo group on here is a good place for whole30 folks to hang out. No silly comments, no dog piles, no absurd gifs. cheers.