Doctor Said 600 Calories a Day Was Okay?

Options
I've been here long enough to have a general idea of what's usually considered healthy and whatnot which is why, after a recent visit to my doctor, I'd really like your opinion. I started off at 361 pounds, and I'm down to 235, but at 235, I'm obviously still overweight. I'm okay with this, and exercise 4-5 times a week.

I recently went into the doctor to get a new primary care doctor. I recently found out I had a single gallstone, and now they want to take my gallbladder (that's a whole 'nother issue). Anyway, I've had some concern about my eating habits lately because, since the gallstone, my research has told me that a low-fat/no-fat diet is what's best for me. However, since a lot of my older diet used to have fat in it, I'm still struggling with what to eat. This means that my caloric intake has been around 600-800 a day. However, I don't feel hungry - but I feel bothered by it since it feels like I should be eating more.

Anyway, I brought this up to my doctor. His exact words were "Well, you are morbidly obese. Does this eating help you lose weight?" I answered that it did, and he said that that the caloric intake was fine as long as I was losing weight. His next statement included something along the lines of "If you were thin, then we'd have to be worried about your food intake." He then said, since I'm overweight, we should do diabetes and cholesterol testing. I'm overweight, and as I'm sure other people on this forum can attest to, as an overweight person, you do get used to this obvious bias from the healthcare community.

I'm 80% sure what my doctor said was wrong, but I'm mostly interested in this: should I keep my doctor (with the understanding that his nutritional information is BS) or should I attempt to find a new one? I want to know what experiences you guys have had since it's going to keep costing me money to try and find a new doctor (yay crappy insurance!)

Replies

• CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'd find a new doctor.

While I don't see much wrong with 600 calories if you are feeling satisfied with it, his response wasn't about satisfaction and healthy lifestyle.

We are the same weight and my doctor has never talked to me like that even while working closely with me to get my weight under control.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    First ((HUGS)) I have learned that some doctors just don't care and I try not to let them get under my skin. To me 600-800 sounds too low but then again I weigh 312 so yeah. However, I think maybe you should just make sure you are getting all your food groups in each day and see where that goes. IMHO losing weight isn't everything. You HAVE to be healthy about it.
    I too have had my gallbladder removed and I have had the "we should test you for ...." conversation a lot. I even had a doctor say "Wow I was pretty sure that because of your weight you were diabetic".

I would say that you should find a new doctor or perhaps a NP (Nurse Practitioner) I love mine. She can do everything that my previous doctor did, less wait time to see her and she seems to really care.

Good luck hon.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Well, morbidly obese people will have more fat to derive energy at around 30/cals/lb/adipose but it's still very low calorie consumption......I suspect that you'll binge frequently, which will kinda negate the low calories.......try upping the calories to around 1500 or so.....trust me you'll still lose weight. The biggest drawback for you will be daily required nutrients, which you don't want to mess with going forward.......
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I would report him, at minimum to the branch. His commentary was absolutely inappropriate and non-conducive to the conversation at hand.

Your caloric intake is way too low, and it will do more harm than good down the line. I would recommend speaking to someone educated and licensed in nutrition, and finding a new doctor to help create a meal plan that is helpful for your body, without overly restricting you.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would get a new doctor. Are you doing the low/no fat thing because of the gallstone? I'm asking because I accidentally went through a period of eating very low fat (under 10 grams a day and sometimes none) when I was vegan, and it really f's up your health. I lost hair and all sorts of stuff, and I was still overweight at the time. It took forever for us to figure out what was happening because I just didn't realize that I wasn't eating enough fat because it didn't seem like a possibility to me. I was a vegan for about 9 months with the low fat thing happening in the later months (at first I kind of lost it eating that high-fat coconut milk ice cream). It doesn't take long for it to start effecting you.
  • cathleenbowman
    Options
    I do not agree with your doctor. I am morbidly obese and currently 300lbs and my doctor has told me that anything less than 1200 calories a day and your body thinks it is starving and will convert the energy to fat thinking it needs to save the calories. I have been eating this way and in 1 week I lost 8lbs. I think my doctor is on to something.
    I was told by my doctor that it takes about 2000 calories a day to maintain your body functions. So keep that in mind when eating. The big thing my doctor told me is to watch the carbs. I would say you need a second opinion about that calorie intake.
  • mistress_kay
    mistress_kay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The ER doctors said "NO FAT" (they were very strict about this) until my gallbladder was removed. Since I think removing an entire organ from a single gallstone doesn't sound like a good idea, I've been slowly increasing my fat to see what's okay and what isn't. At the moment, I stay between 15-20 grams a day, and I haven't noticed too many health side effects. It's definitely because of the gallstone, though. I loved so many foods that had decent fat - including my old protein shakes. :(
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    find a new doctor Now. it's amazing that some of these people made it out of medical school.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Your doctor needs a reality check. I can understand the lower fat because of the gallbladder. So many people I know have had to have theirs taken out and have needed to adjust their diet accordingly. But to insinuate that you should eat that low of calories for a long period of time (and not under a very carefully monitored hospital-sponsored diet) is insanity.

Also, those people that have had to adjust their diet have never eaten that little before or since, except during times of extreme nausea where eating at ALL was daunting.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Why would you stay with a doctor that didn't have your health as their main concern?

First - congrats on your weight loss so far - that is amazing!
    Second - you are correct, 600 calories a day - especially with exercise is not healthy. Any doctor worth their medical license knows this.

As I understand it, a low fat diet is the best for gallbladder issues. But from what I've seen in friends and family members is that it's fried foods, way to much butter or olive oil that can cause issues. Try some healthy fats - avocados, nuts, etc. to help with the calories.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You should figure out your macros. Flexible dieting seems to make the most sense to me. I've lost weight the "meal prepping" boring chicken, rice, and broccoli way. It definately works, but when I cheat, I binge because I have deprived myself.. Shoot me a message and I'm more than happy to help :)
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    600 calories is never ok, you need a new doctor and I'd report this guy.

Chose a calorie target appropriate to your goals and weight, I'm a 5'8 male and I'm losing weight on 2,060 calories per day and that does not include calories I get from working out at the gym. My wife is eating at 1,600 calories per day not including exercise and is also losing weight.

I'd like to keep my muscle mass and not go from fat to skinny fat after reach my goal weight. Slow rate of weight loss with heavy lifting also helps mitigate muscle loss, which is my goal. I also don't want to pass out and die from only eating 600 calories per day. I suggest you do the same.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You sure it wasn't Dr Seuss?
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would most definately find a new doctor. 600 calories is NOT ok, even if you are overweight. Shame on him :( Sorryl! You want to have a good relationship with your primary doctor and he is not starting out in the right tracks. Find someone different and if you can express your concerns on a comment card or something, I most definately would.
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Interesting post- as I just had a similar convo with my doctor (mine was much more compassionate). My doctor advised me to keep my calories at 1000. I said that goes against everything I read and hear about the body needing at least 1200 calories for BMR. I know all BMR's are different, but I thought all the talk meant that NOBODY should go below 1200.

He explained to me that he has many patients with BMR's less then 1200 and have several at 600. Yes- they only need 600 calories to keep their body functioning. He said that some people just have very low BMR's and I am one of them (I do have thryoid issues, which was why I had the appointment, because I was having symptoms- but he said my levels are perfect). My doctor is well respected by other health care workers (they rave about him everywhere I go).

So that is probably one of the reasons why your doctor wasn't concerned about eating 600 calories if you felt fine on it. Now, this doctor's bedside manner wasn't the best-that alone would be the first reason I would be looking for a new doctor.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's okay. The tinfoil-hat-wearing people love to trot out the old "starvation mode" myth that was disproved over 60 years ago, but like a zombie, just won't die. How much do you think people that have had *successful* weight loss surgery are eating? Certainly nowhere near 1000 calories, much less over that. As long as your calories aren't made up by empty fluff like starchy carbs (potatoes, rice, breads, grains, cereals, etc.), and are eating dairy in moderation (although a good source of protein, is still high in carbs due to lactose), and you're filling up on proteins and veggies, you can be perfectly healthy and lose weight on that few calories. After all, veggies hardly contain any calories, so the bulk of your calories would be coming from proteins and fats. It's very hard to eat anywhere near 1000 calories worth of veggies in a day...unless you're a wood chipper.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Sorry hun, new doctor, and I pray that you find a more educated and caring one.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Some Doctor's have no bedside manner.
    As for the 600 I've always heard never to go bellow 1200. Though I know my Grandmother's sugar was so high her Doctor told her no Carbs ( bread, pasta, rice). She did lose 20 lbs. in the first month but none since.
    As for the gallstone.....I'd avoid greasy foods. Mine didn't show up on an ultra sound. My Chiropractor did suggest a supplement called A-F Betafood ( Standard Process is brand name) says take 2 per meal. I rarely took them since cutting back on the greasy food mine has calmed down.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Nothing he said seems incorrect or particularly biased.

-You are satisfied at your current intake
    -You are losing weight well (great job BTW)
    -Morbid obesity has huge health risks (that he is probably appropriately focused on)
    -You are primarily concerned about his medical advice based on other people's non-medical advice from an Internet forum
    -Why would you not want tested for diabetes and cholesterol?

If you have specific concerns, perhaps you should discuss them with him or get a second opinion. Even crappy insurance surely has more than one primary physician option?

You seem very focused on calories. If you are eating quality food and satisfied with this - would you have felt better if he suggested that you should make sure to also eat a couple cupcakes every day to increase your calories to an Internet forum approved level?

As far as the gallstones go... It mostly depends on how much pain you are willing to deal with before you get it removed.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    recommended to lose weight 1000-1600cal
    or goal weight multiply by 10