I made Mexican Rice

Options
For my kids to eat with leftover chicken and peppers from our dinner last night for tonight's dinner (yay leftovers, cause we're on the run) and it smells so bloody good that I debating reworking my food log to fit some into my lunch, lol.

Replies

• princessbessica
    princessbessica Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What is Mexican rice? It sounds yummy!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Care to share a recipe? I made some for the first time last night and I definitely sort of just played it by ear.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    2tbsp oil (vegetable, olive, whatever you like), I cup long grain white or brown rice.

Toast the long grain rice in the hot oil until it starts to brown. While this is going on, I added onion powder, cumin, garlic and black pepper(I didn't measure, sorry). Then add 1/4 cup tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of whatever salsa you like, and 2 cups chicken stock (I used low-sodium). Bring to a boil, stir, turn the heat down to low and put the lid on, let simmer for 20 min, then take off the heat and fluff.

My house smells so good!!!
  • elleloch
    Options
    That sounds excellent! I just threw a cup of rice and 2 cups water in my rice cooker with a drained can of rotel, and then added some random enchilada seasonings - LOL!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Ooh that sounds good too.

We already have a big bowl of leftover seasoned chicken with sauteed peppers and onions, so I didn't veggie up the rice :) I think I need a rice cooker.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    man- I feel like I"m getting fancy when toast the rice then throw a chicken bullion into the pot with the water.

That does sound delicious!
  • elleloch
    Options
    It was alright - I think it was definitely missing something. I will try broth next time.

I never needed a rice cooker until I stopped using Minute Rice. Now I just buy regular rice and I always burnt the absolute crap out of it, lol. I don't really like having SO many appliances but I really do dig my rice cooker - very simple and perfect every time.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    2tbsp oil (vegetable, olive, whatever you like), I cup long grain white or brown rice.

Toast the long grain rice in the hot oil until it starts to brown. While this is going on, I added onion powder, cumin, garlic and black pepper(I didn't measure, sorry). Then add 1/4 cup tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of whatever salsa you like, and 2 cups chicken stock (I used low-sodium). Bring to a boil, stir, turn the heat down to low and put the lid on, let simmer for 20 min, then take off the heat and fluff.

We do ours the same way and it is so good! I also like to throw in cumin, garlic , chopped cilantro and two whole jalapenos in the rice while it simmers. YUM!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Yum!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options

We do ours the same way and it is so good! I also like to throw in cumin, garlic , chopped cilantro and two whole jalapenos in the rice while it simmers. YUM!

I do this too! I love cilantro.