Chicken breast has how many calories?

Options
ajbeans
ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
I'm immensely frustrated right now. I made a recipe tonight with boneless, skinless chicken breast, and I went to add it into my recipe thinger on here. But I can't get a straight answer on how many calories there are in a pound of raw boneless, skinless chicken breast. The entries are all different, and I get crazy answers. And then I saw a recipe someone posted in the forum here saying that a completed recipe was only 80 cals per breast, which is far lower than anything I'd found for it raw. So can someone point me to a reliable source for information on raw meats? Maybe a place that doesn't rely on user-submitted info?

Replies

• mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have boneless skinless chicken breasts that are exactly 100 cals and only 1 gram of fat :) hope that helps!
  • aussiemama
    aussiemama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    this happens with a lot of food :( I attempt a 'best guess' as a guide most of the time. I am Australian, currently living in Japan. it's very difficult. Go with Guesstimates and know that you are eating healthy with foods like this
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    Chicken Breast are not all the same. This is the problem. You should add you own chicken to the list and use it. Take everything off the package so you have what yours says. If im not sure about something I always go with the higher calories that way im not under estimating something. Nothing is perfect so just go with it.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Chicken Breast are not all the same. This is the problem. You should add you own chicken to the list and use it. Take everything off the package so you have what yours says. If im not sure about something I always go with the higher calories that way im not under estimating something. Nothing is perfect so just go with it.

It was raw, store-brand. The only thing on the sticker was how much was in the package and how to not kill yourself with salmonella. :-/ I'd just settle for a good average at this point. Some of the numbers were really high, and then some were really low. Vast differences.
  • Kasey1021
    Options
    This is a very helpful link...thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The other thing you have to watch with poultry is the soloutions they add to the meat and the sodium content. Watch the lables for "broth added" "soloution added" "with soloution" etc. Makes a massive difference. Perdue sells two products nearly identicle in appearance but one has additives, 60 more cals per portion and 650mg sodium per portion. I believe the portion size is 4oz.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    The other thing you have to watch with poultry is the soloutions they add to the meat and the sodium content. Watch the lables for "broth added" "soloution added" "with soloution" etc. Makes a massive difference. Perdue sells two products nearly identicle in appearance but one has additives, 60 more cals per portion and 650mg sodium per portion. I believe the portion size is 4oz.

Ah! Well that explains why the numbers were so different. I'll have to talk to my grocery store butcher and get some more info, I guess.