Dizzy hours after walking

Options
So it has only been 2 days (yesterday and today) but I have been getting dizzy an hour or two after I long walk. My kiddo started Kinder (Yesterday) and I choose to walk him to school. Its about 2 miles round trip. Then shower and drive to work and walk to the office. After about an hour or so my head starts hurting and I have been getting dizzy. I do have water and a light snack before going on the walk but just curious as to if I am doing something wrong or if I just need time to adjust to it.

Replies

• cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I am not eating enough through the day
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    eat more and stay hydrated
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What is your daily intake?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    without knowing your current fitness level.. I am going under the assumption that exercise is somewhat new to you... and I'll share my experience with you.. I began my fitness journey a couple of years ago... at the gym... after having lead a very active life (prior to marriage) I found myself looking in the mirror and wondering WTF have I been doing to myself?... it was that "aha moment" anyway...

first day at the gym... no prep... just got changed and headed for a cardio machine.. (elliptical... still my poison of choice) ... SO... best intention... set the machine for level 1... and "cardio" keep the heart within 3-4 BPM of 135.. how tough could that be?

away we go... 3 minutes in... what??? am I sweating... wh.. why am I light headed... 6 minutes in... ohh I don't feel good... wh..why am I getting all shakey... 9 minutes in... Hmmm am I gonna be the guy the paramedics cart out of here? Thank GOD the fire hall is just across the road... 12 minutes in.. I better get off of this thing before I pass out or throw up all over the place... whew!!! thank goodness that's over with...

12 minutes... that was it... I had to walk around to get myself together... I found a massage chair...sat down... closed my eyes.. until I found "normal"...a combination of anxiety, lack of fitness, lack of preparation... lack of understanding my body... I stuck with it... eventually I worked up to 45 minute stints on that same machine at a level 7... pushing the heart rate to 165 on short intervals... except.. to get there... I have a snack of some kind.. usually a clif bar...or Builder bar 1/2-3/4 hour before I work out just to make sure I have the energy to complete the task at hand...I make sure my water bottle is full... and check my determination to make sure... that is where it needs to be too.

BUT take note... if you have not exercised in a while body chemistry comes into play... as you exercise endorphins flood your body... creating a "high" that will allow you to complete your task... in the beginning it feels like "light headed...almost "out of body"... eventually you get used to that sensation... and it all but goes away (except it doesn't you just get used to it being there).. BUT it is important to fuel the exercise too...so consider taking a snack with you on your walk...eventually you will get used to being a little light headed after a work out.. it is perfectly normal...

if the light headed dizzy thing continues after a week or two... see your doctor... Good luck!!!
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I do walk on the weekends. IE 2 miles at the park or zoo but its usually just the weekend. The last 3 days I have done at least 2 miles per day shortly after getting up. So yeah it is kinda new to do that much.

My intake is plenty. MFP says I can eat like 2090 or something but I have been trying to keep it at 1600 or less each day. Funny enough yesterday and today it hasn't been hard because with being dizzy I don't feel like eating.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do you monitor your blood pressure? One common effect of decreased calorie intake and increased exercise is lower blood pressure. And one common effect of low blood pressure is -- you guessed it -- lightheadedness.

I'm not saying that's what you're experiencing, just raising it as a possibility. See your doctor for an actual diagnosis.

In my case high blood pressure is a worry when I'm overweight, so I've come to enjoy the mild lightheadedness that signals lower BP. But I have to be careful it doesn't get too low and lead to fainting.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :bigsmile:
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy occasionally from exercise, I found it can be any one (or a combination of) the following:
    1. Not drinking enough water
    2. Low Iron (I got blood work done and my doctor recommended iron supplements)
    3. Low blood sugar
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My intake is plenty. MFP says I can eat like 2090 or something but I have been trying to keep it at 1600 or less each day. Funny enough yesterday and today it hasn't been hard because with being dizzy I don't feel like eating.
    I do have water and a light snack before going on the walk but just curious as to if I am doing something wrong or if I just need time to adjust to it.

I'm surprised no one has suggested an electrolyte imbalance.
    I don't know where you live, but it is frikin' hot where I am. I SWEAT when I walk.

What do you eat before you walk?
    Do you avoid salt in general?
    Your daily calories sounds fine, and it is good you eat and drink before you walk, but what do you do after?
    Do you more than just hydrate?
    Do you replenish the salts you have lost and have a post-workout meal planned that includes things rich in potassium?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    eat more and stay hydrated

Simple yet the best advice. I used to have mega head aches when I was younger when I started working as a waiter which is a super active job and has you working in a hot kitchen. Started drinking more water and the head aches went away and never came back.