Recipes for the Cooking Failures

Options
This is rather sad, and I know it, but- I'm 28 years old, and I can't cook. Please take this post as the self deprecating humor that I mean for it to be, and feel free to laugh at me.

I never had to help with the cooking growing up, something I'm not happy about now. The most I did was hover nearby to steal the prongs off the mixer to lick the raw cookie dough off it. Or sift the flour (honest to god, I still have no idea why I sifted that flour, not like there was anything to be sifted out of it). So when I got out on my own, I resorted to things that I could eat straight from the cupboard or from a microwave, or fast food. It's been that way a long, long time; the few times I've tried something more complicated, I get lost. To put a point to it, I literally messed up making toast in a toaster once. (Nobody ever told me that you butter the toast AFTER you toast it. Yes, yes, go ahead, please laugh.) My family and friends have called me the ultimate female bachelor, chugging fruit juice straight from the carton and messing up the simplest of cooking tasks.

I'm not afraid of trying new things; it's just that even when I look up simple recipes, I get to things like 'season to taste' and 'you'll know when it looks done', and I'm like....no, I won't know, because I have literally never done this! There's a list of like 16 ingredients, sauces and seasoning and if you mess up the meat you die of not-cooked-meat, and I tend to go back to what's easy. When it comes to possibly dying of raw fish poisoning because of my inept cooking vs. dropping by Wendy's on the way home, well, obviously one is more attractive of an option for me. Hint: it's the one that doesn't end in the headline "Girl tries to cook salmon, dies of salmonella because she shouldn't be allowed near a stove!"

Really, I want to eat more diverse stuff. I've traveled all over the world and eaten so much weird crap- I ate fried silkworms in Korea, I LOVE Thai and Indian food, in China I didn't know what I was eating most of the time but it usually still had a head and tail attached, and Japanese food is my true love. I had Edamame recently at a restaurant and now I'm craving that, but can you even buy that at a store? Does it need to be cooked a certain way or not at all to be that delicious? Heck if I know. If I google it I'll probably end up with 52 million edamame recipes that all call for the blood of my first born, seasoned to taste. I'm scared to look.

What I really want is simple recipes that are easily portioned out for a week of dinners/lunches. Chicken, veggies, fruits, fish, that kind of stuff, but I need to start from the bottom, and every recipe place online seems to think all their readers actually understand the language they're speaking on Master Chef rather than sitting at a desk eating mac and cheese and thinking "hot darn, that looks yummy and I'll probably never eat it because I don't have a clue what they just said it is". I have so many beginner cookbooks and somehow I'm beginning to think I need pre-beginner cookbooks. Like, life size Barbie 'My First Stove!' style cookbooks.

I hope this has at least been entertaining. I also hope that someone can point me in the right direction. Please go easy on me, my ego is already so crushed in the cooking department that I don't think it could be flatter if I was sitting at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

(Though I have eliminated all soda from my home, and now drink mostly fruit juices and green tea- and in the past year I've lost 30 pounds, despite my crappy diet. Take that, unhealthy lifestyle!)

Replies

• Mary8812443132
    Options
    Hi dear...
    you can cook simply when go to this social network and read their recipes and experiences many chefs around the world...
    Link: http://foodeaser.com/en/
    Cooking is one of the best entertainment for me,I really enjoy it...
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

I never had to help with the cooking growing up, something I'm not happy about now. The most I did was hover nearby to steal the prongs off the mixer to lick the raw cookie dough off it. Or sift the flour (honest to god, I still have no idea why I sifted that flour, not like there was anything to be sifted out of it). So when I got out on my own, I resorted to things that I could eat straight from the cupboard or from a microwave, or fast food. It's been that way a long, long time; the few times I've tried something more complicated, I get lost.

What I really want is simple recipes that are easily portioned out for a week of dinners/lunches. Chicken, veggies, fruits, fish, that kind of stuff, but I need to start from the bottom, and every recipe place online seems to think all their readers actually understand the language they're speaking on Master Chef rather than sitting at a desk eating mac and cheese and thinking "hot darn, that looks yummy and I'll probably never eat it because I don't have a clue what they just said it is". I have so many beginner cookbooks and somehow I'm beginning to think I need pre-beginner cookbooks.

2l9o5rt.jpg

Consider browsing through this site: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/food-drink/cooking-recipes/understanding-cooking-recipes.html
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    OK, the main is to jump in and try. Don't be scared of "season to taste" that just means add a bit of seasoning, taste it, if you like it leave it alone, if it seems bland, add a bit more. You will have recipes that fail. That's OK. You'll learn from those too. I'm a pretty good cook and occasionally make something that flops. A couple of weeks ago I made some strawberry cheesecake bars that were so bad my sugar addicted 6 year old wouldn't eat them. So you toss that recipe and try again some other time.

A thermometer can be really useful for learning to cook meat. Just remember that the temp will continue to rise after you take the meat of the heat. Take it off about 5 degrees before it hits the temp you want. Most thermometers will have desired temps for different types of meats listed.

Basic roasted chicken http://shewearsmanyhats.com/basic-roasted-chicken/

Honey lime marinated chicken http://www.grocerybudget101.com/content.php/322-Key-West-Grilled-Chicken I also add a pinch of red pepper flakes to this.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a student cookbook?

Most people here go off to University and never cooked a day in the life. I'm pretty sure if you search the worlds 'healthy student recipes/cookbook' in google you'll be returned with lots of easy, cheap and portion controlled recipes. I know my friend has lots of them- even a lot of the normal student cookbooks contain a lot of healthy food. We have one in England that is quite good and was written by a mother whose son was off to University. It has the most easy awesome peanut butter cupcakes in! I think it's called Nosh for Students, but I'm in the UK and didn't clock where you were. They have plenty and many include a front page about staples to have in, measuring, how long to cook eggs/meat for.
  • jnelson1028
    jnelson1028 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Google "Five ingredients or less recipes"... It's not as overwhelming that way

and you can input the recipe into MFP to get calorie counts.
  • stephylynn190
    stephylynn190 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    OK, the main is to jump in and try. Don't be scared of "season to taste" that just means add a bit of seasoning, taste it, if you like it leave it alone, if it seems bland, add a bit more. You will have recipes that fail. That's OK. You'll learn from those too. I'm a pretty good cook and occasionally make something that flops. A couple of weeks ago I made some strawberry cheesecake bars that were so bad my sugar addicted 6 year old wouldn't eat them. So you toss that recipe and try again some other time.

A thermometer can be really useful for learning to cook meat. Just remember that the temp will continue to rise after you take the meat of the heat. Take it off about 5 degrees before it hits the temp you want. Most thermometers will have desired temps for different types of meats listed.

Basic roasted chicken http://shewearsmanyhats.com/basic-roasted-chicken/

Honey lime marinated chicken http://www.grocerybudget101.com/content.php/322-Key-West-Grilled-Chicken I also add a pinch of red pepper flakes to this.

This ^

I love my meat thermometer. Also oven roasted veggies are super easy and always delish. Toss them in EVOO, sprinkle on salt and pepper, and bake at 400 for 20-40 min depending on the veggie. Just check it often to see if it's soft and starting to chat a bit. Also, look into crock pot meals. Nearly every recipe calls for you to just toss it in the pot, no pre cooking required.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    >Season to taste means check to see if it needs more salt or pepper before you serve it.

>This is a good book --
    4 Ingredients or Less Cookbook: Fast, Practical & Healthy Meal Options

>Start watching youtube:
    Here is a very good one for French Toast:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Jj9iS-cGo

>I see in your future some kitchen gadgets and appliances.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I never cook anything but pasta and a couple easy dishes until a year ago! Even now, if a recipe has more than 5 ingredients, forget it, but I'm improving and I've made a bunch of new dishes in the last months. But it's easy enough to throw some chicken on the grill and nuke veggies :laugh:
  • gotonenerveleft
    gotonenerveleft Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Invest in a crockpot. Tons of recipes on the web. Dump the ingredients in, set the timer, when timer is done, you have food !!!. You can always prep meals in advance and put in the freezer, Look for crockpot freezer meal recipes. This is a small step in cooking but at least it's cooking. Good luck!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Years ago, when a friend left her husband even after he had given her a string of real pearls, he actually said, "But who'll cook." Yes, it was back in the Madmen days. She told him, "If you can read you can cook."

That's basically true, especially with easy access to the internet and all the cooks, like me, who can't help but share information about how to do it. The thing is, you start out terrible and get better through time. Although I've been cooking as an adult for over 40 years, I still, on occasion, feed whatever I've made to the trash or the garbage disposal. It happens. But most of what I make is pretty good -- at least that's what hubby and I think and since we are the only ones eating it, that's all that matters. You only need to worry about the people who are actually going to eat it. No one else's opinion really matters on a practical basis.

You had to learn how to drive a car until it became second nature. The same thing with cooking.

Now, as far as the reading part goes, just plan to look for and follow instructions. I can't tell you how long to cook the noodles and macaroni I have on hand. I do know that it says on the boxes and bags of most of them how long to do it. For those that don't, I can usually find a reasonable estimate online. I have trouble remembering what temperature to look for in some meats, so I look it up and then poke in a cheap (ca. $5) instant read thermometer to see if my chicken's done. I even poke a thermometer in loaves of homemade bread to see if they are going to be cooked through.

I avoid difficult stuff until I find someone on the web, especially Youtube, who can show me how to do it easily. I was always awful at cutting up a chicken until I learned how to butterfly one from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8tMEwBnSA. I found that making spanakopita is simple from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQITqEJ-TvQ

Then you start making adjustments to fit what you want to do. For example, I use less oil in my spanakopita by dipping the brush in oil like you would in paint instead of pouring it on.

Anyway, have fun with it. If you follow someone's instructions for cooking something and find it doesn't taste good to you, don't make it again or tinker with the recipe until it does work for you. For example, I don't like the crust on homemade Italian bread to be as dark as some do so I cook it at a lower temperature for a little longer. Works for me! And that's all that's important.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I can eat anything. I even eat the failures. It's never all that bad.
  • Riluu
    Riluu Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the help, everyone! <3 And thanks for being nice. I'm checking out all the links, and I hadn't thought about checking out YouTube videos for the simple stuff- I don't know why, seems like common sense now that I think about it. :P

I'm going to make up a battle plan, read all these resources, and give it a shot. At least I can make toast correctly now, if nothing else. *ba-dum tss*