How do you eat your quinoa?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I love this stuff but I find it quite boring as a side dish. It's kind of bland and I was wondering how you can eat it other than a side dish.

Thanks!

PS. I just recently discovered quinoa and it's VERY filling! I had it tonite with my garden burger and I'm completely satisfied! That was 3 hours ago! YAY!!!!!!!!

Replies

• cyndi101
    Options
    what is quinoa?
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I eat it in place of rice basically. I love it with stir fry. You could add a little olive oil and garlic..its super yummy that way!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XliMny3AvnE

Filmmaker David Lynch makes quinoa for your entertainment (and his dinner).

Quinoa is a grain. It's very nutritious and simple to make- like rice.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but I heard it's great, nutritionally. Very "carb" like but filled with protein. Definitely interested in comments on this thread for ways to try it!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    what is quinoa?

Oh girl you need to try this stuff! It's FULL of protein and VERY filling! The box I am reading right now says it's the supergrain of the future. lol. Supposedly, it's an ancient grain from South America. I got it in the rice aisle at my grocery store. For 1/4 cup it's 172 calories, 2.8 grams of fat, 1 mg of sodium, and 6 grams of protein. It's kind of bland but VERY filling. The protein is awesome! You need to get some! :)
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    I usually have it in place of rice in a stirfry - would love to see what everyone else does too!
  • anovasjo
    Options
    Other quinoa ideas:

- make some extra during dinner time and save it in a tupperware in the fridge. In the morning, pour milk on it, add chopped apple and raisins, agave or maple syrup, chopped walnuts, and cinnamon.

- make quinoa burgers: cook up some quinoa, add veggies (like cabbage, sundried tomatoes, grated carrots), spices (cumin, paprika, black pepper) and bind it together with ground flax seed.

- Grind up uncooked quinoa in a powerful blender to make quinoa flour. Mmmmm. Use the flour in pancake recipes and baking.

- add a cup of quinoa to soup or use in your favourite chili recipe!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I eat it with stir fried veggies... It's great with a bit of balsamic vinegar and regular veggies too!
  • jennygurumi
    Options
    I just eat it with vegetables.

My Mom was telling me that my sister makes hers with pomegranate and I find that interesting.
  • jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm thinking that quinoa is kinda like grits. No real taste of its own, so I add some depending on the dinner I am making.

I usually make it with chicken broth instead of water and I throw lemon juice and garlic in it. This really jazzes up the taste. I will also add steamed veggies (broccoli or asparagus) in it for a one-dish side.
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    It can be really bland but I just saw a recipe that uses it instead of rice in a stuffed pepper recipe.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I like mine with diced yams, zucchini, tomatoes, and a bit of tomato paste and fresh herbs for lots of flavor!
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    Options
    I found this recipe was delicious!

Quinoa with Apricots and Pecans

Prep Time:15 min
    Start to Finish:35 min
    makes:4 servings

3 tablespoons chopped pecans
    2/3 cup quinoa
    2/3 cup orange juice
    2/3 cup water
    1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    2 green onions, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1. In small nonstick skillet, toast pecans over medium heat, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted. Tip onto a plate; let cool.
    2. Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer; rinse under cold running water 2 minutes. In medium saucepan, stir together quinoa, orange juice and water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl. Add apricots, raisins, green onions, cilantro and toasted pecans. Stir in lemon juice, oil and salt.

Nutritional Information

1 Serving: Calories 240 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 310mg; Total Carbohydrate 40g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 18g); Protein 5g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 4%; Iron 20%
  • anovasjo
    Options
    Yeah don't forget to rinse the quinoa well before you cook with it.... VERY important because it can frequently be gritty otherwise.
  • LaurieB2002
    Options
    This sounds very interesting, I am going to have to try it.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    I've eaten it cold, similar to pasta salad. If I remember right, it had minced onion and bell pepper mixed in. Soooo goood!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make variations of quinoa salad . The basic recipe is equal parts cooked cooled quinoa, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber. Then I vary from there.

* A handful chopped parsley and a bit of lemon juice and it's tabouleh without the bulgar wheat (I skip the traditional olive oil)

* Some shredded carrots, a dash of soy sauce and a tbsp or two of ginger/garlic paste makes it Asian

* Some cilantro, green onions, and several tbsp of green or red salsa and you're south of the border

* Substitute sugar snap peas for the cucumber and toss in a few good pitted kalamata olives and a bit of feta cheese, and it's Greek Heaven (stole this one from a fabulous vegetarian wedding reception!)
  • wondergirl1003
    wondergirl1003 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just started using it and I cook it with chicken stock instead of water (as another poster had mentioned). I also throw garlic, diced onions and a diced jalapeño in there before it boils. The jalapeño adds a little bit of spice to the whole thing, but not too spicy. I suppose you could also make it like rice pilaf with peas and carrots.

Can't wait to see other posts on this!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I actually don't think quinoa is bland at all! I find it delicious with just some butter and garlic powder.
  • cyndi101
    Options
    ok I will look for it the next time I go into town...thanx : )